Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MRA rules for race bodies question

Re: MRA rules for race bodies question

Quote Originally Posted by CAMit
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick T.
    I will be trailering my RS 250 and Marilou's R6 to PPIR... Wish I could fit another bike - yours would be on there.
    No, thats cool - I didn't mean it like that, but thanks. What kind of trailer do you use?
    Something very similar to the one you can get at Harbor Frieght. I bought mine from http://www.scandipacific.com/. Been back and forth to California with it - no problems.
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R
    '02 Malaguti Yesterday 50

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    I want to race the moch race at the end of the class, but will not be racing anything that weekend.
    You do not need race bodywork (or a catch pan) for the race school (which includes the mock race). The only thing you need for the mock race is a steering damper.
    Sounds good - Thanks!

(in the search mode for a damper.....)

Quote Originally Posted by surfinspacegirl

FYI, if you can safety wire a turkey basting pan into your lowers so they will hold 3 quarts of liquid, you'll be OK....
    Dont mess with me.....are you serious???? I can safety wire like a mad man, I was an F-15 crew cheif in the Air Force for 4 years. I used to have saftey wire nightmares.......
    See, I thought this would qualify as "special circumstances"

If you still need a steering damper (non Scott's) I have a dodgy spare you can borrow. It's not pretty, but it does the job. You may need to put a rivet into the frame to mount it. I alkso have some fork tube clamps that may fit your forks....
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-
    SV650S/SV650 Superbike/R6/1150GS/Tuono R

Quote Originally Posted by surfinspacegirl
    See, I thought this would qualify as "special circumstances"

If you still need a steering damper (non Scott's) I have a dodgy spare you can borrow. It's not pretty, but it does the job. You may need to put a rivet into the frame to mount it. I alkso have some fork tube clamps that may fit your forks....
    Thanks for the heads up on that!!!

I will keep your offer in mind, thank you. I'll let you know tomorrow eitherway. Thanks again...

As Spiderman said- we strongly recommend that everyone racing use dedicated race bodywork that has lowers designed for fluid containment in the case of a "catastrophic" motor failure. However, there are certain instances which obtaining such bodywork is difficult- namely for certain "naked" bikes, some older machines, as well as certain dirt-track/motard bikes. When we run across those circumstances, we do the best we can to make recommendations as to what might be a suitable alternative for the race weekend, for example in your case, a new racer that is looking to start but doesn't have the proper bodywork in time, and make certain "allowances" for these individuals. This does not mean that a turkey/roasting pan with a stash of diapers in the stock lowers of a streetbike will be acceptable week in and week out, however, it will be allowed on a case-by-case basis in order to allow someone to race the first time out.

In your case, as Bart has said (via Spiderman), a turkey pan safety wired to the bottom of your motor perhaps with some diapers taped to the lower (don't laugh, it's been done before) should get you through the weekend if you choose to race. You will need to have a steering damper to participate in the mock race and/or the race weekend, and it is adviseable to remove your mirrors, tape over your head and break lights AS WELL AS unplugging them. This will make removing the tape afterwards easier, as the heat from the lamps will not melt the glue on the tape. Simplest way would probably be to either unplug the connectors from the back of the lamps, or pull the appropriate fuses.

As part of the race school you will have the opportunity to ask Bart questions as to what you need to do to your bike to prepare it for the track- specifically what to safety wire & remove. I would highly recommend taking advantage of this, as it saves you a lot of work and grief. Anyways, the most important thing is to have fun in a safe environment, and our job in tech is to make sure that that is true for everyone racing during that weekend.

Great explination, thank you. And I will NOT take advantage of the situation.

Thanks again,
    Aaron

NP, hope to see you out there....