Thread: Replacing brake lines??

Replacing brake lines??

Ok so I am going to replace my brake lines, and was wondering what the best way to do this would be. Should I just drain all the brake fluid and then replace them and add the new fluid? If I completly drain out all the fluid and replace the lines how should I go about adding the new fluid? Should I just open the bleeder valve on the left side first (and keep the right side bleeder valve closed) and starting pumping the brake lever while I keep adding fluid until it starts coming out the left side then close it and open the right side bleeder and add fluid until it starts coming out that side? If I do this do you think I will get any air bubbles in it, even if I keep toping off the resevior? Thanks in advance. The more details the better for me.
    Let's Ride!!

As for draining the fluid, i'd just drain it all out the bleeders (or as much as possible). After you tighten up the new lines, fill up the reservoir and open one bleeder (put a clear hose on it to see bubbles in the fluid), press the brake lever down (should go all the way to the grip) and close the bleeder with the handle still depressed. (so you don't suck any air in when the handle comes back) I think even a good rubber band would hold the brake handle down, a 2nd person to do that wouldn't hurt. When you are bleeding make sure to keep the reservoir topped up. Anyone jump in and correct me if i'm wrong....
    John in Boulder
    84' Kawasaki ZX750E1 Turbo (new project)
    82' Yamaha Seca Turbo
    77' Yamaha IT-400

Khalid, I'll probably be tearing apart my front brakes this weekend also, so if you want to come by we can do both bikes.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by coloxj650lj
    As for draining the fluid, i'd just drain it all out the bleeders (or as much as possible). After you tighten up the new lines, fill up the reservoir and open one bleeder (put a clear hose on it to see bubbles in the fluid), press the brake lever down (should go all the way to the grip) and close the bleeder with the handle still depressed. (so you don't suck any air in when the handle comes back) I think even a good rubber band would hold the brake handle down, a 2nd person to do that wouldn't hurt. When you are bleeding make sure to keep the reservoir topped up. Anyone jump in and correct me if i'm wrong....
    Using a vacuum pump makes this chore 10 tmes easier.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

vacuum bleeding works too, i always end up breaking the pumps...
    John in Boulder
    82' Yamaha Seca Turbo
    77' Yamaha IT-400

Quote Originally Posted by Dysco
    Quote Originally Posted by coloxj650lj
    Using a vacuum pump makes this chore 10 tmes easier.
    actually, it's closer to being about 14.6 times easier
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Could be the clutch on my car, where you have to bleed it UP from the bottom, and if you don't have a pressure bleeder, the only way to do it is run a hose from the brake to the clutch slave cylinder!
    John in Boulder
    82' Yamaha Seca Turbo
    77' Yamaha IT-400

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    Khalid, I'll probably be tearing apart my front brakes this weekend also, so if you want to come by we can do both bikes.
    Thanks Alex. I wish I could but I just got them off of Ebay yesterday, so they won't be here until next week sometime. I just hope they get here soon enough so I can put them on before PPIR.
    Let's Ride!!

I have a similiar ????? ..... How about using my speedbleeders when I replace MY lines? Would that be a problem for bleeding the lines?

Aren't Speedbleeders designed explicitly to make bleeding lines easier?
    Alex
    MRA #68
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

yeah, but I dunno if it's gonna work differently with a completely empty set of lines. Like will the pumping action of the master cylinder be able to properly actuate the ballbearing/spring inside the bleeder when the lines and cylinders are dry.

Ahh, I hear ya. Vacuum pump is going to be the easiest way.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

Hey Khalid,

I've got a MityVac you can borrow if you'd like.

Matthew

Thanks Matthew. I just pm'd you.
    Let's Ride!!

Khalid, I just bled my brakes and have a hand-held vacuum pump made specifically for that reason. You can borrow it if you like...
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."
    Sportbiker, Climber, Cyclist, Half-pipe rider, Kayaker, Marathoner, etc...LET'S DO IT, BRAH!!!