Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Plains Raceway

Re: High Plains Raceway

Sounds good to me but you shouldn't have to motivate anyone. I think for any of us that has an interest in this new track, that should be enough motivation already whether it be for a small amount (few dollars) or up to the higher amounts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    Sounds good to me but you shouldn't have to motivate anyone. I think for any of us that has an interest in this new track, that should be enough motivation already whether it be for a small amount (few dollars) or up to the higher amounts.....
    I'm with Jay on this. I understand the intent of the motivation, but clearly this should be something folks could do for the cause, if they believe in it themselves.

With that said Dirk, I admire your enthusiasm and commitment.

Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Ok, I'll send in $500 next week and I'll make this offer, assuming it's ok with the parties involved (CSC, CAMA): I'll pony up for the cost of a trackday to be awarded via random drawing for CSC members who donate at least $50 to the HPR capital campaign by Labor day. I'll also pony up for a half trackday drawing for people who can
    Dirk - I DIG IT! Maybe you should start a thread posting your PayPal info, and to keep track of donations, etc. (kinda like how Rybo ran the track day signup). Then you could donate the funds in one big lump under the names of those who entered your drawing.

I'll donate loot!! Maybe I can sell off some bungees to toss a few extra bucks in the bin!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    I'm with Jay on this. I understand the intent of the motivation, but clearly this should be something folks could do for the cause, if they believe in it themselves.

With that said Dirk, I admire your enthusiasm and commitment.

Well, let me explain my reasoning on this. I figure I'm going to eventually donate something in the vicinity of $1K and I wanted to find some way to multiply that. I know that many people are not able to make a large donation but might do $25 or $50. But then, many of them might not actually get around to doing it because they figure it's a small amount and won't make or break the deal. True for one person. Not true if 1000 think that way. Now, if there's an additional incentive, such as winning a track day, more will be inclined to go through the effort of actually sending in the donation. Even if it only makes one person donate, I've helped raise a little more money. Hard core track riders like myself, Jay and Scott will support this track without any other incentives but I'd like to try to reach that larger group of street riders and see if we can get some of them on the track. I believe that will have far-reaching benefits for rider safety and it also grows the track riding community, helping to ensure the economic viability of the track so we'll all be able to ride there for a long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    Dirk - I DIG IT! Maybe you should start a thread posting your PayPal info, and to keep track of donations, etc. (kinda like how Rybo ran the track day signup). Then you could donate the funds in one big lump under the names of those who entered your drawing.
    Well, I'd prefer to not get involved in handling the money myself. Glenn has already said that they'd track CSC donations if you note that affiliation on the donation form. That would be the simplest way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    I'll donate loot!! Maybe I can sell off some bungees to toss a few extra bucks in the bin!

Think about that for a second. How the hell would you get your bike to the track if you didn't have your full set of bungees?

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

To date we have had about 130 individual donations and have easily passed the $100,000 mark (in donations, not total).

Check this thread HERE for more frequent updates!
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

bump for a good cause
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

Just saw this thread....I'd heard about a new track project a while ago but didn't know what the status was. AWESOME! We need this track!

In the 90's Colorado was THE place for racers/enthusiasts. We had Mt. View, Second Creek, Pueblo, Stapleton, and PPIR. You could drive out to a track 7 days a week and ride for 4 hours for $45, somewhere was always available. It blows my mind that all those tracks have closed.

I'll support this new track project.....with $. I don't care how they work it all out at CAMA, I'm all for it.

Bump!!
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

OMG !!!!! Last night was a fund raiser and chance to go view the track layout in person.... All I can say is absolutely amazing !!! The track was staked out in a way you could see exactly how it looked. Hell I even know some parts I cant wait to ride. This track will be awesome, but we are still down in contributions.... Please donate... This track is in our back yard, in a great locations, great local suport, and looks like fun that will leave grin on your face for days... I simply can not wait to ride this track.

Its fast, lots of elevation change, corkscrews, uphill blind corners, decreasing radius corners, long straights....... Please dontate. We are so close to having the funds needed to start diggin...... Heck if you can only spare 25 bucks a paycheck ... anything helps and you get the pride of knowing when you rde the track, you helped make it happen........ Please go to High Plains Raceway website and download the donation form and mail it in with a check....

http://www.highplainsraceway.com/pdf...ation-Form.pdf

After walking the track and seeing how great it will be, Ill be making my 3rd donation with my next paycheck........
    Last edited by BlueDevil; Mon Oct 8th, 2007 at 06:33 AM.
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Here's a "real" lap around the track. Lots of simulations out there but this is what it looks like from a easy stroll in Arie Luyendyk Sr.'s Corvette C6 Z06.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HratQmzs30&fmt=18
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

whoa... that place is going to be awesome on a bike
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Now that's what I'm talkin about. Those birds are kinda freaky, though. I wonder what the track will be like come race time with all that noise and people, etc., as far as animals are concerned.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

I don't know if this is worthy of a new thread, but on the HPR site's calendar are a bunch of open track friday events. The info says $150 for a full day and $90 for a half. Before I contact them does anyone know if these can be bike sessions?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

It says "all are welcome", so I'm guessing it'll be a lot like SCR was: Cars and bikes share the track until it becomes too crowded, then alternating sessions of ~20-25 minutes. Further breakdown into "race/fast" and "street/slow" groups as necessary to keep it safe and sane.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    like SCR was: Cars and bikes share the track until it becomes too crowded,

Share the road? ooohhh, that sounds spooky. good for push bikes, don't know if I like the sound of that for track bikes.

But it might be fun, can't say that I have ever been on a track "against" a car, but have goofed off in the mtns.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I wouldn't want to be on the track same time as door slammers. It would not be fun diving into a corner and having them move over cause they didn't see you. I think the Fridays would be nice excuse to get out of work early though.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

The only real problems at SCR were converging lines, as the cars run on different lines but use the same apexes in some corners, and sometimes they'll put a wheel in the dirt and drag shit onto the track. I ran on a number of occasions with cars at Second Creek and never had any issues (disclaimer: I'm slower than Christmas when you're six). They're generally later and harder on the brakes, and turn in later. We have the advantage accelerating out of the corners and down the straights. So don't try to pass 'em going in, set 'em up and fire past on the exit....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Ive been at pueblo numerous times with bikes/cars sharing the track.
    Its not a big deal as long as everyone has been on the track before and has taken some sort of road course/driving class.

Its just like driving on the road. stay out of their blind spots and make sure YOU do everything you can to let them know where you are at.
    Dont dive into the inside of a turn when a cage is right there
    2013 BMW S1000RR
    1973 Honda CB750 / GSXR
    1987 buick grand national
    '06 GSXR 750. Race Track. Everyday Commuter. Long distance tourer. Sold

Quote Originally Posted by GNGSXR View Post
    Ive been at pueblo numerous times with bikes/cars sharing the track.
    Its not a big deal as long as everyone has been on the track before and has taken some sort of road course/driving class.

Its just like driving on the road. stay out of their blind spots and make sure YOU do everything you can to let them know where you are at.
    Dont dive into the inside of a turn when a cage is right there
    Yes but for racers and trackday riders alike, we go to ride on the track because there are no cars out there to watch out for or fight around. You take out one of the biggest safety issues when allowing both to run together. Granted I dont know of any crashes between cars and bike on these day but it does add alot to the risk factor. I will tell ya personally I will never run on the same track when cars are using it.

note: cars break alot sooner than we do. so they are actually pretty ez to pass. And im sure they are just as scared of splattering us on the track so they wont be running as hard as they would, just cars on the track.

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

Quote Originally Posted by cromer611 View Post
    note: cars break alot sooner than we do. so they are actually pretty ez to pass. And im sure they are just as scared of splattering us on the track so they wont be running as hard as they would, just cars on the track.
    I was struck by that was well. Bikes (esp fast bikes) brake a LOT later and harder than cars.

I actually had a dream about trying to do a hot lap on a track with cars. I woke up with me under the front end of a corvette. But would still be interested in doing it.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by cromer611 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I was struck by that was well. Bikes (esp fast bikes) brake a LOT later and harder than cars.
    you guys have it backwards. See Jim @ TFOG's post above. an experienced driver will brake later and harder than a bike and generally carry more corner speed. The bikes will have the advantage with acceleration.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    you guys have it backwards. See Jim @ TFOG's post above. an experienced driver will brake later and harder than a bike and generally carry more corner speed. The bikes will have the advantage with acceleration.
    +1

+1, I routinely trail brake into the apexes at SCR in a car whereas I'm nowhere close to that kind of skill on a bike.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots