Thread: camera mount test on my bike...

camera mount test on my bike...

heres a quick camera mount i built today, its too low as is, this is the second video, the first i scraped the mount bc i leaned too low, in the apex of the s turns. please bear with me i was using my nikkon coolpix digital camera when i took this to see if it would work, i moved it now its under and to the right of my headlight.. i just wanted to see if it was feesable to do... thanks for checking it out, 4:16 min long, i dont know if its my video card or the camera but it doesnt look as good as it did viewing it on the camera. your input is appreciated. i like this view bc of the rim in the shot, but i would have to slow wayyy down for right turns and thats no fun...

Brat

Re: camera mount test on my bike...

its better than what i got at the moment...... but imo its got too much vibration.... Where did you mount it and what did you build it out of? i just picked up one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0759771&rd=1,1 hopefully it will arrive by saturday, and im shopping for a camera as well, less than $200... i think it may be a refurb sony handicam TRV280....

06 DR650SE

thats better than what i have, i went and got some alluminum U bar, and some screws, it was mounted across the bottom of the front fairings. it hit when i turned right hard. now its under my headlight, and i have yet to get some video of it. the vibration i thought would be a problem...
    Brat

well, it gets the job done..... vibration is definately annoying, but feedback to work with, im sure.... any way to dampen it or add extra stabilization?

06 DR650SE

im not sure without adding more vibration. i shortened, the mount and moved it, so i will see what i get tommarrow. this was just a test for some twisty vids. not sure if it ll work i am gonna try it on 115 at higher speeds.

brian428 has been doing some good work with his camera mounts. Perhaps he will chime in when he signs on. Vibration is an issue. Tank mounts are made that screw into your gas cap area. Some guys strap the cam down to the tank bag. You must have a clear windscreen for that to work. If you can feel a vibration on parts of the bike when you rev the motor, the cam will feel it too. Helmet mount bullet cams are the best overall. They are really coming down in price. Suction cup mounts, backed up by bungee, are good to mount to a tank. always go for a three point mount at minimum. Wide angle gives you the best perception of true speed. Telephoto slows things down. Modifying a removable tripod head off a camera and mounting it to one of the mirror points works well but you won't see any of your bike for that point of view approach. Mounting on the right side of the bike and you will be set up to shoot cars/bikes as YOU pass them. Mounting on the left will give more of a perspective from oncoming cars, etc. and good shots of your riding buddies passing you. Some modify the sliders to hold a camera. If you slide you loose the camera....

g00d luck

This is the camera mount I just got...hope it does the trick http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0367794&rd=1,1
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Thumbs up Re: camera mount test on my bike...

basil that mount looks nice, i think i'll try to make one myself like that, this ones real uhh budget. $20.
    pilot yeah i would like a lipstick camera on my helmet, that would get great angles imo. as i mentioned its moved after i apexed really low and scrapped the mount on the cement. its under the headlight on the right, so as you mentioned itll get the cars and such as i pass them and my next test i will be doing some passing, i am hoping to hit hwy115, and do a bit of a longer test shoot. this will show if my rig will work, shoot some at speed shots. i should have it up tomarrow night or wed afternoon. thanks for the suggestions and comments.
    Brat

Ah, the fun of video shoot and edit. I liked watching that vid. Thanks.

eh, im gonna go up 24 if i get off early enough, that should look much better. i hope otherwise back to the drawing board. todays video will be much longer a few minutes up and down 24.
    Brat

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    eh, im gonna go up 24 if i get off early enough, that should look much better. i hope otherwise back to the drawing board. todays video will be much longer a few minutes up and down 24.
    Brat
    if your going up 24, you might as well hit deckers/hp hill...... what time you going? i get off at 5..... hint hint.... lol

06 DR650SE

motorcycling and engineering your own things....you get nothing but props from me.....

That video looks like it is down in Fountian. Where are you located Brat?

he is in widefeild area...... by the way, did you ever update this? PS got my camera today, mo-unt should be here today as well, i gotta go buy some tapes...

06 DR650SE

Talking Re: camera mount test on my bike...

new pics and video. hope ya digem, im still having dampening issues. yeah i live in widefield up from were the plane crashed in the 90's. this s turn i love, taking at a safe slow speed...

and the vid, i only got up to 80 but it was because of a state patrol watching what i was doing..

The Version 2 had good angles to see, but when the pixelation and vibrations are worked out, I think that you'll have a good vid taking mahine!!

thanks still working on it when the weather allows, my garage is full of shit, but still working out the bugs, vibration is next i think one more support will fix that a bit.

Looks like you need a fork seal

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Looks like you need a fork seal

06 DR650SE

i need a fork seal and fork oil. actually

Awsome videos! I like the 2nd one better. Which road is that? Keep em coming.
    Faster Motosports would love to handle that leaking fork seal.
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

well we would have pics of me chasing a hayabusa down if it werent for that damn cop...

Hwy 24?
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."