Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempt to ride the YZ250F...take 2

Owned by the pee-wee track Marauder's Avatar

Attempt to ride the YZ250F...take 2

Ok...so I bought this Yamaha YZ250F last August and took it to Watkins 5 days later. 6th lap, dug in too deep, crashed and broke my collar bone. Thinking MX is not for me. So, I have been talking to people about trail riding. My muffler doesn't count as a spark arrestor. Anyone know how to go about getting one? Is it a part or do I need a new pipe? Most importantly, do you think I should get rid of the YZ and look at a WR or something I can take on the road if my MX days (or day) are over?
    2003 CBR 954RR
    2002 YZ250F

Marauder noun
    Etymology: French ma-raud-er
    1) one who roams about and raids in search of plunder
    2) one who seldomly goes to events, seldomly ever posts, but still thinks he is an important part of the CSC

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

Re: Attempt to ride the YZ250F...take 2

if you want to be cheap you can just saftey wire a wire mesh screen over your muffler, that's what i'd do, maybe trail riding isn't for you either? I think w/ a 4 stroke you'll enjoy the trails though.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Damn, that sucks dude! Unfortunately crashes happen and I guess it just depends on what floats your boat...I'd say if you plan to spend 80-90% of your time trail riding, get the WR or similar different brand.

As for the sparky, pipes can be expensive...upward of 300 or so depending on what your really wanting, just make sure it states that it is USFS approved. Many of the pipes out there have removable screens so if you do want to hit up the track on the YZF, you can pop out the insert.

Hope that helps a little...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    Ok...so I bought this Yamaha YZ250F last August and took it to Watkins 5 days later. 6th lap, dug in too deep, crashed and broke my collar bone. Thinking MX is not for me. So, I have been talking to people about trail riding. My muffler doesn't count as a spark arrestor. Anyone know how to go about getting one? Is it a part or do I need a new pipe? Most importantly, do you think I should get rid of the YZ and look at a WR or something I can take on the road if my MX days (or day) are over?
    CHEERS

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek View Post
    if you want to be cheap you can just saftey wire a wire mesh screen over your muffler, that's what i'd do, maybe trail riding isn't for you either? I think w/ a 4 stroke you'll enjoy the trails though.
    I disagree about him saying trail riding isn't for you... I'm not a fan of the track and kick ass on the trails, you can too!! Come out with us and see what you think.

I do agree with him saying to test out a 4 stroke. I love mine and hated the 2 stroke I took out there one weekend.
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

I think you should read my post again ashli...i didn't say trail riding wasn't for him, i said it might not be for him. And from the looks of it, he has a 4-stroke Once you get more accustomed to riding the 250, you'll probaby want a 450f though.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Is there not a "kit" that can be inserted in the existing pipe? I really don't feel like getting a new pipe for it and I can't seem to find any cheap WR's.
    2003 CBR 954RR
    2002 YZ250F

Marauder noun
    2) one who seldomly goes to events, seldomly ever posts, but still thinks he is an important part of the CSC

There are quieter inserts for the stock pipe, you just gotta look for them on Thumer Talk.
    I did find this good info that you may need...http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:929...50F/index.html
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

John
    KTM Duke 690

Here is a site with all of the info on your bike you will ever need.
    http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm
    Just go down to the not free upgrades and click on the spark arrestor link.
    Keep riding dirt, don't give up!
    The YZ can be trail ridden. Have you riden up at VDR (Berthoud) yet?
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Buddau View Post
    Here is a site with all of the info on your bike you will ever need.
    http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm
    Just go down to the not free upgrades and click on the spark arrestor link.
    Keep riding dirt, don't give up!
    The YZ can be trail ridden. Have you riden up at VDR (Berthoud) yet?
    Great info...thanks. You and Travis might be on to something. I'll have to take a look at it but if a trip to Home Depot and a little inginuity will save $100, I'm all for it.

And no, I have only ridden dirt once; the track at Watkins. I will be looking forward to my first trail ride.
    2003 CBR 954RR
    2002 YZ250F

Marauder noun

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

lol, Jer and tracks just don't work so well together...I bet you'll love trail riding Jer, probably a lil more up your alley.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch View Post
    lol, Jer and tracks just don't work so well together...I bet you'll love trail riding Jer, probably a lil more up your alley.
    Yeah...no shit:

1st time + 929RR + SCR = dead 929RR
    1st time + 250F + Watkins = broken clavicle

At this point, just looking at a track might give me pink eye!

I am curious about this homemade spark arrestor. Rumor has it on TT that a homemade job will pass a "stick test".
    2003 CBR 954RR
    2002 YZ250F

Marauder noun

if your bike is a 4 stroke, it SHOULD already have a spark arrester on it?? I could be wrong, but that was my thinking? Also, you may love the trails. You should DEFINITELY go out there with us some time....muy muy muy fun
    ~MR. PISSY PANTS~
    R . I . P. Gene, you will be missed!

01 Dakota (Yama-hauler)
    00 WR-400 (da da dirty dirty)
    06 GSXR 6 (street toy)
    06 KLX 110 (play toy)
    02 Kawi Quad (play toy #2) maybe for sale...anyone interested??

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

<--and yes i think this is a Texas flag Well, at least i THOUGHT it was, until peanut took it away...dam you peanut, DAMMMMM YOUUUU!!!!!

YZ250F does not have a sparky. For $124 you can purchase a promoto billet unit. I have the old version and the new on my 04 and 06. They are easy to install and you can purchase the 94 db silencer for them (04 has one 06 does not) but I am not getting the silencer for the 06 because it is not that loud to my ears and with any silencer you lose some horsepower. I like the blue anodized version, they are the slickest units on the market IMHO.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/promoto/sa_yam.htm

I ride the YZ on the trails all the time. Best if you drop a tooth on the front sprocket for the slow stuff. The trick setup is a flywheel weight to smooth out the power and make it much more stall resistant
    Last edited by R1chie; Mon May 14th, 2007 at 01:36 PM.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek View Post
    I think you should read my post again ashli...i didn't say trail riding wasn't for him, i said it might not be for him. And from the looks of it, he has a 4-stroke Once you get more accustomed to riding the 250, you'll probaby want a 450f though.

Riiiiiiiiiiight. I thought the 250F was more of a track/racing bike though, and the 250X is the trail bike???? Either way I want to ride it because I'm looking to pick up the CRF250X for next year.

Anyway, Marauder were headed to Rampart the second or third weekend in June for the weekend. Feel free to come with, I"m sure we could take the truck so we can load one bike in the back or we can just figure something else out as far as transportation goes. We'll be camping and I'm sure it will be a good time.
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Quote Originally Posted by R1chie View Post
    YZ250F does not have a sparky. For $124 you can purchase a promoto billet unit. I have the old version and the new on my 04 and 06. They are easy to install and you can purchase the 94 db silencer for them (04 has one 06 does not) but I am not getting the silencer for the 06 because it is not that loud to my ears and with any silencer you lose some horsepower. I like the blue anodized version, they are the slickest units on the market IMHO.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/promoto/sa_yam.htm

I ride the YZ on the trails all the time. Best if you drop a tooth on the front sprocket for the slow stuff. The trick setup is a flywheel weight to smooth out the power and make it much more stall resistant
    You need to check my bike out
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

...At this point, just looking at a track might give me pink eye!
    That's some funny shit.
    I'm starting to feel the same way about parking lots.

+1 for keep it and trail ride.
    Once you get used to it a guy your size should be able to flick that sucker around like a BMX bike.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by AshliRider44 View Post
    Anyway, Marauder were headed to Rampart the second or third weekend in June for the weekend. Feel free to come with, I"m sure we could take the truck so we can load one bike in the back or we can just figure something else out as far as transportation goes. We'll be camping and I'm sure it will be a good time.
    Well, now...that will give me an excuse to grab the camper from pops for the weekend. Thank you for the offer. I guess I better get my registration form filled out ASAP. When do the rangers test to see if you have a spark arrestor?

Travis, I might need some pointers from you once I get to the point of working on it.
    2003 CBR 954RR
    2002 YZ250F

Marauder noun

Well, now...that will give me an excuse to grab the camper from pops for the weekend. Thank you for the offer. I guess I better get my registration form filled out ASAP. When do the rangers test to see if you have a spark arrestor?

Travis, I might need some pointers from you once I get to the point of working on it.
    We rode almost every weekend last summer *(whenever it wasn't a race weekend that is) and I was not checked once! That doesn't mean they wont though I dont remember anyone in our groups getting checked for them either.
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

An MX bike will work fine for trail riding but is not the best suited bike for the job. Kick start, no lighting, no kick stand, plating is easy but actually being legal on the street is not. WR's are easier to ride on the trails and the suspension is more trail friendly. The home made spark arrestor will probably be fine, but if the ranger doesn't buy it, the fine will be almost what the Pro Billet cap costs. And you will be checked at Poker runs for sure.
    Last edited by Bueller; Mon May 14th, 2007 at 09:50 PM.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Jer: co-worker of mine just hit up Performance and bought a new muffler for his YZ450 with the switchable packing and it was $250ish OTD...And if I talked to him, I am sure he would help ya out with getting all the stuff on your bike to make it trail legal.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

You could probably ride right past me with smoke barrelin' out the tailpipe (bikes tailpipe), a shotgun slung over your shoulder, and your middle finger frozen in eff you and I would stop Hoopty for not buckling his boot...
    J/K...The fines are pretty darn steep for not having a sparkey in a national forest though and many Ranger's wouldn't care if you had your screen door nailed to the back of your bike...I'd spend the bucks and play it safe...If ya wanna play, you gotta pay....just my $.02 worth

Quote Originally Posted by AshliRider44 View Post
    We rode almost every weekend last summer *(whenever it wasn't a race weekend that is) and I was not checked once! That doesn't mean they wont though I dont remember anyone in our groups getting checked for them either.
    CHEERS

I agree with Bueller, an MX bike is not the best for trails BUT, many who race do not buy a wr, but a Yz for competition and make changes. The reason is an mx bike is lighter and more performance oriented.

The promoto billet you can remove the screen and silencer part with 3 bolts.

If you were buying a new bike and stated you were only trail riding it, I would say get a WR but if you already have the YZ the money you lose (assuming you lose money to sell it to get a different bike) could easily make the YZ in trail shape. I have never had an electric start and although nice, not nessisary. Regearing, flywheel weight, will make it run well. If you have to have electric start and headlight or want to street legalize it, the wr (or that style bike) is the way to go.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

Per Vickery, it'll cost about $800-900 to street legalize the YZ. That includes the street legal kit, DOT tires and a...damn...can't remember what the thing is called. It replaces part of the engine to generate power for the lights. Slipped my mind...

Anyway...the way I see it, if I can't find a WR for less than $3000 (and be able to get around $2000 for my YZ), I guess I should just spend the money to convert it.
    2003 CBR 954RR
    2002 YZ250F

Marauder noun