Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T's Newb Question of the Week

Gold Member

Re: T's Newb Question of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
    Are you saying to release the rear brake if you lock it up (highside comin soon)? Or are you saying to back off on the throttle? Just curious cuz it may not be too obvious to a new rider.
    not sure i follow you...

Lots of saddle time, take classes as much as you can, practice a bunch, and learn to ride in as much different terrain as you can.

'06 SV650S

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Okay, it's hump day. Bump Day! So WHO'S HUMPIN AND WHO'S NOT! j/k (Course we all know Wicky is...that slut)

Okay so the week is half over. Who else hasn't posted their wisdom here. This is THE place to scream about your skilz and to teach me (and other viewers) your knowledge.

Please participate. It helps shape us all right?

T
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Have you, or are you scheduled to take a rider training course?

Saw this on the way back on C470 at 285:

Traffic was going slow in both lanes but not heavy. Turns out there was a bike with a female rider traveling at 55 in the passing (left) lane. She would not move over to the right lane. The wind was a bit pushy on the bikes at that time. About 200 yards in front of her was her male companion and he kept looking back at her (frustrated). She looked scared as she rode with too many RPMs in the tuck position, again at 55ish MPH. Traffic was riding her butt and passing her on the right. We finally passed her and as we passed the male companion, doing say 75ish. She just kept pace in the right lane and he shot way ahead of his friend. I looked back in my mirror and thought to myself, "Gee, she's scared to death and he's acting the dick."

Confidence in road skills goes a long way to helping being relaxed. A relaxed, attentive rider is a safer rider. A good teacher will help build that in a rider.
    I just read a book from a racer that speaks of these same skills. Be confident, be relaxed on your bars. Crazy enough, that one lesson goes a veeeerrrryyyy long way. Good advice from my practice session.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonneLass View Post
    Okay so the week is half over. Who else hasn't posted their wisdom here. This is THE place to scream about your skilz and to teach me (and other viewers) your knowledge.

Please participate. It helps shape us all right?

T
    You don't want to learn from me

I think this is a great way to share experiences with each other and enlighten others to some practices that may expedite our growth curve in respect to motorcycle riding. So, thanks for posting the question Terri.

I find for myself, I'm fairly aggressive in my wanting to tackle the things my more experienced friends are doing on their bikes. Including riding in inclement weather, tackling the twisties at a faster pace, and wanting to hit the track. Obviously, any of these can end badly without easing yourself into it at a smart pace...which is something I'm guilty of. I think we all are tentative when getting into something new, but each of our definitions of tentative can be quite different. For me, I feel I push myself beyond my comfort level lots of the time, but not to where I'm over my head. I feel that I'm not going to grow in anything I do if I don't push that level of comfort. The trick is riding that fine line of pushing yourself but not stepping out of bounds of ability or aptitude of being able to do something and ending up hurt.

Let's take this recent Mother's Day ride. I had no reservations whatsoever with the first part of the trip. I understood and respected the first part of the trip from Morrison to Palmer. I think it was a great idea for some of the most junior riders. I didn't mind chilling out in the back and sweeping.

The next part we took as a group was a little funner for me, yet the ride from Monument to Deckers was what I would consider fun, comfortable, and well within my ability. I didn't feel I pushed myself beyond those limits I spoke of.

Now, here's where I jumped up and tap danced back and forth over that line of comfort. I pushed myself at a pace I've not done before on the ride from Deckers to Pine Junction. There were times on this brisk pace run that I was asking myself what I was doing. I thought I was over my head during a few instances. However, I kept pace with some of the more experienced riders and surely learned a great deal. I know, at this point in time, what my abilities are. I know what my limits are and I'm proud of what I accomplished. Prior to the last leg of the trip, I would of never thought I was capable of that pace.

I think a large part of my learning experience on the ride I described above was listening to the advice I was given from a more experienced rider and that I've passed to more junior riders...believe in your bikes abilities. This bike I ride will outperform my riding abilities everyday. That allowed me to ride quicker, lean further, and try to really be smoother in my acceleration and braking.

I made it, but I still have lots of ground to cover in terms of riding smooth, which I think is key. If I can get the smooth part down, I think it opens the door for safer.

In regards to city traffic or interstate traffic, I feel comfortable. But, I remember my first time going from I-225 to I-25 through DTC to Lincoln during rush hour....certainly not a good feeling. There was fear, anxiety, apprehension, etc. Now it doesn't phase me at all.

Dive in, push yourself, learn from your experiences...but do so in steps wise to your abilities.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    Dive in, push yourself, learn from your experiences...but do so in steps within your abilities.
    fixed

Riding with slow peeps will slow your progression.

If you don't know what to ask to improve. Ask the experienced riders in person, "What should I be asking you so I can improve?"
    Seat time is the biggie...
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Lightbulb Re: T's Newb Question of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    fixed

Riding with slow peeps will slow your progression.

If you don't know what to ask to improve. Ask the experienced riders in person, "What should I be asking you so I can improve?"
    Seat time is the biggie...
    Slow riders doesn't always mean inexperienced riders.

As for the latter part +1

'06 SV650S

Slow riders could include, but not limited to being fragile, easily spooked, can lack quick reactions/thoughts, panic under anxiety, hypersensitivity, etc.

Example:

If you practice riding with Aaron Yates every weekend, you will learn quicker than riding with your Harley buddy with 30 years on two wheels.
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    Slow riders could include, but not limited to being fragile, easily spooked, can lack quick reactions/thoughts, panic under anxiety, hypersensitivity, etc.

Example:

If you practice riding with Aaron Yates every weekend, you will learn quicker than riding with your Harley buddy with 30 years on two wheels.
    Not necessarily. The guy with 30 years on two wheels has a lot of experience and wisdom to share from riding that long successfully. It'd be a mistake to ignore that just because the other guy goes faster. You're also comparing apples to kumquats, one is great on the street, one is great on the track.

I don't always ride fast (in fact I tend not to more these days) but I have plenty fast reactions, I don't panic under anxiety, and last I checked wasn't fragile or easily spooked. I've also seen guys that thought they were fast, but would crack under pressure or have major issues with any extra thought requirements.

Speed is not the supreme identifier of a rider's skill, especially on the street. Some of the best riders I've ever seen could do circles around you on any road but also know when to chill out and slow down.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Exactly! (I am not designating anyone...just making a comment.)
    Slow is not only a measurement of speed.

S.L.O.W. = Short-bus with Limited Optimum Wisdom

If I wanted to be trained as a Krispy cream baker. I would work with the best to become a master Krispy cream chef, right?

In this case, slow refers to unintelligent. Blind corner Bob has shown to be quite social and intelligent. When Blind corner Bob passes on blind corners, the judgment might be impaired because of the huge risk. The action of passing during a blind corner makes one think how Blind corner Bob might be slow.

Real names were not used to avoid drama.

well this is an easy answer yet a complicated one. firstly the answer is ride ride ride ride. even if you have no one to ride with and no one to teach you anything.. you will still learn and as you progress you will undoubtedly push yourself even if it is simply through complacency. i am on my third bike and just had my first layover simply because i was lazy complacent and wasnt paying attention to what i was doing .....guess what... i learned another lesson... so answer ....keep riding and if you have a more specific question here is a great place to get an answer....p.s great job on this forum i think it is an excellent topic and has a lot of potential...pretty soon i may be looking for an answer,...props

Thanks to everyone for there advice. I am a pretty new rider myself, but have quite a bit of seat time already. I am really looking forward to getting out and riding with some of my experienced friends. I was able to ride with my dad when I was in Michigan a few weeks ago and that was useful. He has 30+ years riding experience and was able to learn a lot from him about riding on the highway and being safe. Now I can't wait to learn even more about negotiating the switchbacks!

IMI is a fun place to get some corner under the belt. However, on weekends it can get a bit hectic for new riders. Perhaps it is time to for some experienced riders to set up a parking lot day-- the old Target on West Colfax seems to be a decent place for training now-a-days.

Terri,
    Glad to hear that you are reading some books on riding. There are several good ones out there: Total Control, Twist one and two and Proficient Motorcycling one and two, to name a few. It is an excellent way to get you "into the Zone". Also, the MSF Basic and Experienced Rider Courses can provide some valuable training. Then after a year or two, you can take an advanced technique course-- if you so choose.

I believe you said that you picked up an SV? I had the chance to ride one recently and found it to be a very good ride. It is easy to flop it from one turn to the next. Just enough power to get you up and going without too much torque.
    Last edited by pilot; Sun Jul 1st, 2007 at 01:19 AM.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler