Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - June 30/July 1 - Fricken awesome!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - June 30/July 1 - Who's going?

Well, I'd like the bikes to be there in the morning, but I'm all for going low-budget (mainly because after getting the bike ready for a "distance" ride, I have no more money to ride it. ). If that means sleazy, well, cool. As long as shit isn't crawling on me at night (that includes you Jeff ) I'm open to ideas.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Well, I'd like the bikes to be there in the morning, but I'm all for going low-budget (mainly because after getting the bike ready for a "distance" ride, I have no more money to ride it. ). If that means sleazy, well, cool. As long as shit isn't crawling on me at night (that includes you Jeff ) I'm open to ideas.
    If it crosses your mind than you must believe it would happen. I'll stay up in Silverton just to be sure it doesn't. I say we camp out and save even more $$ for beer

Here's a link to all the places in the area: http://www.durango.org/HotelsMotels/

The further away from the Narrow Gage Railroad (downtown) you stay the cheaper.
    Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Mon Jun 18th, 2007 at 01:52 PM.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

CDOT 2007 Construction Map (.pdf format)

http://www.dot.state.co.us/travelinf...constmap07.pdf

There are a few projects on the current route posted. Nothing outrageous.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Construction projects matter not to those on dual sports.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

And the threat of hemorrhoids is of no concern to those who ride large displacement Kawasucki's for 500 miles.

So ----- you might want to hang a right out of Lake City and do the dirt route over Cinnamon Pass to Silverton (550) then south to Durango. If I was on the bike you're going to ride that's exactly what I'd do.

http://www.atvtrails.org/cinnamon_pass.html

There is also the route across through the heart of the San Juan's that passes Rio Grande Reservoir. The route goes over Stony Pass into Silverton.

Both routes are spectacular and aren't that difficult. You most likely will get to Durango the same time the rest of the group lands ---------- nah We'll save you a cold one

I need a dual-sport again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    And the threat of hemorrhoids is of no concern to those who ride large displacement Kawasucki's for 500 miles.
    Touche.

Actually I have a Corbin seat on order through Erico for the bike, I am hoping Jenny works her magic and gets it here in time. The dirt-oriented Corbins have the wider padding in the back to prevent anal distress, but are still narrow in front like a normal dirt seat so you can get forward and stand on the pegs.

That dirt route looks fun! Downside is I'm still very inexperienced on the dirt, so I don't want to play on that by myself. Buy a DS Jeff, I'm gonna start a "Roads are for Sissies" riding group and go find all the ways through the mountains the assholes in RV's and sedans just can't touch.

than sincere ignorance

I am in for sure on this ride!!! As long as my wrist is alright by then(don't know if it's fractured or just torn ligament yet...x-ray pending) I've been planning on it but June has flown by! I'm down for a major case of monkey butt and can't wait to get down SW! I figured anyone from the springs would hook up with the northies in woodland park, just curious what time to expect you guys/gals? I usually fuel up at the shell just east of 67 on the south side of 24 (meet up there?)
    Last edited by firegixx600; Wed Jun 20th, 2007 at 08:03 PM.

Firegixx,
    What's up with the wrist? 10 days before trip, it should heal. Ace wrap, Advil and ride.
    No one has named a good spot to meet yet in Woodland. This sounds as good as any but I'm not sure where the Shell station is. Below are #1 Diamond Shamrock, #2 is Loaf N Jug. The Loaf N' Jug is a Conoco station. Do you have an address for the Shell?. As far as time???? I'm not sure the time from Littleton to Woodland. Anyone?
    Cathy? You are the mapping guru. What time do you think we should meet in Woodland if we head out of littleton by 7:45?
    Toby

The lovely wife gave her approval so I'm in for sure now I just ordered a tail bag from Luggage locker - they make custom bags depending on the type of bike - pretty cool deal.

http://www.luggagelocker.com/

The bag is large enough for a full faced helmet so it should be fine to hold a change of shirts, socks and some room to stuff my layered gear in when its hot and then take it out when its cold 30 minutes later =P

I'm going to call around to the Yamaha dealers tomorrow to try and find one that has the 07 R1 comfort seat in stock as my butt hurts after a long ride as it is.

I'm also looking for a hand held GPS unit but I can't remember my damn PayPal password and it locked me out =/

Should be a bitch'n good time!

As far as Woodland Park, Gixxer and I live close, we could meet with you folks there - Theres a starbux, a walgreens, a McDonalds - all off the main road (24). What time should we be in woodland park?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    Cathy? You are the mapping guru. What time do you think we should meet in Woodland if we head out of littleton by 7:45?
    Toby
    I think we should be there around 8:45 - 9:00. Just let me know the exact place to meet up, so that I can find it on mapquest...or, post it up and we'll be there.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    Firegixx,
    What's up with the wrist? 10 days before trip, it should heal. Ace wrap, Advil and ride.
    No one has named a good spot to meet yet in Woodland. This sounds as good as any but I'm not sure where the Shell station is. Below are #1 Diamond Shamrock, #2 is Loaf N Jug. The Loaf N' Jug is a Conoco station. Do you have an address for the Shell?. As far as time???? I'm not sure the time from Littleton to Woodland. Anyone?
    Toby
    It must be the conoco then, my bad. I know the diamond shamrock is actually on hwy67. I don't care how much my wrist hurts, i'm going on this ride. I'm a paramedic student as well, so i have a pretty good idea what i can and can't do with it. Riding=YES

As for meeting in Woodland, the Conoco(not shell)basically the SE corner of hwy24 and hwy67, you can't miss it. I suppose we'll plan on being there at 8:30-8:45am
    Last edited by firegixx600; Thu Jun 21st, 2007 at 12:29 PM.

Re: 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - Accommodations

Ok, guys...I need to hit all of ya at once, cuz this back and forth PM'ing can get wearing on a person. I need to know who has what perferences. I need those preferences NOW!!!

I found a place north of Durango about 5 minutes. Here's the website http://www.ironhorseinndurango.com/suites.htm. The family suite is doable, with 2 queens, 1 double, sleeper couch (possible) and rollaway, but only if you all don't mind sharing a bed...otherwise, we gotta go somewhere's else. Get my drift? This particular family suite rate is $124/night, with military/senior discount already figured into the cost.

Get back to me ASAP! Got it?! If not Iron Horse, then I'll try elsewhere's.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

I say if time is of the essence just do it, but that's my opinion.

than sincere ignorance

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Sounds good to me!

Actually, Iron Horse has a coupla family suites available. It's the vacation homes/condos that are either not available, or have multi-night stay requirements. If we choose to do 2 family suites, then of course double the cost, but it's still reasonable at possibly no more than $40/person.

Ok kiddies. Here's the deal. I reserved one family suite at the Iron Horse. The rate was still doable even after the $10/person extra past 2 charge. The grand total is $180.24 after tax. That's still $25/person. Gas will cost somewhere around $150 for the weekend (for me) and then we've got food. This could be a weekend of fun and merriment for right around $225., give or take based on your eating habits.

I can cancel that reservation, though, in lieu of finding a better place.

This family suite has 2 bathrooms, so just be aware of that and maybe a couple of us will have to rough it on the floor. Other than that, you'd better tell me you want something different, or I will leave the reservation as it stands.

Payment is due upon arrival/departure, so don't worry...the only thing on my credit card is the reservation.

Sounds good to me. And Ralph can bed down out on one of the balconies overlooking the Animus River

I also checked with the people at Iron Horse to find out about the safety of our bikes and was told we will be able to park the bikes right outside the room. They don't have covered parking, or anything of that nature. So, just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    I also checked with the people at Iron Horse to find out about the safety of our bikes and was told we will be able to park the bikes right outside the room. They don't have covered parking, or anything of that nature. So, just a heads up.
    I suggest bring a disk lock.

KSUT presents The Iguana's Live at the Durango Mountain Resort (Old Purgatory) on Saturday night the 30th

http://www.durangomountainresort.com...&feature_ID=95

Bank of the San Juans presents...The Iguanas in a dance concert to benefit KSUT
    Saturday, June 30, 7 PM at Durango Mountain Resort. Tickets only $20 and available at all 3 Bank of the San Juans locations; Southwest Sound; and by phone at KSUT 970-563-0255. Lodging packages available through Durango Mountain Resort.

The great New Orleans dance band The Iguanas will be back on June 30 for their third annual concert to benefit KSUT at Durango Mountain Resort.

While the bands' roots are firmly in New Orleans, they also incorporate Mexican conjunto and norteno styles with a voodoo twist. Despite their well-deserved reputation as the ultimate party band, New Orleans' Iguanas have always had a flair for melodies and lyrics as well as grooves.

"No matter what song they played, the Iguanas showed how mature their sound is, as well as their lyrics. With ghettodelic guitar grooves and airy accordion accompanying dreamlike bilingual lyrics, the Iguanas did not disappoint. The flawless, butt-shaking concert was as good as the thick sonic gumbo that the band played. It proved two things: We need a new Iguanas release and we need the Iguanas to return more often." Durango Herald, July 12, 2005
    Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Thu Jun 21st, 2007 at 03:17 PM.

Cathy,
    All sounds good in regards to the overnight accommodations. I'm happy to grab some floor if we are short on bed space, so I will bring a bag.

I will also be bringing an Ongard cable lock that will cover two wheels if not 3 along with a disk lock.

Sounds good. So is the plan to ride to Durango and ride back the same route the next day?

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Sounds good. So is the plan to ride to Durango and ride back the same route the next day?
    No --- different route on the return.

By way of passes down =
    • Wilkerson
    • Trout Creek
    • Monarch
    • Slumgullion
    • Spring Creek
    • Wolf Creek
    Coming back (this is what I will most likely do)
    • Coal Bank
    • Molas
    • Red Mountain
    • McClure
    • Independence
    • Fremont
    • Eisenhower Tunnel
    You can ax
    • McClure
    • Independence
    • Fremont
    • Eisenhower Tunnel
    and just go directly east on 50 from Montrose to Gunnison then do
    • Monarch
    • Trout Creek
    • Kenosha
    There is also the North Rim of The Black Canyon as a possibility (CO 92) from Delta (Hotchkiss) to Gunnison.

So many options ------- so little time