Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MT RUSHMORE TRIP

MT RUSHMORE TRIP

It appears that there is a lot of interest in running to Mt Rushmore this year for a weekend.
    After doing some looking, let's start with dates....how does the weekend of July 26th fit for everyone? Yes, Hanna, we will still party for your B-day!
    I myself have never been there either, so is this a one nighter (camping possible), or two? If we are doing the crash and burn in the hotel where is the recommended stop and anything specific? So let's start with the dates, and move on!!

Chris

Way to be organized there Chris ole buddy. It can be a pain to coordinate sometimes, but I appreciate you taking this one on!

Those dates work great for me, so count me in!

That's my nameday (Weird Polish custom - don't ask). Works for me. I'm in!
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-
    SV650S/SV650 Superbike/R6/1150GS/Tuono R

custer state park. Good twisties, awesome scenery.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

That works for me too. Leaving Friday afternoon or Saturday morning? Lusk, Wyoming (260 miles) is a decent size town with a good variety of services. After that it's wide open. Camping sounds good to me.

Word has it that it is 390 miles to the Mt from Aurora, I dont see why we cant leave early Sat, Haul Ass , spend lunch and the afternoon/evening there and decide what we are going to do about sleeping then come home on Sunday around late morning.

THOUGHTS PLEASE???

Chris

I'd vote for leave Friday afternoon, haul ass, spend 2 nights there and ride back leisurely Sunday. Gives us time to relax, maybe go for a bit of a ride Sat.

Just my $0.02
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-

that can work very nicely as well, as long as we are all Haulin Ass... I am in for two nights....but not on the ground.

Chris

I prefer a Friday afternoon departure also. I would rather have more time in the Black Hills and burn up the straight stuff Friday afternoon/evening. It's only 3+ hours to Lusk if we are going that way.

+ .02 more

I'll do it.....Hanna, my birthday is 7/29...when is yours ?

You know, I've found I have to haul my ass around everywhere I go

Friday also works form me after noon or 1pm-ish. Remember, it still is a 400 mile trip and that's 6 hours or so.

Going to Sturgis numerous times-I'd like to recommend we head towards Cabellas in Sidney Nebraska and then motor on up hwy 385 Northbound through Custer, find a place to camp and then in the early AM we go sight seeing.

As far as going fast....many years ago I was on my XX and Diedrich was on his ZX11 and we were @ almost full throttle going opposite directions on 385,(long story)- we passed each other @ over 300 mph

However...Lusk is an ok kind of town and should we decide to motor North on 1-25 for a spell- in Chugwater WY. there is a little maltshop that is owned by the world's 1st professional female dragracer and she just so happens to make the best milkshake you'll ever taste!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kip
    Mine's 7/7. Kinda tough to get people to party; usually everyone's partied out from 4th July I'll buy you a birthday if you buy me one

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    there is a little maltshop that is owned by the world's 1st professional female dragracer and she just so happens to make the best milkshake you'll ever taste!!
    Count me IN!

-

Quote Originally Posted by surfinspacegirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip
    Mine's 7/7. Kinda tough to get people to party; usually everyone's partied out from 4th July I'll buy you a birthday if you buy me one looking forward to it
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    there is a little maltshop that is owned by the world's 1st professional female dragracer and she just so happens to make the best milkshake you'll ever taste!!
    Count me IN!

Well if everyone is buying drinks, I'll take two just for my good looks!!

<yeah,right>

Chris

The dates are gelled for this run, Friday through that Sunday, Harry has an awesome idea for the route, the question is coming down to camping or motelling??? Did I spell that right?
    I can be game for camping one night, but prefer a bar and a bed.....

Chris

good plan, camp one night, sauce and stumble the next...
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

uhhh, I guess that is what I meant???

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coston
    Well if everyone is buying drinks, I'll take two just for my good looks!!

<yeah,right>

Chris
    Are you saying, We need two drinks in us before you sart to look good

[Are you saying, We need two drinks in us before you sart to look good icon_eek.gif]

I it would probably take a couple of drinks & shots for that to start happening Kip!

After some thought I dont see the purpose of people dragging camping for one night, and some of the people I have talked too dont even have camping gear, yes I know you can rent. But it is a deciding factor for people who want to go, but not camp. For this trip I am along the lines of traveling light and would rather spend the time sightseeing, well rested and moving fast.
    For the campers, a camping should be planned on another trip. Kip and I have been tossing around a run of extreme that camping would be awesome. An Albuquerque to Grand Canyon to Vegas to home run.....like I said we are just spitballing that one for now.

Leaving Friday afternoon is a go. I am with Harry about stopping that night and getting up AM continuing on. Get to our destination, cruise and site see. I understand Mt Rushmore has an awesome night time display as well. So rooms in the vicinity should be considered. Then on the way back on Sunday leave AM come back through Wyoming and visit this malt shop and swap stories with an I-25 return.

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500
    01 Jeep Cherokee <It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand>

Board Newbie
    Hey Chris,

I think the Friday afternoon plan would work best. You can count me in.

This looks like it would be a blast, but you had to pick a weekend there is an MRA race. Have fun!

Good to have you onboard B!!

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500
    01 Jeep Cherokee <It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand>

Just to clarify now, when I mentioned stopping for the night and then seeing the dead presidents, I was suggesting stopping very close to Rushmore-such as Custer, so that still puts us doing the majority of the ride on Friday.

So it's still 2 nights lodging whether you camp or motel it.

I'm still likely going to camp so let me know what you're thinking as far as how far you will ride on Friday so I know where to reserve a camp site.
    Is anyone else interested in camping also? Beware the buffalo! :P

Also, assuming you bypass Lusk and take hwy 385 North, there's a pretty nice Days Inn/Super 8 or similar in Alliance NB. They have a jacuzzi in the rooms, but it's only about 1/2 way.

I will camp it also - for at least one night.

I am in the process of accumulating my gear and will have it all by then. If anyone is looking for an inexpensive (relatively) and compact sleeping bag Galyans has one - the "La Fuma 1 kilo" - it weighs 2.5 pounds with the stuff sack and is no bigger than a 3# coffee can. It's good to 37 degrees and costs $79.