Thread: simple question

simple question

I was just curious about cleaning my bike chain. From what I have read it seems to be recommended to take the chain off and soak it in kerosene and then put it back on and lube it up. I was just curious if anyone has just used a degreaser like greased lightning or something to cleaning the chain and then just spray on the lube after degreasing the chain and washing the bike all up?
    "Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him." - Bruce Lee

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: simple question

I just use whatever Chain Cleaner that Fays is selling. No need to take the chain off and soak it. There are lots of arguments about cleaners on here. Biggest fear is drying out your rubber rings. Unless you are gonna have your chain on your bike for 5 years, I would not worry about that.

Chain cleaner, keep chain on the bike, lube when done.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Thanks for the info. That is what I was wanting to do. I figured I would just spray on the degreaser while I am washing the bike and them spray of the degreaser, let the chain dry and they lube it back up. Seemed simple enough to me. LOL!!
    "Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him." - Bruce Lee

AKA "Devaclis"

I would not use a regular degreaser. Use one made for chains. A lot of off the shelf engine degreasers can eat away at your o-rings very quickly. As posted above, this normally takes a long time to happen but some modern degreasers have chemicals in them that may be harful to your chain.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Kerosesne works really well and you can just put some in a little spray bottle like you can buy at Home Depot and use it like a spray on degreaser.

No need to remove the chain from the bike.

s

Get a wire brush, like the one you use on your BBQ grill some water and simple green..If teh bike is on a rear stand, put it in gear, ad spray on. Use teh wire brush to clear off any gunk...Rinse, repeat till happy.
    Proud Sponsor/pit crew to: -PUCK-MRA #719
    R.I.P 502

there are also chain scrubbers around that are specially designed to clean motorcycle chains. Might be worth the $

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/pro...=M8521&affid=4

http://www.pitposse.com/grchbr.html

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

I use wd-40 and an old tooth brush to clean the chain. I don't spray wd-40 directly onto the chain, but rather on the toothbrush. When I think i've scrubbed a scrtion well enough i spray more wd-40 on the toothbrush to clean it out. I wipe of fblack dirty wd-40 with paper towels between scrubbing.

Wd-40 is not a good chain lube, so i wipe off as much as i can, so the chain is dry and clean before spraying the wax on.

Chain cleaner works better i'm sure, but i didn't even know that existed, haha.
    '03 SV650
    SOLD: '00 SV650 - Ohlins rear shock, sonic fork springs + 20wt fork oil, clip-ons, rear-sets.