Thread: new tires

new tires

Got a 120/70/17 Dunlop slick put on the front of the bike and a Dunlop DOT 180/55/17 takeoff put on the rear. Bike is a gsxr1000 06' model. I noticed obviously that the bike sits higher now but also steers completely different from stock tires. Again, from the higher profile in the rear I would assume.

I am no racer, not even close (hope to change that someday) but my question is, should I get the suspension re-done to accomodate the higher profile? Or at my level and abilities, is it just wasting my time until I get more seat time and instruction?

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Re: new tires

I kinda figure anytime that you feel that the way it rides or sits is going to make you uncomfortable or distrustful in a panic situation, you should have someone more experienced than you give it a check.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    ....I am no racer, not even close...
    He lies, all I've ever seen of his bike is the tail light.

Several people here have a lot of insight into suspension adjustment.
    Joe (Jplracing) gave me some great input last time over a beer.
    Last edited by Sortarican; Thu Apr 26th, 2007 at 04:12 PM.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Why did you put a slick on? The profile on the front is what is changing the steering. The width of the rear will also cause some quicker turn in.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

You should get it done, but not to accomodate any particular tire, but just so that the bike's suspension is working optimally.

Get dressed in your typical riding gear, and round up a couple buddies to help you set your sag using your pre-load adjusters on the shock and forks.

After that, just play around with your compression and rebound damping setting until you get a ride that you like. It's up to your pref. if you want something tight and "track'ish", or if you wanna go for comfy, or anywhere in between.

If I remember correctly, you want to adjust your forks from the most damping possible, and click your way outward. That way you know you're adjusting them both in equal increments. Doing it opposite (from un-damped inward), won't account for any possible spec differences in adjustability, between the 2 forks.
    (i.e. 6-click from fully damped will always mean 6 clicks from fully damped on each shock. 6-clicks in, may not necessarily mean the same on each shock, if 1 has an adjustibiliity difference)
    (unlikely)

G'luck!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

The guy I bought them from advised they were going to be fine with the rear tire he sold me, just told me once heated up, the front will have better grip. The bike isn't going to be seeing any canyons or city with exception to IMI and back home until I get a truck/trailor.

It doesn't ride bad (still haven't gotten it out to IMI though), just different. I saw on other forums that the suspension should be adjusted once you goto the 180/55/17 from a 190/50/17.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

must be nice to get an 06 Gix for riding at IMI.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Barn, thanks for the advice..... unfortunately with my crazy mechanical skills......I think I may just take the bike to a shop, get it track prepped and suspension adjusted, then start from there.

Learn something properly as I get into all this as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch View Post
    must be nice to get an 06 Gix for riding at IMI.
    I am planning on adding a 3rd bike to the stable....obviously a 600 used race bike, something along those lines, take the R Orlando school, get involved with MRA and learn more...... taking a couple of other race schools later in the year as well. Hoping to take my abilities to a higher level and learn as much as possible from everyone out there.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Just remember that wheels/tires/rotors.... Stuff like that.... is "unsprung"; it doesn't rest on the suspension, so adjusting the suspension to compensate for something, doesn't add up.

Small variances in tire profiles after a swap can always make a bike steer a little different from the worn tires you took off. Your suspension though, is dialed to make sure that the bike handles the weight of you and everything else it supports, the best it can. Not jarring, and not sloppy, just... "working" I suppose.

You'll dig it, after a shop tweaks it for you!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

IRdave from here is going to be at R2SL and does a really nice job of bike set up. He's working my forks right now and I plan on spending some time with him at the event to get the bike totally dialed in. His rates are totally reasonable and he's easy to work with

www.fixmybike.com

I may have to look him up when you all get back if he is local....