Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - June 30/July 1 - Fricken awesome!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - June 30/July 1 - Fricken awesome!

This is the deal - I was up flying today in the mountains, going down to Taos NM over La Veta Pass and by Alamosa, and then back to Centennial Airport via the town of Creede, then Westcliffe, and up behind Pikes Peak. I've never spent any time in the SW part of the state, but I have to tell you some of the areas I flew over today were absolutely amazing, and look like some sweet roads for a planned trip.

I'd like to do some kind of multi-day ride down there late-Juneish with a small group. This is not a ride for newbies, will involve a LOT of miles, and you better be prepared for varying weather; it's late June, which means sunshine, thunderstorms, and anything else that one might find in the altitude range from 6-14k feet. Because of the distance, this just isn't something that can be covered in one day or easily bailed on if you find you don't like it halfway through. You'll know after reading that if this is the ride for you.

So if this sounds like something you're interested in, post up for the first CSC multi-day Southwest Colorado (SoWeCo) ride! Looking for ideas on routes, as well as some small establishment we can take over for a night.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Re: 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride

You gonna do it on the DR?

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    You gonna do it on the DR?
    Yup!

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Shuweeeet!

I'm gonna put this down on a list of wishes I've going for my summer off. I've been down to SWCO and NWNM and absolutely love those areas...so much scenery and beauty and yeah those roads would be fun on a bike.

Ok then..."things to do"...1. trip through swco, 2. overnighter with a few pals, 3. ? Man, I love summer!!!!

Edit: This is NOT a "for sure", but a definite consideration for me.
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Sat Apr 21st, 2007 at 08:19 AM.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Just rolled in from the Cortez area. Yes, there are a lot of good roads and sand was nearly none-existent.

Need more details:

• number of peeps going - we can do a cabin and split costs
    • choice of place to base out of (Durango? Pagosa Springs? other suggestion?)
    • dates
    I'm starting to think this may be doable. It's at least one thing I would like to do this summer.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Suggestions:
    160 Pegosa - Durango or 550 Montrose - Durango (Red Mountain Pass)
    160/184 Durango - Delores (Delores river)
    145/62 Delores - Ridgeway (Telluride Valley)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Welp, there's the San Juan Skyway scenic drive http://www.coloradodirectory.com/maps/skyway.html
    Then there's the Enchanted Circle drive in NM if basing out of Pagosa Springs http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2082/travel.html

So many choices...

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    ....Then there's the Enchanted Circle drive in NM if basing out of Pagosa Springs ...
    Ah yes, New Mexico...Land of Enchanted Drivers.

There's all kinds of good smaller roads off the San Juan Skyway loop too.
    (LOL, never knew it had an official name).
    Last edited by Sortarican; Mon May 7th, 2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Opps New Mexico not Arizona
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

dunno if this will help...

http://motorcycleroads.us/co.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Ah yes, Arizona...Land of Enchanted Drivers.

There's all kinds of good smaller roads off the San Juan Skyway loop too.
    (LOL, never knew it had an official name).
    You do know that I meant the loop in New Mexico that's just north of Taos, right? It can be reached from Pagosa Springs pretty easily, as it's in the North Central part of NM.

Yeah, I've spent many summers as a kid and when I was married, w/wo kids, playing around in the SW parts of CO. Lots of amazing scenery and wonderful roads to explore.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Shuweeeet!

I'm gonna put this down on a list of wishes I've going for my summer off. I've been down to SWCO and NWNM and absolutely love those areas...so much scenery and beauty and yeah those roads would be fun on a bike.

Ok then..."things to do"...1. trip through swco, 2. overnighter with a few pals, 3. ? Man, I love summer!!!!

Edit: This is NOT a "for sure", but a definite consideration for me.
    Here's what we did for 6 consecutive summers. It was a blast:

http://www.swbike.com/articles/contdiv/index.html
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Here's what we did for 6 consecutive summers. It was a blast:

http://www.swbike.com/articles/contdiv/index.html
    Dude! I know I've seen that a while ago...completely forgot about it. I'm definitely putting that one down on my list...w00t!

Sounds like Cathy may be the route planner on this one! I'm hoping to get a discount on a Corbin seat so my bony ass can handle 2 days on that thing, and a few other accessories here and there.

Hopefully we have a real list of who's going in the next couple weeks. Let's set the date now as June 30/July 1, two full days of riding, good stories, etc. Cathy, if you want, figure out how far we're likely to get over some good roads on the 30th and what town we will end up in, and I can try to find some place we can all crash for the night.

If you're going on this ride, post up your name now! I don't know that there is a limit, but again, I will be making some sort of overnight reservation based on this, so please only put your name in if you're serious about going.
    1. Ralph
    2. Cathy
    etc

than sincere ignorance

Re: 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - June 30/July 1 - Who's going?

W00t! Me? Route planner? Cool beans!

I'm gonna take a looksee of my map and will get back with some more details. Oooooo...this is gonna be some fun!

Ok, so here are some suggestions for routes. Two different routes going down and two different routes coming back.

1. Littleton to Durango ... http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/mapro...54584868760064

2. Littleton to Pagosa Springs
    http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/mapro...52878284949567

Going home...
    3. Durango to Littleton...
    http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/mapro...57034465235794

4. Pagosa Springs to Littleton...
    http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/mapro...59564280734469

Ah, the choices. There's 2 different towns to stay in. Durango is rich in history and has many, many choices of places to stay and dine. Pagosa Springs is known for its mineral springs. Although I've never stayed there, I know there are some good places to stay. Eateries? Not so sure.

Sign me up. Its a rare occasion that I'm off for the weekend and not on call. Just the right time to get out of town!

Cool routes! Don't know if I'd rather stay in Durango or Pagosa, so I'm open to whatever on that one.

At the moment there's only a few of us going... Come on kids, add your name to the list and come on out for a great weekend!

than sincere ignorance

I'll go.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Ok then, so let's see...this is what I'm thinking...

Stop in Durango:
    Use map #2 going south and instead of stopping in Pagosa Springs, continue to Durango. Just add another 60 miles to the total, making a grand total of about 500 miles. As long as we leave early enough, we'll get there with sunlight left <crosses fingers>.

Here's a summary of the mountain passes we'll hit going down:
    • Ute Pass
    • Wilkerson Pass
    • Trout Creek Pass
    • Monarch Pass
    • Slumgullion Pass
    • Spring Creek Pass
    • Wolf Creek Pass
    The return route might deviate a bit from the posted maps, but it still includes the San Juan Skyway.

So, 500 miles in one day? Doable?

I might meet you all in Buena Vista or Salida (Ponca Springs). Depending if Uncle Larry is home.

Is this ride going to come together? Looks as though there are only 4 people with interest. If it is still on what are we looking at as far as overnight accommodation costs? Also 500 miles to Durango, sounds like we would be moving at a good click to make it by sundown. What will be the depart time and from where?

Come on people, Sign up for this ride! If this falls though I will probably end up tiling a floor or something and that would suck!

This ride is on, anyone else who doesn't make it just sucks. I even have a new seat for the bike on order so I can handle the miles, because that much distance on a stock dual sport seat is like ass-suicide. Not sure what overnight costs will be, other than probably cheap. We don't need 4-star accommodations or anything, just a hot shower and breakfast in the morning. I also don't mind sharing a room with whoever, unless you snore like a chainsaw, in which case you will wake up on the lawn.

Cathy - that route sounds good to me! I'm all for an early morning departure; it will be cooler outside, and we'll have time to stop for some pictures of the scenery and what not - you know, like to actually enjoy the place we're visiting instead of just blasting through. I'm on a DR650 so I can't really go balls-out fast anyway (though that thing corners amazingly well).

500 miles in a day is very doable; we did about that much going to Bishop's Castle and back a few years ago on the Jessica memorial ride and still got back before sundown, even with a late start and a lot of stops. I will caution you, my carpal tunnel in my wrist has been bugging the shit out of me lately. If I fall back that is why, because I may need to just drone on for a bit and get the weight off my wrist. That's another reason I won't be going crazy fast....

than sincere ignorance