Thread: Starting an F4i question

Starting an F4i question

I have not riden this bike yet, but when I picked it up last week I did get it bump started and got the battery to charge up some.

After the battery was charged and the key was turned on I would hear what sounded like the FI system kicking on and running through some sort of test and stop after about 4 or 5 seconds.

Now that I have the bike alomst back together and trickle charged the battery, when I turn the key on I do not hear the FI noise anymore. But everything else seems the same.

3 thing to consider....
    1 - I did take the tank off, it is back on now and have doubled checked all is hooked up on the underside
    2 - There is almost no gas in the tank
    3 - the battey was out of the bike for about a week

I was thinking it might have something to do with the tank being virtuallly empty....

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Now that I have the bike alomst back together and trickle charged the battery, when I turn the key on I do not hear the FI noise anymore. But everything else seems the same.
    So does the bike start??? That sound is the HISS (Honda Integrated Security System).
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    when you turn the key on you SHOULD hear the fuel pump make a noise... if you're NOT hearing that you need to check the clutch side back/bottom of the tank and make sure the fuel pump is connected... It also could be that the kill switch is not being turned off for some reason...

Fuel pump will make noise even if there is NO gas...

Put about a gallon of gas in it... then try that...

is the RED FI lite staying on?

worst case could be your fuel pump died... *doubt it...* but i'll bring my extra fuel pump down on Friday.

PM me maybe we can look at it tonight...
    Newton

Possibility...

If you've been turning the key off and on several times without starting the bike, or letting it sit for very long in between keying, the fuel system could simply be pressurized- hence it doesn't need to prime the system. (The noise the fuel pump is making comes from actually pressurizing the system so that it'll start up quickly...)

But I think the real question is, does it start?
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com

The fuel pump noise happens every time the system is powered regardless of whether the system is primed or not. You must have the kill switch set to "On" for the fuel pump to get power, though. I'd bet the power connector for the fuel pump isn't hooked up, I've missed that one a couple times before while putting the bike back together.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Site Admin
    /agree

I know i missed it like 2 times already... ut let us know... Alex is > then me on the F4i, but i'm learning...

Also I have the shop man for it, so if we need to put it into diag mode we can read the codes.
    Newton

Site Admin
    /agree

I know i missed it like 2 times already... ut let us know... Alex is > then me on the F4i, but i'm learning...
    Newton

It will not start, but I figured that was mainly because no gas in the tank, also verified the kill switch in set to ON.

I verified the wire is hooked up and still no prime noise. Is there a fuse for that, I do not see it labled in the under seat fuse box.

The FI light goes out after a few seconds after the key is turned on.

I just got home and will fittle with it some more and put a gal or so of gas in it.

Thanks!

By chance did you disconnect the Bank Angle Sensor (box in the nose, mounted to headlight assembly) when you were removing the headlight connectors? That will cut out the fuel system if it is disconnected. How about the side stand cutoff switch, did you remove your kickstand?

Incidentally, it doesn't look like my extra rearsets are going to arrive today, so I doubt I'll have them to loan to you this weekend, sorry.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    By chance did you disconnect the Bank Angle Sensor (box in the nose, mounted to headlight assembly) when you were removing the headlight connectors? That will cut out the fuel system if it is disconnected. How about the side stand cutoff switch, did you remove your kickstand?

Incidentally, it doesn't look like my extra rearsets are going to arrive today, so I doubt I'll have them to loan to you this weekend, sorry.
    Most likely removed that BAS with the whole light assy... What does it look like - might have to splice it back in...DANG, my fault.

I did remove the kickstand, but have tried to start it with it plugged back in and still nothing. What is the best way to remove that?

No worries on the rearset - Sun had a shifter I picked up this morning - 60 bones but it will get me going for now and I can save up for a rearset. But Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it...

It screws into the backside of the headlight assembly, it's small (about 3 inches per side) with a 3-prong wire running off it to a flat connector. The service manual should describe it, and here's a pic of where I relocated mine.

http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/i...relocation.jpg

For the kickstand, I just stuffed some bare wire into the green connector where it separates from the kickstand up above the front sprocket, then taped over that to bridge across the pins in the connector. Longterm solution would be to solder it.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

Excelent - Thanks

http://thequinnhome.com/ebay/wires.jpg

Mine looks the same with 3 wires coming out. I have 2 of them wired back up but, the red & white that go off the picture. But I can't figure out where the 3rd wire, green, is supposed to go.

It looks like it goes to one of 2 of these little fuse looking box's (there is one in the pic) but not sure how to hook this back up....

Dont have a manual - guess that needs to go one my list to buy also....

Whoah, what'd they do to your bike?

I have not a clue why the wiring would be changed like that, it looks like they wired it to one of the relays. I'm PMing you a link to the online version of the service manual, hopefully you can trace the wiring diagram and see whats going on. I'd try to help you more, but I'm at work and won't be able to compare my bike to your pic until later tonight.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

Man, I haven't a clue what Sun did with this thing...

Thanks for the help man - I'm taering my hair out right now.....It's kind of fun tho.

Take it easy,
    Aaron

WOOHOO!!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE - AND THE LINK ALEX, HUGE HELP....

Got the fooker wired back up......the gas now kicks in, just need to put some in and give it a test fire.....

I also got a trailer....things might just work out....

ME RIGHT NOW =

Site Admin
    Sweet! congrats!
    Newton

Awesome man, glad to hear it! Definitely come find me tomorrow and introduce yourself if I don't find you first, just look for the yellow/black leathers with the big star on the front and back.

Dunno what I was thinking earlier, but the green wire probably runs to ground somewhere. If your wiring harness is all mangled (like the parts in the picture appeared to be) I've got a complete one on the way from Ebay, I'd be willing to part with it for what I paid if you'd like. Should be here by next week.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    Awesome man, glad to hear it! Definitely come find me tomorrow and introduce yourself if I don't find you first, just look for the yellow/black leathers with the big star on the front and back.
    it's NOT a star... It's a target! Damnit Alex HOW MANY times do I have to tell you???

BTW is Dave going to be there tomorrow? I'd like to get my shox at a good base number...
    Newton

Yup, Dave and I are hoping to leave Fort Collins by 6:30 and hopefully get there around 9 so I can make the 10:15 practice. Marcus will also be there, so you can definitely get sorted out.

And it's only a target for you if you can catch me, Bertha!
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller