Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday 4/29 Canyons and Wheelies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sunday 4/29 Canyons and Wheelies

Hi guys!

Looking to get a group together for this Sunday. As it stands now, we will most likely do the Evergreen to Squaw Pass route. From there we will go from Idaho Springs to Central City Speedway....oop....Parkway onto 119, then down Golden Gate Canyon to complete the loop.

Depending on the interest and/or ability level of the riders that join us, we'll cap off the day with a controlled wheelie/learning/instruction session at one of the more secluded training grounds. The faint of heart are welcome come and watch, while anyone else interested in learning how to wheelie safely are invited to advance their understanding of their bike. This general instruction on how to do wheelies will start with the assumption that no one is currently able to launch a controlled wheelie. We'll start at ground level, and by the end of the session expect to be able to do controlled "hoppers". Fun! Fun! Fun!

So for those of you who wish to join us for the canyons MUST have helmet and gloves. For those interested in doing a wheelie session we request that you also have leather jacket and boots covering the ankles.

Meet up at a coffee shop called Angie's Place on 25th & Sheridan (west of Sheridan on 25th). Get there by 8:30am, we'll plan on leaving at 9am. While you are there, you can grab a free coffee on us, just talk to Stacey, and mention CSC, she'll get you a cup!

Also to help balance the ride between all riders, please state your comfort level as follows:

GENERAL CANYON RIDING
    Beginner Advanced
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WHEELIE SESSION
    Beginner Advanced
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

See you there!!!!

Pixel 6 & Miss MotoGP
    Last edited by pixel 6; Fri Apr 27th, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
    The below sentence is true.
    The above sentence is false.

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Re: Sunday 4/29 Canyons and Wheelies

Are you bloody kiddding me? This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Well, I for one get kind of bored with "Meet up at Morrison Conoco, ride for 10 minutes... Stop. Wait for something to happen. Ride for another 10 minutes... Stop. Hang out for an hour while people eat their lunch. Ride for 10 minutes... Stop." etc.

Obviously by the title of the thread, I'm not looking for those who wish to take their Sunday and doddle about. I'm looking for a group who's interested in having a smooth paced ride out in the sticks... and finishing off the day learning something about their bike and control.

The Wheelies part is clearly the part that you feel is "bad idea". Maybe so. But I find that if you're in a "controlled environment", you can learn a lot in a 1 hour session. I'm not asking for people to come out and loop their bikes. I'm suggesting that for those who are already interested in doing wheelies practice in a spot where they can get advice, develop good habits, and learn something. Rather than go downtown, try to power one up with no knowledge, and end up smacking their bike into a car in cross traffic.

But alas, the post has been posted, and I'm willing to stick it thru. I've seen people nearly wreck because they inadvertently grabbed a fist full of throttle in regular riding, and didn't know what to do. (Rear brake).

Anyways, I babble.

Pixel

Quote Originally Posted by pixel 6 View Post
    Well, I for one get kind of bored with "Meet up at Morrison Conoco, ride for 10 minutes... Stop. Wait for something to happen. Ride for another 10 minutes... Stop. Hang out for an hour while people eat their lunch. Ride for 10 minutes... Stop." etc.
    I hear ya, alot of time bullshiting when it is time to ride.

When I get all ready to ride I go all day long.

What if you just want to do the wheelie part? Can you post up which gas station you plan on hitting before going to the super-secret wheelie road? I know the timing might be impossible, but I can try to join up!
    1994 F2 (sold destroyed by friend)
    2001 Yellow GSX-R 600 (SOLD)
    2004 Silver R1
    Meeting Places: http://www.badgerpile.com/motorcycle_maps.html

I might have to check this out next time
    2003 GSX-R750 Angry Marmot Motorsports #256
    Voted "Best Smelling Exhaust" May 2006

Who bloody well says bloody?

I might show, but that's early for my sleepin' day.

8 and 5
    Last edited by Bueller; Fri Apr 27th, 2007 at 06:09 PM.

Id be interested in coming up from the springs, but this weekend is a no go bike is in the shop getting ready for some riding, how bout joining us on the bishops castle ride next weekend.
    2006 Kawasaki 636

Sorry you can't make it Kenny. What are ya getting done the the Gixxer?

I'm not familiar with the route you suggested for next weekend... But I'm always game. Give me the generals of the route?

Thanks!

- Pixel -

Possibly be able to make it, when do you invision getting back into town?

And 5-6 and 2 perspectively, but I have no idea how to rate myself so those are meaningless

Would be great to see ya =)

As near as we can guess, we'd leave the coffee shop at 9am or so. So figure if we go thru the Evergreen route to Squaw, that is about half an hour there. It should take about 1 hour to do the Squaw pass with any size group. Puts at ooh say 10:30 - 11:00am. Head back down I-70 and into Central City... 11:30. Up to Golden Gate Canyon on 119, and down into Golden say another hour... 12:30.

Hit up some fuel for the bike and rider... and decide on a practice location. Get to that spot at about 1:30. (I have a very good, and seldomly used spot in mind that takes about 45 minutes to get to from the foothills.) The place is a private road, with no intersections on it, and I always get permission to practice there before I begin. The only rules I've ever been given there is no burnouts. (They don't want a nice road to get all marked up.)

So, lol, to answer your question... about 1:30pm. Bring pleanty of water!

- Pixel -

Ooh, and for you level, 5-6 is perfect. We'll determine the ability levels of the riders, and all take the slowest pace, so that no one is forced to ride beyond their ability to enjoy the ride.

I'd personally put myself at 7-8 on the canyon bit. I took some time last year to learn to get my knee down, and spent some time on the baby track learning rev matching and trail braking. Blipping the throttle under braking and whatnot. I'll be doing GP shifting in the next month or so. Having learned to lean my bike over beyond what normal riders feel is comfortable has kept me out of on coming traffic numerous times. It's good to have reserve.

On the wheelie part, i'd put myself at a 5. I can consistently clutch up standing or sit down ones, and am comfortable grabbing my brake. I am at the edge of the balance point now, where i still need to keep my revs climbing to keep the wheelie up, but the revs are climbing slowly. Till then, I keep putting in the sessions, and practice with the brake. The day when I couldn't see over my headlight when in a sitdown was great. Peeking out from the side of my bike underneath my left hand grip to see the road. =)

- Pixel -

Looks like there is a kart race on sunday so as long as I am not the only "tard" I will show. I am around a 20 on the crashin scale.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet
    http://roadrunnertg.com/

Quote Originally Posted by krod View Post
    Looks like there is a kart race on sunday so as long as I am not the only "tard" I will show. I am around a 20 on the crashin scale.
    How will ya know if your the only tard unless you show? Which one you gonna bring?

I'm home, come 'n get 'er

KRod... If it helps, I'll be there with my NO-Tard.

I just finished cleaning my license plate and armorall-ing my tires.
    Just kidding, I would never clean my license plate.

See you at 8:30ish.

Oh yeah...
    Canyon skills = 3
    Wheelie-ing = -2 (but if Sallina will come and watch, I will DEFINITELY practice)

I may try and make it. Sounds like fun. I moved here recently and need to meet more people to ride with. 5 canyon carving, 1 wheelie.

I'll be there! However, I have to split off at Idaho Springs... going to the Rockies game.

Canyons: 5-6
    Wheelis: 0

I'd like to attend the wheelies-intro session, but sippin' beers at Coors Field is callin'.

BTW... I just found out what Squaw Pass road is, I just call it "the Echo Lake run" with my riding buddies. Heads up - that road is not in the best condition. It's probably best to keep a moderate pace to ensure everyone comes out clean. I went up 2 weeks ago, and the sand was terrible, not to mention mini-rock slides, frozen/slushie water run-off streams, potholes, etc. And with the storm this past week, I'm sure it's not much better off.

A BMW took a digger on it last weekend - http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/847517
    /an/0/page/0#Post847517

And with how early we're heading out, I imagine it's not going to be in the stickiest of conditions. I'm not trying to sound preachy, it's just I've been up there a few times this season already, and it's NOT in prime shape!

Isn't Sundays more of a relax and shut up ride lets do it and luch sounds good as well...
    TIME TO RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by suave16 View Post
    Isn't Sundays more of a relax and shut up ride lets do it and luch sounds good as well...
    Depends on who you ride with.
    Probably not going to make the morning meeting, too early and wrong side of town for being early. Don't know were you guys were going to enter the canyons, might be able to meet up along the route.

Yep a little to early for me also. Looks like I will be at the morrision conoco around 9:30 or so. Look out cuz I got the fast bike all cleaned up and the battery charged.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet
    http://roadrunnertg.com/

8 Hours to go.

About to get some zzz's.

FYI my fiance will be breaking in her new MotoGP suit tomorrow, so the pace will reflect things like that. It takes a while for a new suit to feel comfortable, rather than restricting. (Like riding with a new pair of boots or shoes.) I for one will be in the full garb, but not going at any sort of pace where one would expect to get a knee down. Expect the pace to be nice and easy, rather than "spirited". But don't expect too much sight seeing lol.

We'll be at the coffee shop at about 8am, and for those who want to get there earlier, it opens at 7am. We will leave at 9am.

Last but not least, I'll check my phone before we head to the start of Squaw, so if anyone wants to head to the starting bit direct, we can do that as well.

See you soon!

- Pixel -

Hey does anyone have any extra CSC stickers and if so can you bring them to the connoco sometime
    TIME TO RIDE