Thread: D208's OK for the track?

D208's OK for the track?

The F4i that I just got has Dunlop D208's mounted on it. Will they do OK on the track for a beginner?

If they're in good shape they'll be fine for some track days.

geoff

Re: D208's OK for the track?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMit
    The F4i that I just got has Dunlop D208's mounted on it. Will they do OK on the track for a beginner?
    SCR this Thursday?? MRA School on Friday??
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R
    '02 Malaguti Yesterday 50

Quote Originally Posted by Rick T.
    SCR this Thursday?? MRA School on Friday??
    If I can get just a few more things ready (and purchased) on her, we'll be there with bells on....

If not, I'll have to bring my street bike and not be able to take part in the moch race on friday...

Are you taking the class? Or teaching?

Quote Originally Posted by mra828
    If they're in good shape they'll be fine for some track days.

geoff
    Cool - Thanks!

They have about 1000 miles on them, so I should be good to go for a little while.

Are you taking the class? Or teaching?
    Teaching?? Ummm, maybe what NOT to do...

Taking the class like you. Actually, I took the class with Spiderman and RSV4aCowboy but crashed out and the bike could not continue...

BUT... I guess this way I get to ride PPIR again!!! (Actually, my current avatar is Turn 4 @ PPIR)

See you there!
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R

Make sure you lower the air pressure!!!

My R1 suggested 36/36 cold for the D208 ZR's - that's too high for the track (they get really hot on a track compared to street riding). I ran 30 front/28 rear and they worked beautifully!

Not sure what the recommended psi is for your F4i, but adjust accordingly and you should be fine.

BTW, I crashed at PPIR last year on my R1 with D208's - it was a very cold day, and they were inflated to 34/33 - I lowsided coming out of turn 3. I'm sure if I was running 30/28, I would have been just fine.

Dam good point -

As soon as I started to read your post I remembered reading about Hoopty and his tire fiasco....

Thanks for the advice.

Question tho - when you say adjust accordingly, you came down 6psi in front and 8psi in the back, I should do the same?

Thanks again.

Hmm, not sure & not necessarily. You've got a 180 on the rear, mine was a 190. I now have a 180 on the rear and I find that for normal street riding, I prefer the rear at about 33 psi. I would probably still run 30/28, regardless of tire size. What psi does Honda recommend?

Screw what Honda recommends. Call Mark Newby, he's the local Dunlop rep. Ask him what to run for those tires, on your bike, with your skill level, on that track, for those weather conditions. He's at Rocky Mountain Race Tire.

When do I "check" for tire pressure - in the A.M. (cooler) before heading to the track... or AT the track before a session?
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R

Tire pressure will vary throughout the day as temperature varies. You want to check it before you go out for a session, but make sure you check it at ambient temperature, ie tires not in the sun, tires not on warmers, not right after you come in from practice.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Check at the track before your session, but BEFORE you put the tire warmers on.

I guess I'll have to find shade in order to do this... since the tires will be in the sun on the way to the track. Boy I'm glad I bought that EZ Up...
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R

I read someone here got a nice gauge from one of the shops that takes into account the ambient temp -

Does anyone know what gauge that is and where to pick one up?

I'm not sure what ambient temp has to do with taking tire pressure. There isn't a correction factor for temperature, you couldn't account for that anyway without knowing the temps of the tirewall and inner temp (and I would never trust that correction even if it did). Air expands with heat, hence why you start with low pressure (it'll increase as you heat up the tire), and why you never check it when the tire's hot.

A "self correcting" gauge is either bogus, or bad news. "Just the facts, m'am!"

On another note - Mark Newby (the Dunlop guy) has a master guage that you can calibrate your gauge off of (at the races anyway) for free. I found out my guage was reading 1 lb low.

I agree with Ralph - check with Newby on what tire pressure to run the D208's. Mmake sure he knows you're talking about ZR's (street tires) and not race tires.

Will the MIchelin Rep be out there? Or is that Mark S.? I have Pilot H2 Race on the RS...
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R

Cool - can't remember what post I saw that on....

I'll just bring my guerilla gauge that I use in my jeep and should be fine -

Thanks!

Will the MIchelin Rep be out there? Or is that Mark S.? I have Pilot H2 Race on the RS...
    Mark S. is the Michelin Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    Mark S. is the Michelin Man.
    I knew THAT!!
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R

Or you could take the pressures the instant you pull back into the pits- giving you the hot pressure, which is actually what you're looking for. Example; Pirelli DOT's are supposed to be 35 psi hot. So how fast you ride would dictate where you set your pressures... The faster you go, the hotter the tire gets, the higher the pressure.
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com