Thread: New IMI rule.....

New IMI rule.....

Just found out yesterday that IMI will be enforcing an additional rule to anyone on a sportbike. You are now required to have a helmet and jacket to ride there. Not enough rules in my opinion but they seem to be heading in the right direction.

Forgot to ask regarding the super motards......

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: New IMI rule.....

Well, they've always required a helmet and I think a jacket is just plain common sense....

Your right, for the most part I have seen the CSC'ers come out prepared. But on occassion have seen a few other groups come out "not dressed for the part". Hopefully IMI will start getting a bit tighter on more new rules.

yea, i still need a suit
    Knee2Ground Racing

Quote Originally Posted by firefghtr View Post
    yea, i still need a suit
    Haha yeah, you do ride a bit hard for jeans. But at least you have everything else besides the pants. Hopefully we will keep pressuring your fiance trying to convince her to let you get them!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    Your right, for the most part I have seen the CSC'ers come out prepared. But on occassion have seen a few other groups come out "not dressed for the part". Hopefully IMI will start getting a bit tighter on more new rules.
    So I'm still a little confused- and I'm not trying to start some hot and heavy debate, I'm just trying to understand.

Why do we have to have rules/laws to protect stupid people from themselves?

In France, if you go off piste skiing (out of bounds) and you fall into a cravasse and die, well, you should have hired a guide.

If you're smart enough to go out onto a "race" track not wearing appropriate gear, well- doesn't seem like there should have to be a rule/law. Hell, ask Giovanni. He crashed chasing me one time at IMI wearing jeans. Probably the last time he didn't wear leathers on the track...

I mean, is this not part of the problem? People get so used to being protected from themselves that they fail to take any responsibility for their own actions- assuming that someone else is already making rules so they can't actually do anything stupid...

So I'm just trying to understand the mentality of people that think we need rules/laws to protect the stupid people from themselves...
    Last edited by irdave; Tue May 15th, 2007 at 08:17 PM.
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com

It's a Lemming thing, you wouldn't understand

Only because I don't want to see others go down without it, let alone friends of mine. They can make their own choices but if we can at all influence them, then so be it. If not, then your right, it is their choice, we cannot force anyone to do anything.

It's called America. No one wants to take responsibility for their own mistakes, so they sue somone else for them. Take the crack in the sidewalk. I cruise along on my rollerblades (I know, totally 80s thing) and hit a crack. Down I go, without helmet, knee or wrist guards, and I get a concussion. Can't possibly be MY fault - gotta sue someone. How about the city, or the concrete contractor, or the business that the sidewalk is in front of?

Same thing at the track. Liability waivers or not, you can still sue anyone for anything. It's enough hassle be sued, even if they don't have a case, that big companies (McDonald's hot coffee) often settle out of court (Michael Jackson). We at the CSC are smart enough to police oursleves and wear gear that protects us. But rules at the track MINIMIZE liability to the track owner. That's all.

If more people had to simply pay the price and take responsibility for their own dumbass actions, we all would have lower insurance bills.

Whew! Time for another sip of Cap'n & Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by irdave View Post
    So I'm still a little confused- and I'm not trying to start some hot and heavy debate, I'm just trying to understand.

In France, if you go off piste skiing (out of bounds) and you fall into a cravasse and die, well, you should have hired a guide.

If you're smart enough to go out onto a "race" track not wearing appropriate gear, well- doesn't seem like there should have to be a rule/law. Hell, ask Giovanni. He crashed chasing me one time at IMI wearing jeans. Probably the last time he didn't wear leathers on the track...

I mean, is this not part of the problem? People get so used to being protected from themselves that they fail to take any responsibility for their own actions- assuming that someone else is already making rules so they can't actually do anything stupid...

So I'm just trying to understand the mentality of people that think we need rules/laws to protect the stupid people from themselves...
    Dan

'00 R1

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by irdave View Post
    I agree with you but the problem is that the legal system doesn't enforce that (sensible) kind of thinking and allows people to successfully sue others for their own stupid actions. That makes people enforce their own rules to reduce the risk that they will be sued into bankruptcy. Now, if juries would start calling bs on these kinds of lawsuits, the problem would correct itself but it seems to be going more in the other direction. It's pretty sad really.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

yea, i liked the pressure you guys were putting on her, especially working the whole," youll feel better if he goes down in those angle" haha
    Knee2Ground Racing

Member Yearly Supporter TommyTheKid's Avatar

Honestly, I'd rather see less rules, and more Darwinism, but thats me

So, my thoughts are...

IMI is a smaller/slower track, and should have an easier or more laxed set of rules so that people who think they might want to TRY riding a track can try it without buying a track bike and leathers and ..... etc.

If IMI wasn't soo easy to ride on and ride off, I would still be treating it like Pueblo.. yea, sure maybe someday when I hit lotto (or find a sponsor)

.. plus my bike is too slow for Pueblo

~tommy
    ~~TommyTheKid~~
    BLUE 2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
    - my first bike - 2006-08-21
    YELLOW 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - for snowboarding season - 2006-03-18
    ... so, yea, I have some debt

Member Yearly Supporter SixnChange's Avatar

IMI can be fast, it takes quite a bit of precision to take the tight corners. And GET PANTS! Unless you don't want to go to any race track again..
    ---------
    '05 R1 in Yamaha Blue
    word

Well, I didn't realize that IMI was so lax until I read this thread. I dont have the money to go buy full leathers quite yet and dont know if I even want to because I haven't done a track day yet. So, would I probably be ok as long as I took it easy, to just come out with jeans but then also my jacket gloves helmet and boots? If I like it I'll drop some money on a good set of leathers but it seems stupid to do without knowing if I like riding the track.

Also, any special rules on bike setup? Safety wire, sidestand removed, lights covered, anything like that?

No rules for the bike, but we will ask you if you don't mind taping up or removing your mirrors while your there. I bring Painters Tape everytime I go and it's easily removable for anyone that wants to use some. No rules for the bike being prepped there though.

My first time, I went with with jeans as well. Believe me, after a couple of hours and feeling comfortable, you will immediately start thinking about what leathers you will want.

Taping up mirrors as in just covering the mirrored part? I dont think removing them will be too difficult though so Im sure I could do that just as easily.

nm.
    Last edited by Gixrben; Thu May 31st, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
    2005 GSXR-600 - Prepped for the 08 race season!
    2004 Ducati 620 - SOLD
    2003 GSXR-750 - SOLD
    2003 GSXR-600 Alstare - STOLEN
    2001 GSXR-600 - SOLD
    1981 Kawi 440z - Being Cafe'd

Board Newbie

where is IMI?

IMI MOTORSPORTS INC
    5074 Weld County Road #8
    Dacono, Colorado 80514

If coming from Thornton, take I-25 north a few miles, take exit#232 and turn right (away from mountains). It's about 1.75 miles, road does turn into a dirt road and track is on the right side.

Board Newbie

Thanks alot.. I have been wondering where us coloradans could track ride

I recommend trailering your bike up there, its not that the dirt road is too rough, but that trucks have nails bounced off of them and that causes problems. Picked up a nail on friday, couldn't get it plugged despite the guys up theres help so I'm out of commission for a week or two. That and i-25 has gotten downright scary to drive anymore, gravel trucks that don't know the meaning of a covered load are especially bad...

<sigh> I enjoyed wearing my flip-flops and wife-beater there. Times are a-changin'

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    IMI MOTORSPORTS INC
    5074 Weld County Road #8
    Dacono, Colorado 80514

If coming from Thornton, take I-25 north a few miles, take exit#232 and turn right (away from mountains). It's about 1.75 miles, road does turn into a dirt road and track is on the right side.
    Additional info:
    http://imimotorsports.com/
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

No bike with a rear tire larger than a 160.....
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet
    http://roadrunnertg.com/