Thread: zx9r runs rough below 4k rpm / 2nd gear is not so good

zx9r runs rough below 4k rpm / 2nd gear is not so good

Below 4k rpm and below 40 mph my 97 z9 runs like its on 3 cylinders. I just got the bike. It has 15k on it. Above 40 mph it cleans up (ram air?).

I do not know if the bike has a jet kit. How can I tell? It has a full Micron exhaust. Can I tweek the carbs at all for this or is it just a characteristic of the bike?

Also, it has the dreaded kawasaki 2nd gear syndrome. It has a reverse shift pattern and to engage 2nd gear without sort of grinding it above oh say 6000 rpm I have to really slam it into 2nd (which is why I like the reverse pattern, lots easier on my foot!) if I do that it goes in without noise.. If I shift at low rpm its fine.. no problem.. I just changed the oil and did semi-synth 20w 50... would a lighter oil help with this?

Joe
    03 zx6rr (soon to be race)
    MRA#533 novice

Sounds like it needs a jet kit if it has a full system on it and no jet kit it would most likly run ruff. and the shifting is probley a bent shift fork about 500.00 to have it repaired at a dealer.

Any idea how to tell if I already have a jet kit?
    MRA#533 novice

Stopped in at the Kawi dealer in Longmont.. they test drove it and said I should shut up and drive it... its fine..

j
    MRA#533 novice

Quote Originally Posted by japrules
    Stopped in at the Kawi dealer in Longmont.. they test drove it and said I should shut up and drive it... its fine..

j
    That's awesome! Not many times does a dealer pass up a chance to make some money. to Marshall and the other guys at Rocky Mountain Kawi!
    Green '99 ZX-6R
    "Yeah, crazy girls are the best in bed. They're also the most likely to bite off your weiner."

Specifically Grant drove it.. was real nice. He said you just have to be real firm with the shifting.. and like I said, he said the motor sounded normal... I need tires but they are way outa line.. like $70.00 outa line.

My ex gf bought a bike there and they were real nice to us. I will go back and get some service (need valves checked one of these days)..

Joe
    MRA#533 novice