Thread: Front Sprocket Change ?

Front Sprocket Change ?

Looking to do some testing on the sprocket sizes this week. I have the 03 R6 manual and it just says remove the bolt and washer on the outside of the sprocket, and gives torque spec for putting it back on. Is there any tricks? Do I just use a large socket and give it a turn? Any special tools or tips I need to know before I dive in this evening?

Also what size is the bolt that holds the sprocket on for the 03R6.....Its bigger than any sockets I have so Im gonna need to buy it.

Also I noticed my teeth were a bit worn on the front sprockt after PPIR. I believe my chain tention is a bit off. What is a good point of reference for chain tention. 1/4 + or - inch movement....yada yada?

Thanks for any suggestions and advice

D
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

If you don't have an impact wrench you'll probably want to slide a broom hadle or something similair through the wheel and the swingarm to keep the wheel from turning.
    The socket will be big, over 30mm most likely. I don't know the accurate size right off hand though.

Chain tension varies from one bike to another. I think my R1 manual states something like 1 1/4 inches of play.
    See, look, I know I'm homophobic, but not about gay guys. They don't bother me at all. It's straight guys who don't know their gay... they fuck my shit right up

I do this all the time. You can probably get away with leaving it in gear and using a big-ass breaker bar or impact wrench (like notto said, best option). I have a hole in my engine case I can put a hex wrench into to stop it from rolling- you may not (on that side). Use the broomstick thing if you have to but leverage is more important. I think my 1/2" ratchet is close to 30 inches long and it makes sprockets a snap.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Cool. Now anyone have the exact size so I get the right socket?

Thanks guys

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

I have a compressor if you can't get it off. I will be changing mine when my new sprockets, bodywork, tank, case covers, and windscreen come in this weekend. I guess I will be at PPIR this weekend though Anyway, email me at bikeguy0@hotmail.com if you need the help.

Leverage doesn't mean squat, on my GSXR I was turning the motor with the sprocket (in 1st gear) until I borrowed an impact wrench. You'll need something to keep the wheel from turning as Notto said, or an impact, or you will never get it off.

Well I am going to do it tonight so wish me luck. I have a breaker bar and I will get the socket today. I will also brace the wheel so it wont move. The torque setting is not extreme so it should come off with out a blown blood vessle in my brain.... Lets hope

Anyone know if something is on there to keep it tight....locktite ot just the lock washer that is already on there stock....?

Thanks guys. If I have trouble Ill hit U up for help.......

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

I had good luck with just holding the rear brake down, that was enough to keep things from turning and allowed me to remove the countershaft bolt.

Bart told me to safety-wire my bolt on, so I drilled a small hole in the bolt and wired it to the sprocket.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

U know it couldnt be easy. haha

me and a buddy both pulling on the breaker bar and no luck. Had the bike off the ground and still not a flinch. The dude that had this bike before me...or whom ever did his maintenece must a been a big freekin monkey and has everything so damn tight I cant move a thing.

Sure enough Im gonna need an impact tool.

TK will be saving my a$$ again. Talked to Brian and he says come one down and he can bail me out again. haha

Wish I had tome to get it done before Thursdays test at SCR..... Damn!!!

Saftey wired huh Alex........Wouldnt have thought to do it but I guess it cant hurt. Think I may do that as well.............cause after all Im gonna put it back on to torque spec. haha

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Yup, Bart or Brian can show you how they'd like it wired.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil
    U know it couldnt be easy. haha

me and a buddy both pulling on the breaker bar and no luck. Had the bike off the ground and still not a flinch. The dude that had this bike before me...or whom ever did his maintenece must a been a big freekin monkey and has everything so damn tight I cant move a thing.

Sure enough Im gonna need an impact tool.

TK will be saving my a$$ again. Talked to Brian and he says come one down and he can bail me out again. haha

Wish I had tome to get it done before Thursdays test at SCR..... Damn!!!

Saftey wired huh Alex........Wouldnt have thought to do it but I guess it cant hurt. Think I may do that as well.............cause after all Im gonna put it back on to torque spec. haha
    Do you have a cheater? How long is your breaker bar? If you add a piece of metal pipe (cheater) around the breaker bar you can gain leverage

That's on there tight! When I put the one on my GSXR, I tightened it until the motor started to turn (backwards) with it - can't get it tighter than that - unless for some completely retarded reason, he tightened it with an impact wrench too...

Dont suppose anyone has an impact tool that could help a brother out?

I have most of Friday open, and I can make it happen if U are avail this weekend....... Im up North 136th and Colo.

Brian at TK offered to assist but I dont really want to lug it all the way down there to have 1 bolt loosened and truck it back home. I will do it though if need be. I wish I could have gotten it done for SCR today. Headed out at 1230p.

Anyway, if anyone can assist Id appreciate it. If not ,thanks anyway.

Alex U got your sprocket wired right? Anyway U could post a pic? Since Im gonna be in there and have the bolt off anyway, Mise well drill it and wire it too.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Dion, I have an air impact. Do you have a compressor? If so, you are more than welcome to use it. Or if you want to bring it by we can take it off at my house. Only problem might be that I live in S Aurora.
    Mike

01 RSVR Mille (street)
    04 RSVR Mille (race)

MRA #98

Suomy Helmets, TK Motorsports, Zero Gravity Windscreens, Morse Racing Products, Motul Lubricants,

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."
    John Wayne

haha Nah I dont have a compressor. S Auror.....? eeek Thanks man.

Word is that Autozone may rent something like this and they are right down the street. Im gonna check into it....

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

You could run up to Harbour Freight and get an electric powered one for like 15 bucks. Not as versitle as a compressor since you can attach other tools to it, but it will help in situations like this. They are off I-225 and Alameda. They also have them at Auto Parts stores for like 25 bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36175

On sale even.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil

haha Nah I dont have a compressor. S Auror.....? eeek Thanks man.

Word is that Autozone may rent something like this and they are right down the street. Im gonna check into it....
    I have an electric impact wrench .. lemm know .. I will be in yer neck of the woods tonight.. did you find out what size socket? I can bring that too.

MV

I actually hit up Harbor Freight today. They have some decent ones for small amounts of $$ ....as always

Sorry MV I just saw that U would be in my area....last night....damn.

Luckily my buddy called and said he has one. Gonne give it a shot this afternoon. None the less Im gonna just buy one. Seems like Im gonna put it to use anyway so why not

Cash for tools has officially hit my wish list. I cant believe the amount of money U can spend on tools and still end up needing the one U dont have.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

I am pretty sure you need a 36mm socket. Easiest was too do it, is get a 1 inch drive ratchet and just get a peice of metal pipe. Works like a charm. You can use any metal pipe, then just sit on the bike, and hold the rear brake and give it a nice tug. Should come off.
    Let's Ride!!

U R never gonna believe this........... Pipe trick...failed!

Impact Wrench.........Failed!!!!

Shiot I thought that would be the end of this. The guy that put that on there before I bought it must have been superman...... Damn it!!!

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Lefty-loosey, dude.

Did you spray it with anything? Is the washer bent up over the nut?

Well I went to TK anyway. Put a corless 250 ftlb impact wrench on it........... Failed!!!!!

Brought out "Big Bertha" he called it" This was industrial baby........ 1 quick pull and several hundred foot lbs snapped it right off. Whoo hoooo

Im betting that guy that put it on impacted it on.....silly bastard.

Now I have it installed and torqued to spec.....oh yeah and I took Alex's advce and went a head and saftey wired it also. Man is it nice.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors: