Thread: Avoid "Billboards" -- Rider Safety

Avoid "Billboards" -- Rider Safety

As a follow-up to Spiderman's post on ride safety here is a visual and something to consider.

Avoid billboards. No, not the ones advertising for the latest beer ad or proposition for pot smoking. What we're talking about here is the ones that block your view. Following too close to these has two negative effects. 1) It makes it difficult for traffic ahead of you to see you and 2) It makes it near impossible for you to see what is ahead i.e. road damage, debris on the road, turning traffic, etc.

Here is a shot that says it all. The dump truck totally obscures the view ahead. How many times have you been in this dangerous position?

Re: Avoid "Billboards" -- Rider Safety

Especially if there are cars behind you. The guy up ahead making a left or right will only see a big empty space between the truck and the car behind you and will shoot between the gap.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

i got stuck behind one of those trucks with a bunch of sand/gravel in it and cars to either side of me. i was sangwiched inbetween with no way out.

not only did the fear of something happening in a split second that would surely turn me into an egg salad scare the shit out of me, but the damn freakin pebbles that were flying out of that truck! it was like being stuck outside in a damn hail storm! any time i'd try to get around, one of the cars would speed up and block my way out! oh the pain and sounds of gravel bouncing off of my helmet and my bike for what seemed like HOURS AND MILES!!!!

finally, the road widened and i took off.
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

+1

Pilot,
    What I really want to know is:
    Where the hell did you find a picture of a PINK dumptruck?
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.