Thread: Constructive criticism on my "skills"

Constructive criticism on my "skills"

All,
    Jay was kind enough to video my riding from the infield out at IMI. I realize that the video is a difficult perspective to critique from but I am hoping that this fine group of riders might offer some advice on how to improve.
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2bd4e48a-41c8-4f89-8d0e-995200de66ce.htm

Thanks,
    -Doug
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

Re: Constructive criticism on my "skills"

I think it'd be better if Jay or someone else were following you. From what I could see, it looked ok. Well, other than running that cart off the track in turn 8

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

What is funny is that I never even saw the cart out there. It wasn't until Jay let me know he was back there that I realized he wanted around. IMI can be a very tough track to pass on.
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

Quote Originally Posted by All-Labout-me View Post
    What is funny is that I never even saw the cart out there. It wasn't until Jay let me know he was back there that I realized he wanted around. IMI can be a very tough track to pass on.
    It's the main reason I go slow on the back straight. To give folks the chance to go around if possible. I'm learning curves, not straight line speed

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

I'm curious to see if any experienced riders might agree with what I thought I could see in the video about you sitting pretty far back in the seat making your arms pretty extended while trying to turn and lean.

Doug, we will have much better video after this Saturday......

On a sidenote, does anyone know how to edit two video scenes onto one screen at the same time....something like a split screen/pip type of thing? Would like to get something to where we can show an off the bike infield camcorder filming but another with the bike following.

Doug-

You look like shit man... Just kidding, kidding...For a BMW fella, you sure look comfortable on that GSXR! I do kinda see what Jay's talking about. This is good stuff for me to learn from as well. Hopefully, sometime down the road I can get Jay and maybe some others out at PMP to give me some good advice, as I know I'll surely need it.

Keep working her out Doug.

Randy
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Your upper body is twisted, you are trying to keep your head square over the center of the bike, while your lower body is hanging off. Put your face into where your mirror would be. Other than that I would say ask people who actually know, getting advice here is hit and miss at best. I am not the greatest of riders so I hesitate to give much advice. If you are serious about proper technique do a private w/Mark Schellinger. He can tell you what you are doing wrong and how to correct it. Plenty of guys swear by him.

Mark Schellinger offers private coaching by the hour.
    AND
    Vanmar Racing will also be offering a new rider certification school on Thursday July 19th.

Mark's private lesson and coaching day on June 25th is now full.

We are now booking lesson's for July.

The dates available are:

Tuesday, July 17th Available for private coaching
    Thursday, July 19th New Rider Certification School
    Monday, July 23rd Available for private coaching

Monday July 30th Vanmar Racing/ Team Michelin Track Day
    Tuesday, 7/31 Available for private coaching

Please e-mail Tammy with any questions or to reserve time.
    vanmarracing@mindspring.com

303-944-0334

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Your upper body is twisted.
    Yeah I saw a little bit of that. Really if you just pointed/got you your shoulder out a little bit more I think it would fix that.

One other thing is when you initiate your turn (especially in that long right) you turn-in and then stand up the bike a little bit and then initiate the turn twice (probably getting off the gas a bit)

If you havent' read Twist of the Wrist 1&2 I would recommend it. Next time you're out work on only putting one steering input into the bike per corner (and not correcting mid-corner) and keeping the throttle cracked on through the whole turn. (I'm not explaining it as well as Keith Code!)

Anyway looks good, you should come down to Pueblo and let your GSXR really stretch it's legs. Plus you don't have to deal with carts all over your arse.

I have a long reading list.

Lee Parks - Total Control

Keith Code - Twist of the wrist 1 & 2 (still need to order them)

Andy Ibbott - Performance Riding Techniques (Also still need to order)

On top of all the reading I have the Ricky Orlando course on the 26th of this month and plans to go out for Keith Code's class some time this year.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    It is always good to get a different purspective.
    -Doug
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

Doug, I will bring the twist of the wrist DVD with me on Saturday.

Thanks Jay.
    As usual.... You ARE the MAN!!!
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    I'm curious to see if any experienced riders might agree with what I thought I could see in the video about you sitting pretty far back in the seat making your arms pretty extended while trying to turn and lean.

of all things, this is what i saw... from some of the angles it was a bit difficult to give much input... and w/o the sound of the engine to hear what your doing on the throttle i cant see anything else
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Your upper body is twisted, you are trying to keep your head square over the center of the bike, while your lower body is hanging off. Put your face into where your mirror would be. Other than that I would say ask people who actually know, getting advice here is hit and miss at best. I am not the greatest of riders so I hesitate to give much advice. If you are serious about proper technique do a private w/Mark Schellinger. He can tell you what you are doing wrong and how to correct it. Plenty of guys swear by him.

trying to 'kiss the mirror' only works so far... what really needs to happen is to bend your inside elbow... point it to the ground... this will pull your shoulders off... focusing on the head is the last thing you want to do... you need to start w/ the shoulders and naturally the head will follow
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

For all that wanted a chase view to provide a little help in my technique.
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c...5a00db6334.htm

Thanks again to Jay and his fab chase/video skills.

-Doug
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

Not bad... you look more comfortable in right turns then left turns... work on getting the shoulders off a little more when you lean left. Your body position does not look that bad... still work the shoulders off, and hang on more with the outside thigh.

Work on being a little more smooth, it seems like there are points that instead of making the track flow you get over excited and then flick it in and get back on the gas (which isnt necessarily a bad thing)... just work on making the entire turn flow a little better.

Use more of the track... there are points that you are entering the turn from the middle of the track, instead of going all the way out and then turning in and hitting the apex (dont worry i do that too ) Make sure your getting ALL the way back to the inside... you should be putting your knee over the dirt in most places.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399