Thread: Hello, new here, question about IMI

Hello, new here, question about IMI

A long time ago (late 70s), in a galaxy far, far away (Boulder), I was a pretty competent sport rider on my Suzuki GS750. I sold it back in the 80s.

Fast forward to 97, and I buy a KTM and have been riding, somewhat incompetently, since then.

And now I'm about to buy a street bike - YZF600R specifically - for a little recreational riding, some light solo touring, and perhaps a little track time.

So...I guess this isn't madness since some of you are older than me. Glad to hear that.

Any of you FOGs do a little track time at IMI or maybe the Pueblo track? How did you like it. I raced at PMI a few times.

Thanks.
    Last edited by codan; Wed May 2nd, 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Hello, new here, question about IMI

Quote Originally Posted by codan View Post
    Any of you FUGs do a little track time at IMI or maybe the Pueblo track? How did you like it. I raced at PMI a few times.
    Welcome. Several of us CSCers will be out at IMI this Saturday. See the thread in the Track Days section. It's a small track but fun to ride. The CSC has a track day at Pueblo scheduled for July 29. Really looking forward to that.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I've looked at the aerial of the IMI track - top speed maybe 60?, mostly around 30-40?

When you run, it everything out there (karts & bikes?) or just bikes? Do supermoto bikes and regular run at the same time? I think seeing the SM guys go sideways would be pretty strange the first time.

Does IMI require some sort of training, gear, ...? Or just show up with a good bike and helmet?

Dumb questions maybe, but track days didn't exist the last time I went fast.

Thanks.

you could get a little over 100 on the straight but you'll have to break hard to get into the turn. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got a slipper clutch. It's extremely hard to match the rpms and hit the break. I usually ride that straight at about 80.

There aren't any go carts on the track when we're on there however, at times we have to ride in increments of 20min so the go carts can have their fun.

motards do ride with us from time to time. It is a trip riding with them because their lines are so much different then ours...hence don't follow them into a turn lol.

Only gear you need is helmet and a bike but it isn't a bad idea to have much more then that! I went down last week and would have had a new asshole ripped open had it not been for the leathers.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

IMI is really relaxed, helmet is basically the only requirement, but not the recommendation. The karts usually run their own sessions, but private karts are out with bikes sometimes, all bikes run together, not all the 'tards slide (it's hard on tires ).

Welcome to the board, but this should probably be in "Track Days" forum even though you are older than most of us

Yea, I figured leathers were coming soon. I went down at LaJunta at 65 and had no damage due to leathers, so I'm a believer.

You can look at the pictures in the picture section of IMI 4-28 and see what most of the guys wear.