Thread: Exhaust?? Full system or slip on?

Exhaust?? Full system or slip on?

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to spend the extra $$ on a full system or just go with a slip on? Remeber my bike has an EXUP valve which controls air flow, which ultimatly controls torque. If I loose the EXUP valve (full system) then I will loose torque, but gain more top end HP and save a little weight by removing the EXUP. So both have pros/cons and a pretty big price differance. All opinions welcome. Thanks.
    Let's Ride!!

Re: Exhaust?? Full system or slip on?

Quote Originally Posted by R1 Rider
    What do you guys think? Is it worth it to spend the extra $$ on a full system or just go with a slip on? Remeber my bike has an EXUP valve which controls air flow, which ultimatly controls torque. If I loose the EXUP valve (full system) then I will loose torque, but gain more top end HP and save a little weight by removing the EXUP. So both have pros/cons and a pretty big price differance. All opinions welcome. Thanks.
    In the end the full system is the best way to go. You will also need to get a PCIII and have the entire package tuned in on a dyno (Bart got some pretty good numbers out of my R1 streetbike with a full muzzy and a PCIII). If the tuner knows what he's doing there should be virtually no loss of torque, even at low RPMS where the EXUP valve helps compensate.

Or you could do like Frisco and just hack the f#cker off at the midpipe and ride it like that....
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    Or you could do like Frisco and just hack the f#cker off at the midpipe and ride it like that....
    Believe it or not, he actually paid for a kit to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    **note to self - Frisco might pay more than retail for my take-offs if I tell him they'll go faster now that I have scrubbed off a few ounces of rubber for him...
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

That's good to know that you can compensate for the lower RPM's. I was actually going to get a PCIII anyways (this place has a deal when you buy a full system they also will through in a PCIII for really cheap, and I think even free shipping, but I have to double check) I was going to put a BMC race filter in it also, so I will be definatly giving Bart a call for a custom map or my bike will run like crap.

So it is either a full system, air filter, and PCIII (but will take me a while to save up for all this)

Or just a Slip on (which I can get probally in the next month, or at most 2)
    Let's Ride!!

ive owned two R1's..a 98 and a 02...

i had a slipon M4 on the 98 and now i have a full akrapovic on the 02...

from my experience the full exhaust definately loses midrange, regardless of how its mapped, ive tried diff mappings...

yea i get more peak hp out of the full akra, but most of the time find myself missing the low end and having to downshift to get where i want to be...

ive just dealt with it, bc the power up top is there when i need it, but in retrospect id get a slipon for the 02...
    02 R1 Liquid Silver

oh and i have a PCIIIr on the 02 and still cant get the midrange i want out of it...
    02 R1 Liquid Silver

**note to self - Frisco might pay more than retail for my take-offs if I tell him they'll go faster now that I have scrubbed off a few ounces of rubber for him...
    I call dips on selling take offs to Frisco. Hell I will sell him 2 sets of take offs. I set for retail, and one for MSRP. What a savings I can get him.
    Let's Ride!!

Another R1. I also heard the same thing about the low end and mid range torque. That is why I didn't know which was better, and I would rather not loose low end and mid range just to gain high end. Were you not able to compansate?? Did you get a custom map done on a Dyno or just use the downloaded maps from the website??
    Let's Ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by another_R1
    oh and i have a PCIIIr on the 02 and still cant get the midrange i want out of it...
    Who is doing your tuning? I have an 02 motor in my 00 frame and it could pull tree stumps starting around 4500. That was actually the biggest difference I noticed with the new motor versus the stock 00 motor, that it has loads of midrange grunt. The new motor is stock internally with a PCIII (didn't figure the "r" was worth the extra cash just to be able to change the timing a bit)
    The GECCO

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    Just get the Graves Full system... that mid range problem is fixed...

http://www.gravesport.com/DynoGaller...ock%2004R1.gif
    Newton

Cool. Thanks everybody. Glenn I will take your word for it, and go ahead with the full system. You better be right, or I will cut your legs off at the knee caps. If you think people make fun of you know for being short, then just imagine what it will be like then. J/K But I will go with the full system. I was just worried about the low end, and especially since I feel that the R1 now is lacking in that category anyways, I was especially nervous.

Bertha. Thanks. I already decided on the Graves system. It was just a matter of a full system or slip on. Thanks for the input though. Did you see that big dip around 7k. Pretty crazy huh? You really can't feel it though.
    Let's Ride!!

Who is doing your tuning? Did you get a custom map done on a Dyno or just use the downloaded maps from the website??
    the first tune was done by a guy back home in GA, a race tech, err. i forget his name, but he knew what he was doing...since then ive experimented with a few standard mappings from Dynojet..

i think alot of it is just the altitude, even though EFI should compensate, there is just no way an engine can perform without the same amount of oxygen, it almost makes me want to move from CO, i swear...

pull tree stumps starting around 4500
    im not getting any REAL power until about 6k, but like i said may be this damn CO alititude..haha

now the 98 model has sick ass midrange and since then they have smoothed out the powerband a bit, starting in 2000, to make it more raceable...i really liked the blast of midrange as it had before, since i never put my R1's on the track

all this considered, id still put a slipon on any bike i get...unless the manufacturer would guarantee no loss of low end...and i saw the charts..
    02 R1 Liquid Silver

Just get the Graves Full system... that mid range problem is fixed...

and there ya have it...damn Graves really has stepped up over the past 3 years eh?
    02 R1 Liquid Silver

Site Admin
    just go to TK and get the system and all that... Brain will hook ya up... I've talked to him about that very system... Even tho the new R1 is UGLY!
    Newton

**SMACKSMACK**
    The GECCO

Site Admin
    what you THINK it looks good?!?!?!

Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha
    Even tho the new R1 is UGLY!
    That is not what you were saying when you were alone with Barn's bike..Remember..
    Let's Ride!!

Site Admin
    that was like the ugly guy with the ugly bike... The new R1 just doesn't look right... oh well.. to each their own...
    Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha
    that was like the ugly guy with the ugly bike... The new R1 just doesn't look right... oh well.. to each their own...
    Sure, Sure we believe you. That was more like the ugly guy with the sexiest bike to try and compensate. No seriously. Your right to each their own. I think the R1 is like that now. You either really like it or you don't because it has a unique style.
    Let's Ride!!

Site Admin
    now this... OMG I think I'm going to... AHH CRAP too late... anyone got a towel?

Newton

ummm.....I suppose the bike itself isn't too bad looking, but whoever did the paint and graphics has A.D.D.

and, yes, I think the new R-1's are pretty good looking...but I still like the looks of the 2000 the best...especially MINE!!

The GECCO

tfog told me becaus i got rid of my full exhaust thats why i have no low end because no exup valve