Thread: Open parking lots for practice?

Open parking lots for practice?

I read Kendos post "ride like a pro" and like it. I have a buddy that needs to get his license and is having issues with his big, fat heavy cruiser around the cones. I always need more practice with slow riding and turning at steering lock.

Are there any large unused parking lots on the east side of town? I heard that there is a lot in Aurora that is large enough to practice touching a knee if that is to your liking. If you know where these lots are please post them up.

Thanks
    Toby

Re: Open parking lots for practice?

there are a bunch of big parking lots in the Inverness area that are empty on the weekends.

school should be out pretty soon. they usually have big lots.
    2008 CBR600RR

Tons in the DTC area.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Early Sunday mornings at most any high school is usually good. If you don't go to fast the cops don't really mind. They know you are practicing skills. Now a church on a Sunday, that's a wee bit different.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

I have hit a couple in the Highlands Ranch area, like off Lucent.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Thanks for the suggestions All.
    I get the Idea, use parking lots on off hours. Unfortunately that ends up being weekends which eats into prime time activity hours. I was hoping someone would reveal a killer 10 acre lot, without any cage traffic, available 7 days a week, void of cops, with a tarmac made of nerf and a roach coach that hands out free hot dogs. It Doesn't exist?
    Okay... just someplace that is useable during the week would be optimal. Until then I guess back to school I go.

Beotch - where off of Lucent? Avaya building? I'm right around that area.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    I get the Idea, use parking lots on off hours. Unfortunately that ends up being weekends which eats into prime time activity hours. I was hoping someone would reveal a killer 10 acre lot, without any cage traffic, available 7 days a week, void of cops, with a tarmac made of nerf and a roach coach that hands out free hot dogs. It Doesn't exist?
    Okay... just someplace that is useable during the week would be optimal. Until then I guess back to school I go.

Beotch - where off of Lucent? Avaya building? I'm right around that area.
    Oh yeah? Me too. Avaya does run 24-7 I believe and they have security guards who chase you off. On the southwest side of that corner, there are two buildings which share a parking lot that I have used to teach some skillz. Since I am right around the corner as well, I would be happy to come yell and make demands of you
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

i know there is a parking lot that is quite large i never see cars in it over off of havana just south of dartmouth on the west side.... i was going to use it to practice some skills

We have a couple down here in the Springs. It's the place where they conduct the MSF course. It has the lines used for the course already. One is at PPCC North and the other is at Ft. Carson (B Street Gate).

'06 SV650S

There is a super target that was shut down on colfax. The parking lot is huge and thats where I would take people last year to practice. Local authorities and state patrol would stop by on their lunch breaks to watch. Even BS'ing with us once in a while. But we did go out there geared up and not doing any wheelies or stoppies or high revs. Just practicing tight turns. We would take drinks and such with us but made sure it was cleaned up by the time we left.

It's on the west side of colfax past the nissan dealership, just keep going towards the mountains and it's on the right side behind an autoparts store.

Heres a few pics of what to expect:

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

The Dog Track in Commerce City is huge and unused most of the time...they even have a driving school there on the weekends. But i'm not 100% sure of the hours they are open, but they seem to be open during the days and on weekends.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

AKA "Devaclis"

I am in Highlands Ranch too. A good parking lot that the wife and I use is on the corner of University and Dad Clark road. Right by 470. It is a Park and Ride lot and only half of it is ever used.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

There are a few warehouses empty on the weekends northeast of I-70 and Tower Road....large parking lots.... I sometimes head out there and practice a little before I go ride.....
    "“Don’t have good ideas if you arent willing to be responsible for them” - Alan J. Perlis"

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

I read Kendos post "ride like a pro" and like it. I have a buddy that needs to get his license and is having issues with his big, fat heavy cruiser around the cones. I always need more practice with slow riding and turning at steering lock.

Are there any large unused parking lots on the east side of town? I heard that there is a lot in Aurora that is large enough to practice touching a knee if that is to your liking. If you know where these lots are please post them up.

Thanks
    Toby
    We took one of my friends to the ACC (Arapahoe Comm College) lot to practice, thats in Littleton though. Also the Avaya lots are usually empty off C470 and Lucent, on the East side of the lots.
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

there is a nice parking lot off of Quebec and 470, back past the walmart on the right hand side. I have been back there several times helping a buddy of mine learn to ride as well as practicing wheelies.
    2009 Ducati 1198S
    2001 Red Ducati 996 (Sold)
    2006 Black-n-Grey GSXR 1000 (Sold)
    2003 Silver GSXR 1000 (Sold)
    2005 CRF 450 (Sold)
    2006 CRF 250X (Sold)

You could try the new parking lot on the corner of federal and 50th that regis college just built. there are gates, but you could get by on a bike. Nobody ever parks there because it is closer to just park on the street. The campus security is a joke to. There will be a few cars, but the majority of it is always empty. I do not know if you will have bacon troubles though.

Look for cameras even if the parking lot is empty. I work for an IT company, and lets say they keep the video and don't put up with BS.

Quote Originally Posted by cogsxr View Post
    Look for cameras even if the parking lot is empty. I work for an IT company, and lets say they keep the video and don't put up with BS.
    I work at a data center and the security gards often call us up to show us some odd happening that they find through the cameras. Zoom now days is amazing.