View Poll Results: I'm going to be there and am a...

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carnivore

38 97.44%
  • Herbavore

1 2.56%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tech Day 6/10 (please read)

Re: Tech Day 6/10 (please read)

I'm pointing out what's left of the rusty grease that came out of the bearing on the rotor. It's not real clear in the pic but there's a smear of rusty grease there.

The remainder of the ball bearings.

The "bearing" consists of the outer race which the ball bearings are sitting on in the pic. There's also an inner race and the ball bearings sit in between the two races. There are two "bearings", one pressed into either side. Before you press in the second one, a spacer is put in between the two. The center race presses against that so that when you tighten the axle, it's torqued against the center spacer (so you don't press it out).

The real problem here is getting the outside race out. When it's one unit, you just use a punch or drift to push the bearing back out. In this case, the center has come out. We discussed the situation figuring maybe a dremel to cut the race (and cutting into the hub) might be the most extreme fix. Matt happened to have an expanding tool that might be able to grip the lip of the race so it can be pulled out and offerred to try it and then go to the dremel if necessary but we'd have to get the tire up to his place a bit farther north. Matt also has a nice bearing press tool and has done it before.

Pilot had offerred to give me a ride home and was busy with his laptop looking up bearing part numbers and sizes while we worked on the front wheel. Since we were going to have to bring the wheel up to Matt's, I called Rita to come up in her car and thanked Pilot for sticking around. While we waited, we cleaned up and bagged up what was left of the spacer, race, ball bearings, and seal. Matt hopped on his Hawk and headed home after leaving instructions on how to get to his place.

About 10 minutes later Rita showed up. I put the wheel in the back, grabbed the bag, big thanks to Scott and Pilot and we headed north. We found Matt's place with no trouble, took a look at the expander tool and dropped off the tire. Since Matt knew of a bearing place in Greely, we decided it would be easier to get it from there so Matt's grabbing a couple of bearings today for me. Seals too if they can be found. If not, he'll call and I'll see what I can find.

(continued...)

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

The seal, a few ball bearings, and what's left of the last ball bearing.

The spacer, a little grimed and scored but still in good shape and the inner race.

Matt said that he'd try to get the race out (the hardest part of the whole thing) and call me when it was done. We were just a few miles down 25 heading home when Matt called. The grip worked great and the race was out.

So on top of Dave's great suspension session, I got some excellent help from Matt when I came up only to identify the problem.

Thanks to Dave for the session, Scott for hosting and letting me store the 'busa (hopefully only overnight) and Pilot for offerring the ride and sticking around to locate the part number and size of the new bearings.

And a gigantic thanks to Matt for his help in working on the bearings including stopping by to get replacements. I can't thank you enough.

Carl

What a great time! Thanks Scott for teachin us all how to collect 50+ people in the same place and maintaining the order and quiet..... well, for the most part anyway
    First, the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. Second, you can watch life with your nose pressed up against the glass. Or you can swing the doors open and step inside.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

A big thanks to Scott (RYBO) for putting this on at his place and providing everyone with a great place to do thier handywork.

Dave - Thanks for all the info on suspensions, I know a lot of people learned some valuable information during your instruction.

Pilot - I never thought I could see a Honda chain get so clean! I defiantely picked up some pointers on caring for my chain and sprokets.

Elden and Jen - excellent job with the grill, the burgers were fantastic!

Also anyone that supplied anything for the event, it was nice to see almost everyone "pitched in" someway.

Whens the next Tech Day?
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I think Dana was going to put one on in an attempt to "one up" me. Before he posts I'll remind him that his precious hawk is in my garage....and I know how to take it apart and ship it back to him piece by peice via UPS

I just want to thank everyone for putting on a very informative and friendly event!!! Thanks Rybo for hosting, and all the techs who ran sessions - I learned a ton.

By the way - is there anyway I can donate to help cover for food, beverages, etc.? I hate showing up and eating and drinking when it was obvious a lot of loot was spent on feeding everyone. Even if it's 10-15 bones... I'd like to help out if I can. Just let me know where to send the cash!

Thanks again everyone!!!!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

JSD-

Please don't worry about it. While there was a lot spent it seemed to me that it was well distributed over a bunch of people. I'm hoping the success of this event will inspire others to host similar events in the future. When that happens bring something to contribute. It was a great day, thanks for coming!

Scott

again i have to say.
    big on you scott.
    i hope your neighbors haven't complained.
    after a nice hot day in the sun i came home to find out that freda was going to be babysitting her grandkids.

joy!!!

i figured since i seemed to avoid the camera well yesterday.
    i should post one up.
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

wish we could have made it. i had my directions all messed up, we had to go past winter park, not estes park, to take the kid to summer camp. we didn't get home til after 6pm, ate then crashed out.
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Thanks Scott for hosting a great event. (And for the aluminum.)
    If there's ever anything I can do to repay ya just give a holler.

Thanks to:
    Dave, Scott and Pilot for the tech dissertations.
    Elden for manning the grill.
    Bob for all the Go Fast.....didn't sleep last night.
    And thanks to Dana, Sully, Siobhan, and Rick(?I'm terrible with names.) for the company on the ride up.

Good to see some familiar faces as well as meeting some new folk too.

I vote that Jeremy has to caters the next tech day, after all, he got his bike completely rebuilt during this one.

Probably ride up with Dana to get the Hawk, so see ya then Scott.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    I think Dana was going to put one on in an attempt to "one up" me. Before he posts I'll remind him that his precious hawk is in my garage....and I know how to take it apart and ship it back to him piece by peice via UPS
    Well, I can't 1 up ya for sure man. Great get together!! Thanks for setting this event up and for hosting my Hawk until I can get my new tires!!

I will be having a similar event after the July 29th Track Day. I will be looking for volunteers to help with the tech portion. I will be cooking and causing trouble. As it gets closer I will post up a thread.

Thanks again Scott and all you peeps who gave great tech instruction
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

I agree with everything already said, and wanna also throw Terris name out there, because without her offering to transport things in her car, ya'll wouldn't have had stands to fix your bikes on.
    Last edited by Mel; Mon Jun 11th, 2007 at 02:20 PM.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Ok, Rita drove me up to Scott's and Matt brought the tire down and his tools. Since it was a tech day yesterday and I said I wanted to do everything I could in order to be more experienced on the bike. I had to stop and pick up an axle wrench that Dave had yesterday (fits into the hex opening) at the local dealer ($35).

I used brake cleaner to clean out where the bearings were and ran a rag through the opening to get any extra bits like failed ball bearing. Then Scott cleaned off the spacer and Matt broke out his press (he showed me the seal puller first). With me keeping the tire upright and the press centered on the bearing, Matt tightened it down until it was seated. Then we put the spacer in and swapped it around to do the other side. Then we pressed in the dust seals. I tried pressing them in by hand but it was a little hard so we used the press. They went in without any problem. I lubed up the axle, cleaning off a few bits of grit. Matt used some different lube on the seals (mine was dark purple and his was a light green). We used the torque wrench and torqued it down, then put the calipers back on and torqued them down. The fender was screwed back on and then we took out the front pit bull stand and bounced the front end a little in case there was a little binding then tightened up the pinch bolts.

I took it for a quick ride around the neighborhood and of course it felt much better. In addition to the cost of the bearings and seals, I tried to give Matt some extra for gas and his time but both he and Scott refused and gave me back the difference. "It was a tech day and we're here to learn, no money was supposed to change hands."

Is that awesome or what?

I asked Matt if it'd be ok if I brought three bearings and seals up to his place in a week or two in order to replace the seals in the rear tire and he was totally willing so I'll be doing the rear ones soon.

I have pics of the work but they're in my cell and it's packed away for the ride tomorrow. I'll add them in to the thread once I get back.

Later and again, a super big thanks to both Scott and Matt.

Carl

Owned by the pee-wee track Marauder's Avatar

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=888314

Hope the link works. Thanks to Joe, Jim, Bob and Scott for all the help with the 954. Learned a lot and I appreciate you all spending the time on my little girl.
    2003 CBR 954RR
    2002 YZ250F

Marauder noun
    Etymology: French ma-raud-er
    1) one who roams about and raids in search of plunder
    2) one who seldomly goes to events, seldomly ever posts, but still thinks he is an important part of the CSC

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

damnit Jer...you weren't supposed to tell anyone you gave me rugburn!
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Owned by the pee-wee track Marauder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch View Post
    damnit Jer...you weren't supposed to tell anyone you gave me rugburn!
    Not my fault...probably the two guys after me...
    2003 CBR 954RR
    2002 YZ250F

Marauder noun
    Etymology: French ma-raud-er
    1) one who roams about and raids in search of plunder
    2) one who seldomly goes to events, seldomly ever posts, but still thinks he is an important part of the CSC

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

BURN!
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad