Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Orlando race school

Ricky Orlando race school updated

*****EDIT*****
    Class will start at 7AM on Tuesday 6/26/07
    ****EDIT*****

See you people out there on June 26th. But I am sure I will see some of you sooner.

Advanced Track Session “race”:This course is designed for the aspiring road racer. Rules of the track and bike prep, cornering, braking, body position, identifying turns, attitude and proper line choice are covered. This course is MRA accredited and successful completion qualifies you for your novice license. Current racers looking to improve lap times will also befit from this course. 5 hours of track and classroom time. Full leathers and gear required. Students provide bike.$275
    Last edited by Slo; Thu Jun 21st, 2007 at 01:48 PM.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Re: Ricky Orlando race school

J, let me know when you settle on a date and I might be interested.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

I'd be interested in this one.
    I talked to him a long time ago and I believe he will do a group rate if we get enough people.
    I would like to take it, but would like to hear from some folks that have taken it cause I've heard you dont get the 1 on 1 time that you do from other schools.
    If it turns out to be not all that good of a school to take I'm just gonna do the supertune deal and the pmp safety class. So I can do trackdays and go to another school next seasion.
    Last edited by N1KSS1KS1x; Tue Apr 24th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Ricky has a great school that's worth taking. good on you guys for going and doing it!

I have taken his class....you will learn a lot if you have not been around the track much. Also you will learn some other skills that are essential to be safe and improve your technique....have fun!

Yeah, I don't consider car time on the track the same as on a bike, neither do I consider IMI in the past month, "track experience" either so the class I am sure is needed for myself. Haha, I could definitely use any help that I can get.

I am still going back and forth with e-mails with R Orlando so hopefully in the next week or so we can set a date.

Is there any specific days during the week that anyone prefers? I am pretty much open to anything except Wednesdays, I just have to request a vacation day.

I took his class like a year ago, but I took the hard rider, non race oriented version. We didn’t go over track rules and flags, just track exit and entrance procedures. We did it at IMI; it was my first time at a track. I have to say, that for the money that I paid, it was not worth it. I learned some good hints, and I had fun, but again…. for the money it was not worth it, in my opinion.
    I would recommend the Pueblo MRA class instead at your level Slo1299; especially if Ricky’s is going to be at IMI. On the other hand, if he is willing to have a group rate, it may be worth it.
    So…. I did learn some, and the class covered the track day fee, but I would have not done it if I had known. If you find a group, it will make it more reasonable.
    My $.02.

D.
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

Vehicle1, thanks and I will take that as a compliment. But as long as I walk away feeling better or at least learning 1 thing, it'll be worth it. I plan on attending other classes in the future trying to step up my riding abilities to another level. Want to get an official class under my belt, gain some knowledge, and also get my MRA novice license.

With Ricky's history on two-wheels I can't go wrong, picking his brain.

He has plenty of experience to learn from. As an instructor he is good; he dealt (sp?) with my questions and had a good attitude. Have fun and be safe...

D.

(see ya soon at the track...)
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

I saw pilots thread of Ricky's school and all most every 1 I've talk to that has takin it has had nothing but good things to say about it.
    I wanna take it but not at imi unless like D said if its discounted for being taught on such a small spot.

Ricky mentioned to me that he would enjoy putting on a class at Pueblo. He'll work with anyone that would like to help get it organized. He said that depending on the size of the class he would get more instructors involved.

For what it is worth, IMI is not much of a track to practice high speed corner entry (dropping down from 4th, 5th or 6th gear while getting the braking action right==avoiding wheel hop). But, for those of you that have seen the oversized pig of a bike that I ride, I was very satisfied to be able to lean it so far in the turns and keep it stable. I owe this, in part, to Ricky for his training and Kawasaki for making a very stable machine.

i'd be interested

I would be interested in attending.
    02 R6

I will be attending a class in June.....so I will keep everyone updated on what day, hopefully I will know in the next week or two. I believe the class will still be on a Thursday.

Where is this class being held - IMI or Pueblo? I'd be interested in it if it's at Pueblo!

Sorry this one will be at IMI. I have spoken with ROrlando a couple weeks back and he did mention that there will be future classes once a month at Pueblo. He mentioned for obvious cost reasons, a group of 10 would be better and if we got a group of up to 20, he would bring a few other qualified instructors with him. If your interested in the Publo classes, you may want to contact him with your questions.

Jay,
    I would be interested. I'm selling the GSXR 1000 on Craigslist in favor of a dedicated track bike. If I can get the bike swap done in time I would do the Ricky Orlando course with you in June.

-Doug
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

All right so anyone have any dates in particular they are looking for in June? Throw some dates up and let's get this going. For me, anytime in June will work.

August 20th
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

June is WIDE open for me.
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

im in jay
    Knee2Ground Racing

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I'd attend the class as well. I wonder if doing it later in June would be better to give the new surface time to dry up a bit and let the karters beat on it for a couple of weeks?

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Alright, how about June 29th Tuesday? If you need to request it off from work, don't do it until it can be confirmed.

Alright so for now, we have:
    Adam (raven r6)
    Firefghtr
    dirkterrell
    all-labout-me (doug)
    Dillinger09 (possible)
    tommygun (possible)
    konich d (possibly)

I will update the first post
    Last edited by Slo; Tue May 15th, 2007 at 05:14 PM.

Ok so I just got off the phone with Ricky Orlando and with upcoming races, the date I thought would be good originally will not work.

The date that he has open right now is June 26th which falls on a Tuesday, that will work for me. Please let me know if you can and will make this for sure before end of week Friday May 18th so I can arrange this with Ricky.

We can only have a group of 5 so PM me with a sure thing.... Adam is already confirmed with myself, we need 3 more. First 3 will be on that date, any others, and I can arrange another date, maybe that following Thursday June 28th.
    Last edited by Slo; Tue May 15th, 2007 at 05:18 PM.