Thread: Track Day potential at the State Patrol track in Golden

Track Day potential at the State Patrol track in Golden

This idea came a too late to make it for presentation at the motorcycle safety event.

What does everyone think about the possibility of having a "Motorcycle Safety Day, or two, held at the CSP test track in Golden. This could be something in conjunction with the efforts being presented by CDOT, etc.

The parking area, and surrounding field could also be used for vendor presentations.

Your thoughts?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Track Day potential at the State Patrol track in Golden

A very timely post on your part Pilot. We had a discussion with a gentleman at the NTSB who gave us a contact at the state patrol to try to make this kind of thing happen.

If you have other contacts or ideas I'd sure be interested in hearing about them.

Scott

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

This actually came up briefly today in a side conversation.

I'm about to be in contact with CSP to help get us involved with them and vice versa, I will see what the guy there thinks and let you know.

Glad to see you guys putting so much thought into this! It means all this work will be for something good.

EDIT: Scott beat me to it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Jenny has a contact there as well.
    See, look, I know I'm homophobic, but not about gay guys. They don't bother me at all. It's straight guys who don't know their gay... they fuck my shit right up

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Be sure to post up the date. And also try to get ALL the Troopers involved that you can on this one I'll plan on riding the roads of Colorado that day fer sure
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Be sure to post up the date. And also try to get ALL the Troopers involved that you can on this one I'll plan on riding the roads of Colorado that day fer sure

2011 GSXR 750

I'd be there, no doubt. Where is this track in Golden? I've lived there for a few months and this is the first time I've heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by albinohickey View Post
    I'd be there, no doubt. Where is this track in Golden? I've lived there for a few months and this is the first time I've heard of it.
    It is on the south face of North Table Mountain.

AKA "Devaclis"

Any pre-reqs. for this? Would it be limited in size or open to all?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Dave is supposed to be doing a WRX day there sometime soon..... he may have more info??
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

I've been up on the track unofficially and I'm scheduled for my first official visit with the WRX crew in June. The track isn't necessarily the best place for a bike. The track is designed for real world road conditions to train cops how to drive. The main things I can think of are the C shaped turn and the left hand sweep in the upper right corner (counter clockwise traffic pattern) that are completely strewn with gravel and sand and dirt. Also the straight on the left side of the track has a bump, not really an elevation change more like a 5 foot high 10 foot deep speed hump, placed far enough down that you can hit triple digits in a car by that point and catch air. The main danger in the car is that while you're in the air you need to be breaking for the left hand turn at the bottom of the track. Messing this up sends you into the rock infested weeds south of the track.

The WRX day coming up involves a tech inspection the day before at a local Suby dealership and then on race day the field will be split into groups based on speed/noob level. DOT helmet and passing tech are the only requirements.

Here's an overhead of the track:http://tinyurl.com/2h7juy
    Last edited by will-t; Wed Apr 25th, 2007 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Any pre-reqs. for this? Would it be limited in size or open to all?
    You are getting way ahead of things here.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

So you folks don't spin your wheels too much. I suggest reading this thread on the rmsolo forum to understand the situation at the track. For those who feel it's best to be vague about the contact at the track, it's no longer a secret. Trooper Harris is a good guy and this post could limit his distractions.

CSP Track
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

OK. Basics: 1K rental fee and 1 million in insurance. That might be doable. New Math: 10 riders 100 each. Not sure about how to go on the insurance issue. Any agents or those with experience on this board with an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    So you folks don't spin your wheels too much. I suggest reading this thread on the rmsolo forum to understand the situation at the track. For those who feel it's best to be vague about the contact at the track, it's no longer a secret. Trooper Harris is a good guy and this post could limit his distractions.

CSP Track
    Trooper Harris isn't my contact there, but I'm sure he's a good guy all the same. I'm not trying to be all secretive, I just don't want to post someone's name without their approval of that.

than sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    OK. Basics: 1K rental fee and 1 million in insurance. That might be doable. New Math: 10 riders 100 each. Not sure about how to go on the insurance issue. Any agents or those with experience on this board with an answer?
    I believe we use a company called K&K for our R2SL insurance; they cover most tracks and events around the country. I'm guessing at least $800-1K for a policy rider on the track day, but I can't say for sure. Might be more.

than sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I believe we use a company called K&K for our R2SL insurance; they cover most tracks and events around the country. I'm guessing at least $800-1K for a policy rider on the track day, but I can't say for sure. Might be more.
    Applying those numbers that would be 200 ea. for 10, 100 for 20, 50 for 40--say an a.m. session and a p.m. session of 20 riders each. Plan it well enough in advance and there shouldn't be much of a problem getting 20 to pony up the dough.

What is the average number of riders that tend to show up for a track day in Pueblo? Considering that Golden is only a hop, skip and a jump away the chance to get several to show would be pretty good.

Perhaps a dealer/repair shop or two would consider supporting the event?

If you could get the price to $50 I would try it. That track looks like a neckcar track, La Junta looks good compared to that layout. We used to sneak onto that track back in high school, wasn't much back then, hasn't changed much. For $75 I can ride a real road course all day, for the 1.5 hr drive it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    If you could get the price to $50 I would try it. That track looks like a neckcar track, La Junta looks good compared to that layout. We used to sneak onto that track back in high school, wasn't much back then, hasn't changed much. For $75 I can ride a real road course all day, for the 1.5 hr drive it is worth it.
    Yes the track has a lot of left turns (or right depending on course direction).

I'm only posing the idea. I don't have the time, resources, experience trying to pull off a track day by myself. I wouldn't mind helping put something together, but this is a team effort, one with financial risks.