Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how far to lean?

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: how far to lean?

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    This looks sick to me...anyone else have any fav's?
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

^^^ needs elbow pucks
    Last edited by puckstr; Fri Oct 5th, 2007 at 07:30 AM.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post
    ^^^ needs elbow pucks
    No shit. But check out the forks. He's got them buried and he's not even touching the front brake. That's being right on the edge.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

This has got to be a photoshop....
    Last edited by Slo; Tue May 20th, 2008 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    Yeah, where's the shadow of his left hand? Seems like it'd be on the track.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    That's called "Aprilia Magic"
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Look at the differnt grain in the asphalt at the top and the rest...

New wallpaper

Last edited by Bueller; Wed Oct 10th, 2007 at 02:35 AM.

Daaaammmmnnnnn. The last two look like a hyper-extended knee waiting to happen.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Thats exactly what my dad said when he saw supermoto style

If you feel the bike try to "hop" as you are leaing, then you are leaning too much. That is caused by the tires not having enough traction and slipping out from under you. After a lot of riding experience, your body will naturlly know and remember where that point is, and you will find yourself staying within it.

Guess different bikes/tires/pressure/temp/asphault could react differently. My bike has always had smooth slides, even when I lowsided. The only hop feeling I got was when it nearly high sided me with me hanging all the way off the side of the bike.

But I can definitely feel the tires "push" smoothly whether it be the front or rear tire.

I try not to hang off the side of the bike. Looks scary way off there. I feel my ass start to sweat.

Lean over until you crash, then dont lean over quite that far! Easy enough

Quote Originally Posted by giovannir6 View Post
    Lean over until you crash, then dont lean over quite that far! Easy enough

+1

if you have chicken strips, you can still lean further. one thing guys love is to get rid of their chicken strips. makes you think you are fast. in reality, you are just leaning the bike WAY too far over, due to incorrect body position. I could run 1:39's at pueblo (yeah im not the fastest guy out there) and still come back with 1/8 inch chicken strips. my teammate would have no chicken strips yet sometimes be a second slower. but like said above, if you are asking this question your bike has way more lean to go. just make sure your body is in the right place when you push the bike, or you'll end up on your head.
    Last edited by dragos13; Thu Dec 13th, 2007 at 04:08 PM.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    I know this is going to be the newb'ist of questions/thoughts out here, but here goes...

So, when I was out at IMI that one time in March, I wore off my chicken strips and my rear tire was at about 4k miles. My new tires are bigger than the old, so first question...further to lean?

My new tires it seems are more prone to "roll" over into the lean. I got used to that pretty quickly. Had a convo with Beotch when I first realized this and then was able to adjust to the new feel. A comment was made about the chicken strips on my new tires...they're almost gone, and I don't go to the track, nor do I put a knee down, nor do I have the proper attire to try and put a knee down anyway. My worry is that I will end up leaning to far and then WHAM, I'm on the ground. I don't ride "balls to the wall," nevertheless, the chicken strips are practically gone...so, I guess the concern is that I won't feel my bike giving way as mentioned in an earlier post and that I'll just end up biffing it in a turn, cuz of my lean angle. Oh and another thought, I have yet to scrape a footpeg...will that happen before my bike actually looses it?

Please also keep one thing in mind. You mentioned going to a larger tire... Does this mean you put a 190 tire on a 5.5 wheel? If that's the case it can alter the intended shape of the tire. 190 tires are made for use on a 6" wheel. In theory, a 180 on a 5.5 should have the same basic shape as a 190 on a 6" wheel. When you put a 190 on a 5.5" wheel it distorts the intended shape of the tire slightly and can actually make the sidewall more susceptible to tucking in on it's self. Obviously it would have to be a high load/lower tire pressure situation to make this happen, but it can affect the handling capabilities of a tire. Another thing is that you mentioned the bike feels more willing to roll into a corner. This is caused again by the shape distortion of the tire. Though it might feel like the 190 handles better, it likely will transition from side to side much slower then the 180. Lastly, you would be VERY surprised to see how much lean/speed a street tire can take... If you are worried about chicken strips, don't worry about the rear tire... keep an eye on the front tire... That's a much smaller contact patch then the rear and if you are smooth on the throttle, the rear should hold... I would go back to a 180 if I were you though... Safe riding!!
    Last edited by gsxrguy5; Tue Mar 4th, 2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: update