Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Plains Raceway

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Re: High Plains Raceway

Personally I won't give anything until this place is built. You have no clue what your money is going twards except "to build a track." At least at Pueblo you can see what improvements are happening and know where your money is going.

Who says they'll have enough money to finish this track? You might as well throw your money in the fire becuase it won't come back if they run out of funding.

Once they open I'll be more than willing to support their facility, until then they get nothing.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    Personally I won't give anything until this place is built. You have no clue what your money is going twards except "to build a track." At least at Pueblo you can see what improvements are happening and know where your money is going.

Who says they'll have enough money to finish this track? You might as well throw your money in the fire becuase it won't come back if they run out of funding.

Once they open I'll be more than willing to support their facility, until then they get nothing.
    David-

Actually, you do. You will get your money back should it not be completed. I think it gives a deadline date of December '08.

Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Randy,
    You are by far the smartest Suzuki rider I have ever met. I doff my cap to you chap.

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Ahhhh....shucks. Hey, when is it gonna be time to release Biff on the folks DK?
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    Actually, there is an existing shooting range that is just across the road from the CAMA track location. We are to the North of their property, thankfully all of their ranges point South!
    Is the track usually up or downwind from the hazardous materials incineration site?

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

You're a hard sell. I know not everyone here wants to or can help with the capital campaign but I'm hoping that there are enough of us non-racers willing to step forward with some real support to help get the track built. I could certainly donate money in my own name but I'd much rather be a part of a CSC effort to represent the interests of people who don't race but who do enjoy track days.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Not a hard sell Dirk, just a realist. Being an Architect I deal with Developer's everyday. There are pleny of avenue's to purse in order to reduce the amount of funding (land grants, tax insentives, city supplied funding). Personally "fundraising" is a last resort in order to construct the "core and shell" of a project. Depending on the good will of other's for construction cost is a poor choice in order to fullfill your hope of a track.

Like it or not, they get the track half done, run out of funds, file bankrupcy kiss you donation goodbye.

Now if they have enough funding for the "Core and Shell" of the project and are looking for donations for grandstands, etc. (items that aren't necessary but would be a nice upgrade to the facility) then thats a little different.

Like it or not, they get the track half done, run out of funds, file bankrupcy kiss you donation goodbye.
    Nah, just turn it into a 'tard track at that point.

I see where you're coming from. Everyone has to gauge the risk in deciding whether to donate. I respect your opinion. I'm willing to gamble that much to help get the track built but certainly understand that others aren't.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I'm not telling people not to donate, by all means do if you want to take the risk. I won't donate anything until I know the facility has enough funding for the core items a track requires

Konichd,

You really need to go to the website and READ the documentation, you'll find that all of your concerns are very well addressed.

First, the funding options you propose aren't very realistic for this type of project.

Second, being dependent on donations for this type of project actually IS very good choice for this type of project. We have a very captive and enthusiastic group of people to solicit. The clubs that will utilize the facility (the five core CAMA members, not referring to CSC) have more than 6000 total members. Roughly 1/3 of them are hardcore track users. All of these members have a financial interest in seeing the track built (it will save the costs of traveling to Miller and Hastings, I figure my $1000 donation will pay for itself by the end of next season) and they are obviously somewhat affluent if they are able to afford to club race in the first place.

Third, the fundraising portion of the capital campaign only has to raise about $500,000 in order to start construction (though the goal is $1 million so we can afford some really nice extra amenities) of the $3 million project. This isn't a lot of money to get from a group of people who can afford to participate in this sport.

Fourth, as the FAQ's on the website says, construction will not begin (ie, donations and loans will not be spent) until we have enough in the bank to complete a "usable facility".

Fifth, in the very unlikely event that the whole thing falls apart, the money will be returned. Without counting donations or loans, CAMA has about $900,000 in the bank already, so we have plenty of cushion to absorb expenses in the meantime without borrowing or spending donations, therefore we would be able to return every dime if construction was to never start (and, as I said before, we won't start until we have enough money to finish).

If I seem rather short tempered, it's because I have personally put 4 years of my life into this project along with some other incredibly intelligent and talented people. We know what we're doing, and it irks me to have someone come in and dampen fundraising by pointing out "problems" that don't exist, simply because they haven't bothered to do a little research.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Konichd,

If I seem rather short tempered, it's because I have personally put 4 years of my life into this project along with some other incredibly intelligent and talented people. We know what we're doing, and it irks me to have someone come in and dampen fundraising by pointing out "problems" that don't exist, simply because they haven't bothered to do a little research.
    Glenn,

Thanks for the update and the informative post. As a member of both the CSC and the MRA I've had visibility from both perspectives and can say that the CSC is not as well informed (and for good reason) about this as the MRA has been. Keep educating us and addressing concerns here and I'm sure that we can help to generate some funds.

One post earlier in this thread asks if there is a way to donate from the CSC as a group to help bolster the non-racing crowd's influence in track time decisions. (essentially assuring some open track time for non-racers) Do you think this is a possibility?

I know you have a tremendous amount of time invested in this project and I want to personally thank you for it.

Scott

Randy,
    You are by far the smartest Suzuki rider I have ever met. I doff my cap to you chap.

And I'm the dumb-ass.....heh.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    One post earlier in this thread asks if there is a way to donate from the CSC as a group to help bolster the non-racing crowd's influence in track time decisions. (essentially assuring some open track time for non-racers) Do you think this is a possibility?
    CAMA realizes that a significant percentage of the "test-n-tune" income from Second Creek came from motorcycles, and we will be mindful of that. There will be lots of track time available for test-n-tune and I anticipate having "bikes only" days available, similar to what Pueblo has been doing lately. I don't want anyone to think that the non-racers will be shut out of this awesome new facility. The CSC would also be able to reserve the track for a CSC members day. I can't guarantee that weekend days will be available, we simply haven't gotten that far into the scheduling (honestly, we haven't even discussed scheduling dates yet).

As for a recognized CSC fundraising effort, that is certainly something we could do. The form for donations can be downloaded here http://www.highplainsraceway.com/pdf...ation-Form.pdf. All of the CAMA clubs are listed on the form, but of course the CSC is not among them. Please check "no club affiliation" and write in "CSC". I will ask the administrators to track the CSC donations that same way we track the others.

I can't make any specific promises about what will or will not come as a result of this, but we obviously appreciate the donations and it can't hurt the CSC's position if you can demonstrate the impact your membership made to the fundraising campaign.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

I can't make any specific promises about what will or will not come as a result of this, but we obviously appreciate the donations and it can't hurt the CSC's position if you can demonstrate the impact your membership made to the fundraising campaign.
    That's fair enough. Scott, does the forum software allow for some sort of tracker on the front page that could list a goal and a "we are here" indicator? On the other hand, maybe there isn't enough interest among CSC members in supporting the fundraising campaign to warrant any of this effort, judging by the lack of supporting responses in this thread.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Site Admin

Dirk,

I'm not sure if the software has that capability or not, but I'll check with Ralph and see.

My guess is that the major supporters of this effort from the CSC will also be MRA members. I know that is the case for me and several others on here who are going to be supporting the new track. When I make my donation I'll be noting that I'm a member of both clubs.

Scott

Dirk,
    My guess is that the major supporters of this effort from the CSC will also be MRA members.
    I suspect you are right. But maybe we can get creative and do things like t-shirts, poker runs, raffles, etc to raise money to donate to the HPR fundraising campaign. I realize that not everyone wants to just dump a wad of money but maybe we can do some things that would encourage people to donate. Having a good track nearby would be a very positive thing for our riding community. I really hope the membership will get behind this.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

I have confirmed with the HPR Capital Campaign that if you write in "CSC" on your contribution form that they will track these donations and keep a running total.

If the CSC as a group reaches one of the "recognition levels" that earns a brick or plaque we will recognize the "Colorado Sportbike Club" with the same brick or plaque that any other individual donor would receive.

Green Flag Contributors ($1,000-2,499) = 4" x 8" inscribed brick
    Silver Patrons ($2,500-$4,999) = 8" x 8" inscribed brick
    Gold Patrons ($5,000-$9,999) = 12" x 12" inscribed brick

A group total of $10,000 or more would earn the CSC a prominent bronze plaque that would be permanently displayed at the track.

Good luck and thanks for the support!
    The GECCO

I see the donation "tally" meter on the highplainesraceway.com website hasn't been updated in a very long time. Is the fund raising still stuck at $950,000?

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    I see the donation "tally" meter on the highplainesraceway.com website hasn't been updated in a very long time. Is the fund raising still stuck at $950,000?
    Actually, it just got updated in the last day. It started out at a little over $850,000 (the initial CAMA capital)
    The GECCO

Actually, it just got updated in the last day. It started out at a little over $850,000 (the initial CAMA capital)
    Hmmm - Still about a cool million to go. A fall groundbreaking no longer seems practical. I hope they can pull this off with only 5 months left (before the Dec. 31st cut-off date).

Anyone wanna hold a state-wide bake-sale?

Someone's gotta take a proactive approach... because it won't happen from website donations alone. (Some one's also gotta tell the CAMA website people to make the donation link HUGE!! It took me tons of clicking before I spotted the tiny "donation" link below the tally meter.)

Are there ANY plans for a large event, all proceeds of which go to the track? Website donations alone just won't cut it. We gotta motivate.
    Last edited by JustSomeDude; Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:10 PM.

The actual cut off date for a useable facility is 12-31-08. It would be nice to see another $600-700k raised and loans will take care of the rest. I think they have about $1.6mil in loans available, but want to raise at least $600k to keep the loan total down.

Most all that info is on the HPR web site in the FAQ and mostly in the news releases. You will find the business plan there.

Site Admin

I just got off the phone with Bill Kephart, who is one of the CAMA members involved with developing the track. He confirmed to me that one of the goals of the facility is to provide track time to user groups, like ours. CAMA realizes that not everyone is a racer,but also realizes that the gateway drug to racing is trackdays. They want as many members (and users) as possible at the facility and are not planning on being exclusionary.

I know this has been a big question amongst us, and while it's not a "for sure" answer, it does clearly denote the intentions of CAMA and the plans for the facility.

I'm already in....who's joining me?

I can't donate anything "substantial" right now, but..... in the near future I may be able to do so and would love to see this all become a reality.

I'm already in....who's joining me?
    Ok, I'll send in $500 next week and I'll make this offer, assuming it's ok with the parties involved (CSC, CAMA): I'll pony up for the cost of a trackday to be awarded via random drawing for CSC members who donate at least $50 to the HPR capital campaign by Labor day. I'll also pony up for a half trackday drawing for people who can contribute at least $25. How's that sound CSC members?

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson