Thread: Scotts Damper for 02 R1 ?

Scotts Damper for 02 R1 ?

Im in the market for a scotts damper and mounting kit for an 02R1. The cheapest I have found brand new is 400.00. Anyone have a better deal out there? Thanks in advance for your tips.
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Re: Scotts Damper for 02 R1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil
    Im in the market for a scotts damper and mounting kit for an 02R1. The cheapest I have found brand new is 400.00. Anyone have a better deal out there? Thanks in advance for your tips.

Why do you want a Scott's?
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I have studdied them for a while. I like that one quite a bit. Its not very hard to install. Performance is highly rated. And I like the way it looks on the R1 as well. Y do U ask?

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

400 is really good since retail is like 530 or so - maybe milehi is saying that you could get another damper for less, which is true.

400 is a good price for that.

Personally, I don't like them for 2 reasons; they are not as adjustable as an Ohlins(I may be wrong but there is 8 clicks on the Scotts), and I've seen more than 1 fall apart. I prefer the linear dampers and would spend the money on the Ohlins.
    Not trying to persuade you if that's what you really want, but I can get you a really good deal on an Ohlins or Hyperpro.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Speak to me my brother. Tell me about the Ohlins. Im not at all interested in hyperpro.
    Also, what about installation. Will I need to have it done or can it be done by someone who hasnt installed one before?

Spill it chief.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil
    Speak to me my brother. Tell me about the Ohlins. Im not at all interested in hyperpro.
    Also, what about installation. Will I need to have it done or can it be done by someone who hasnt installed one before?

Spill it chief.
    Good dampers on a new bike will very likely be bolt-on. Scotts are for sure.

By the way, are the scotts just more pricey for new R1's or something? Every place that sells them for my bike is $400...

A few words about the Scott's damper

I took this from the latest (Dec. '02) issue of Sport Rider, where they compare a modified '02 R1, GSX-R1000 and RC-51. The R1 had a Scotts damper. Here's what they said:
    Two advantages of the Scott's damper compared to conventional tubular steering dampers are fitment and adjustability. The Scott's unit bolts onto the top triple clamp without any drilling, and offers more adjustability by virtue of it's rotary design. Not only are high- and low-speed damping circuits adjustable, but the "swept" area that the damper affects is also variable. The other major advantage to the rotary damper is that its mounting position atop the upper triple clamp keeps it out of harm's way in case of a tip-over. Installation was easily handled in 15 minutes with no drilling required.
    There was something else mentioned about the Scott's damper that you will probably want to pay attention to:
    ... we did notice that the damper's rear mount (it uses a bolt that threads into the single forward tank mount) shifted a bit during out test; the rear mounting point is pretty far from the damper unit, and despite the bracing to counter the resulting leverage, there's a lot of stress on that single 6mm bolt. We'd keep a close eye on this portion of the damper kit.
    Sport Rider also listed the price for the Scott's damper at $450.

I hope some of this helps.

Yeah, I was gonna say, my understanding is the Scotts is MORE adjustable, which was stated in the article quoted above. There's more than 8 clicks for sure, plus the low-speed adjuster (which they recommend you don't adjust unless you know what you're doing since the high-speed circuit also mildly affects the low-speed circuit), as well as the sweep control circuit for range of motion.

The Ohlins is obviously highly regarded, and don't arbitrarily discount the Hyperpro, I've heard good things about that one as well. From what I've read and heard, the advantage of the Scotts is the survivability in the event of a crash, due to its rotary design (lots of force applied to a linear object can perhaps == bending).

The thing that makes me worry slightly is the single mounting bolt to the gas tank mount -- my CBR uses two 5mm allen bolts to secure the mount.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

hell I went the route of find the cheapest damper kit works ok so far all the damper really needs to do is lessen headshake and personally run my damper very light . as for hyperpro thanks but I prefer dampers that don't blow out

Bryce MRA 418

Hey all, Thanks for all the comments. Most of U have strengthened my want for the Scotts. Now for the search on a price. 400.00 seems to be the best around. Perhaps its time to pony up the $$ and get it.
    Thanks all.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Having been using the scotts almost as long as I have had my bike I can say a few things.

1. It is the most adjustable damper you can buy.
    2. Nothing on mine has ever shifted or broken
    3. You can install it yourself in about 15 mins if you have a crescent wrench big enough for the nut on the steering stem.
    4. It has saved my ass a few times, but I think most dampers worth their salt would do so as well.
    5. The mounting to the tank bolt appears to be into a single 5mm bolt. This may appear weak until you consider the small torques occurring that close to the steering stem. I have heard of the pin shearing, but only during things that shouldn't really be happening like crooked wheelies and wrecks. This pin is replaceable too.
    6. Don't forget the locktite when you install. If you leave this out you will have missing parts faster than you can say "hmmmm, what did I forget?" Fortunately, the kit comes with locktite.

On the R1 - the rear mounting point is almost touching the damper - the point made in sport rider about this is moot for the R1.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout
    Having been using the scotts almost as long as I have had my bike I can say a few things.

1. It is the most adjustable damper you can buy.
    2. Nothing on mine has ever shifted or broken
    3. You can install it yourself in about 15 mins if you have a crescent wrench big enough for the nut on the steering stem.
    4. It has saved my ass a few times, but I think most dampers worth their salt would do so as well.
    5. The mounting to the tank bolt appears to be into a single 5mm bolt. This may appear weak until you consider the small torques occurring that close to the steering stem. I have heard of the pin shearing, but only during things that shouldn't really be happening like crooked wheelies and wrecks. This pin is replaceable too.
    6. Don't forget the locktite when you install. If you leave this out you will have missing parts faster than you can say "hmmmm, what did I forget?" Fortunately, the kit comes with locktite.
    Yes - do NOT forget the loctite! There was a huge issue with the early ones where, at fairly inopportune moments, that little screw would pop out from vibration. Never caused a wreck to my knowledge but gave a lot of riders some skid marks (in the knickers mainly). I've never heard of anything on a Scotts damper breaking under normal, even hard use - remember, these are designed by engineer-types to stay at top form under the worst racing conditions, which I doubt you'll be seeing.

Also - that nut on the steering stem affects the pressure on the head bearings. A crescent wrench is good for getting it off an on, but if you want to set it to proper torque just let me know, you're more than welcome to swing by in the evening or weekend and use the torque wrench on it. Note, if your steering acts all funky after you put it on, check the tension on that nut first since it'll cause all kinds of weird stuff (head shake, wobbles, negative stability, etc)

Also - that nut on the steering stem affects the pressure on the head bearings. A crescent wrench is good for getting it off an on, but if you want to set it to proper torque just let me know, you're more than welcome to swing by in the evening or weekend and use the torque wrench on it. Note, if your steering acts all funky after you put it on, check the tension on that nut first since it'll cause all kinds of weird stuff (head shake, wobbles, negative stability, etc)
    Actually I don't think this nut would affect the steering stem on the R1 because it's above the triple clamp which is above the 2 locking nuts(which is where you optimize the torque to control the steering and requires special tools) and some other crap. I know on other bikes it makes more of a difference when there is less stuff in the middle.

the "deals" section in r1-forum.com has really good deals on scotts dampers because that seems to be what every r1 rider wants. i remember seeing it under $400 but it's been a while...
    i got a toby damper for my r1.......works just fine and $$$$ less than a scotts. :wink:
    obviously doesn't look as "cool" as scotts......