Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MT RUSHMORE TRIP

Board Newbie
    I'll throw this out for chits and giggles

I grew up very near sidney, NE. Actually a little northwest. If a Friday afternoon depart is the plan...we probably could crash at my place. We live in the hills, so those of us wanting to camp could have a great view ( and even a shower in the morn). Plus, it would be free , but hey...we're not all cheap asses.

Just my two pennies
    "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

Dear God that sounds like fun, I love the black hills, ya'll gotta go see crazy horse, it's almost better than Rushmore.
    There are these hills thru custard park that are rolling and sweeping with vast fields. When I was a kid I always wanted to travel those roads on a bike... My Easy Rider fantasy. I'm envious, I really wanna go.
    But I don't think I will be here, it kinda depends. If I'm around I'm goning.
    FF

Feeder, you just became a good friend!!! Please tell us more, where is your home along the route? Family and friends wouldnt mind a bunch of Hoot'n Nanny's like us showing up?

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500
    01 Jeep Cherokee <It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand>

Actually- I'm from the mountains in this state but have friends from all over, Sturgis SD, Gillette WY, Lusk WY, Deadwood SD. Can you believe that people come FROM these towns? So we would roadtrip it up there during the rallys. The west side of the state is really cool country.
    Good idea for a trip.
    Have fun
    foxfire :P

Feeder, that works for me, assuming people don't want to get into the Black Hills by Friday. If that's the case.....does that change our departure time, since I'll assume it would only take approx. 3 hours to get to your family's place?

Gary, nice find!!! I'll be checking that bag out too. Does it fit you around the shoulders?,(I think we're about the same size)

Harry, I haven't taken it out of the stuff sack and crawled in it yet but before I bought it they spread it out on their demo table and I got on top of it to make sure it was tall enough. It seemed to be plenty wide too. I will try it out by the weekend and let you know. I was really surprised to find a bag this light and compact for such a low price. I thought I would have to spend a couple hundred dollars for a down bag but the salesman said this compacts smaller than down.

Board Newbie
    Chirs...My hometown is Gering, Ne. Just northwest of sidney on Hwy 71. It takes about 3 1/2 hours from Denver to get there. I know of a couple different backroads to take (where MPH doesn't really matter), and don't worry about the lodging (three guest bedrooms, three couches, and umpteen acres for camping sites). The rents would be delighted to have some company...even if it is rowdy motorcycle hooligans

From G-town the dead prez's are about 4 hours away (give or take) this figure is allowing for the "scenic route" in the black hills. We could get there a little quicker...or go the long way around through Rapid City.

I'm along for the ride reguardless. If peeps want to stay in Gering I'll need a head count (just so I know how much beer to get)
    If not, I'll follow the herd.

Peace

Feeder, this is mighty generous of you... I would definately like to look at this option. It sounds to be a hell of a good time being in that setting in a home environment. I think we could do the four hour ride the next morning with some great sight seeing and find lodging for the night. I intend to have rooms reserved before leaving obviously.
    If the campers would like to partake in your acreage, and boarding in the home is available I am sure there is something we can do for the kindness. As of right now I am in favor of working with this plan and going from there. Again, thanks.

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500

Hey Feeder,

As of right now, I am all for moving towards your idea of our first stop for the night. What plans do we need to make for this arrival at your residence? I am one of those that would rather plan than bang on peoples doors...
    From there, lets look forward to the next night's stop.....close to the scenery would be great. ideas? Keeping in mind that we are staying in Feeder's hood the first night!

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500

Count me in @ Feeders-

Chris, that would be 7/25/03 @ Feeder's right?

Gary,
    you got a nice deal on La Fuma. He who hesitates is lost! I went to Gaylans last Sunday and your bag had gone up to $80 bones!

Harry, I paid $79 for the bag. I think thats still a really good price. Maybe you were thinking of the temperature rating of 37 degrees?

Harry,

Yeppers, 7/25/03 at Feeder's.............provided it is a green light with him.

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500

Hey Harry,

I was wondering if we start this trip running through Feeder's neck of the woods, could we still do the return route from the North and check out the "Malt Shop" you mentioned? What would that put our return time to Denver around?

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500

Good choice!!
    Actually I think the Western route leading out of
    Lusk and picking up I-25 South would be almost as quick. The malt shop is in Chugwater, just North of Cheyenne. So the time back would depend on our time that we leave.

I've never raced out or to Sturgis before. However, while on a Sporster with it's massive 2.25 gallon tank that could run out of gas @ 75 miles if you were 2-up & on the gas once took me 9 hours, but I was moving pretty good. Fast enough to lose the elasticity on my face as my cheeks were flapping in the wind

I have averaged 6 hrs or less each way the last few years to/from Deadwood. Didn't stop to take pictures of tumbleweeds though. Always have to race storms through Wyoming in afternoon.

That's a darn fine overall average speed!! 75mph (w/ stops) or so??

You know, if you could hit and maintain 83-84mph from say San Francisco to New York City you could own a world record!!

It's not like there is anything to see for about 300 miles! Pay at the pump and haul ass!

Board Newbie

Great ride SD and on..

Hello, newbie here...

I did just this trip last summer, left June 1st went through SD and on over to Road America in Wi for races. The roads around Sturgis were great, and at that early date there were no cages and the weather was still cool. Spearfish Canyon was excellent too. Be glad to share photo's and such, just ask. As far as camping and such... campgrounds (KOA) averaged around 12 - 15 per night. Firewood always cost me more then the campsites. Motel, hotel, averaged 50 - 65 per night. I camped until I needed a night on a bed and then got a room. Met a lot more people and drank a lot of their beer while camping. Pain to lug the gear around, but made for a memorable experience.

This thread has been awhile drifting, I assume we are still onboard with continuing on???

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500

I'm still rolling!!

Absolutely - bring on the dead Prezs!
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-
    SV650S/SV650 Superbike/R6/1150GS/Tuono R

FEEDER!! Still with us?! How are we looking for these dates on this ride? Yeah, I know, I am bringing this to the top.....
    What does our roll call look like?

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500

Board Newbie
    Hey guys,

Sorry...I was MIA for a while there, but finally got things all worked out.

As to the Founding Fathers...I'm still on. I think it would be a great time. I'll have to check if the End of July looks good on the dayplanner. Something tells me I have a wedding or something to be in....Guess i should find that out.

As for staying at my place...All I need is a head count. We have plenty of room. Like I said before...just need to know how much beer to get

Peace

Good to see you are back with us Feeder!! Lets keep this trip running and keep the head count up as we go.

Chris
    U-Haul General Manager
    www.uhaul.com
    303.956.2975 v

04 Ducati ST3
    00 Mercedes Benz SL 500