Thread: Looking for 1st dirt bike and I don't know crap about them...

Looking for 1st dirt bike and I don't know crap about them...

Have been wanting a dirt bike for a long time and might be close to being ready to buy one. Only problem is I don't know anything about what's "good"! I basically want something I can take to the little local motocross track (Aztec), maybe do some relaxed trail riding, and some goofing off in sandpits.

Is there a style of bike I should be looking for, i.e. 4-stroke vs 2-stroke? I'm almost 36 and have nothing to prove so I don't need the most badass bike out there; just something fun and easy to ride that's reliable and won't bore me after a month. Oh, and I don't want to spend a lot of money so buying used is the name of the game!

I saw these bikes on craigslist -- anything worth looking into?

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/364494657.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/364464030.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/362291741.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/362279086.html
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

Re: Looking for 1st dirt bike and I don't know crap about them...

I realy like my Yamaha WR 250 F. It's good enough for the tracks ( at a moderate pace) and made for the trails. I like having electric start and the kick stand.
    Look here for more info...thumpertalk
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

Paul - I can't see the CL ads from work, but based on what you wrote I think you should go 4 stroke all the way, and I would recommend looking at enduro bikes versus motocross bikes. In the Yamaha line this would mean you want a "WR" instead of a "YZ". The main differences are clutch, gearing and cam.

Enduro bike - cammed for low end torque, bigger clutch to survive slipping on trail rides, wide ratio gearbox (shorter 1st gear and taller 5th gear) that allows good operation from walking speed all the way to near 100mph on a big bore bike

Motocross bike - cammed for high RPM HP, smaller lightweight clutch (only needs to survive the start of the race, then can be replaced if necessary) and a narrow ratio gearbox that provides lots of choices in the 30-60mph range where motocross bikes do the bulk of their on-track duties.

My first dirt bike was a WR426 that was bought on the recommendation of the other roadracers that I planned on trail riding with and I couldn't have been happier. I still have it and the only thing I would change is to get a newer one (WR450) that has electric start, it makes a big difference in the tight trail stuff. The other plus is that the enduro bikes have lights and you're just a couple easy mods away from making it street legal if that appeals to you.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Great info -- I like the sounds of the WR450. In the interest of comparison, what would be equivalent bikes from the other manufacturers (Suz, Kaw, and Honda)?
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

The Honda CRF450F...not the R...
    Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    Great info -- I like the sounds of the WR450. In the interest of comparison, what would be equivalent bikes from the other manufacturers (Suz, Kaw, and Honda)?
    CHEERS

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    what would be equivalent bikes from the other manufacturers (Suz, Kaw, and Honda)?
    The Suzuki DR-Z400E
    "The Doctor Zee"
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

You'd be looking for these (I put --- where the displacement numbers would be):

Honda CRF---X (the R on the end is the motox bike)
    Suzuki DR-Z--- (the RM or RM-Z are the motox bikes)
    Kawasaki KLX--- (the KX is the motox version)

Note that these are all 06/07 model references, they may be a bit different for bikes that are a few years old. But there are a few quick and easy ways to discern what you are looking at. Most manufacturers classify their dirt bikes three ways - Motocross, Off-Road and Dual Purpose

Motocross = motocross bike
    Off-Road = trail/enduro bike, will have headlight and tail light, but not the brake light, turn signals, mirrors, horn, etc that make it street legal. May or may not have a starter depending on year and model
    Dual Purpose = trail bike with everything necessary to make it street legal, or could be something like the Vstrom that is more of a streetbike that can be ridden off-road.

I think you are looking for something in the Off-Road category.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I rode Dysco's WR450 around for a week or so, and can attest to it being a fun ride! It's also one torque-happy sonofabitch, so if you get one spend some time doing easy stuff while you get used to the power band and rapid 0-to-holy-shit factor, especially in low gears. His was street legal (barely) and I commuted to work on it quite happily, though I'm glad the cops didn't see it. The security guard at work didn't seem to like me jumping it on the speed humps though.

I agree with Glenn, you probably want something along those lines. However if you want to try a dual sport out you are welcome to come ride my Suzuki DR650 around. It isn't a full on dirt bike, but is an excellent ride for fire trails and 4wd/ATV-road adventures, and you can ride it to and back from the dirt stuff as well. It also does pretty well in the canyons; I just put 1000 miles on it this weekend doing the SoWeCo ride to Durango and back, and even with the suspension way off it was still a blast - it also ate up the crappy sections of pavement and the 2 miles of dirt we rode down between Sedalia and Deckers that the sportbikes weren't very happy on.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

My first dirt bike was a KDX420 2 stroke. I would put that one at the top of your list of bikes NOT to start on. I would also recommend against a CR500, KX500, RM500, or YZ490, or anything European, 2 stroke, and over 300 ccs. I have manged to hurt myself on pretty much all of the above.....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Any thoughts on the KTM 450XC or 450MXC? A buddy on another forum said they were better performers than the WR or CRF-x.

Also, what's a reasonable price for, say, a 2005 WR or CRF? I was hoping to pick something up for $3000-$3500 but I'm not sure that's realistic...
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

Don't know much about KTM's.
    3k for an 05 is rare. I payed just under that for my 03 WR250. It's tough looking for used bike, they go quick.
    I have heard about some valve problems on the CRF's. But then I have heard of gear problems on the WR's. Again, I recomend some reading on Thumper talk
    IMO performance is so close these days, only a pro or very expierenced rider can tell the difference. It boils down to what color you like and how much the spare parts are. If your new to riding dirt, get a bike that is mellow, good suspension, and reliable.
    I highly recomend the Yamaha WR250 or 450F, 03 or newer. There is lots of free and low cost mods you can do to them to get a little more power.
    '01 SV 650 S
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

Avoid CRF 450 of the 02-04 vintage, they are the ones with valve problems (and I owned one and had friends with others and they all loose clearance on the intakes, IMHO, honda pushed the limit on titanium valve size a touch too big, note the 07's went down a mm or two).
    KTM's seem to be either really good or really bad, not quite sure what's with that.
    If you are not planning on making it street legal and just want a mess around bike I'd look at two-stroke 250's (Yea, ), they are cheap with everyone jumping on the thumper wagon and maintenance is wayyyyyy cheaper than one of the 450's.
    Of course you could go with an XR 650 and ride away happily ever after!
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Can't go wrong on a WR. XR 400's are bullet proof, but won't win any speed contests. DRZ 400E, same deal, great trail bikes, moderate track bikes. I have had several KTM's, all have been EXC's. They have always been great bikes. I have only recently started riding 4 strokes but they are definitely easier to learn on. My YZ450 was a handful in the woods but extremely powerful and fun, but not recommended as a first bike. Get something with lighting and if you can find a titled bike, all the better. Although it is not too hard to plate them later, but you'll be better off if it has a lighting coil.

Paul G.
    2005 R1

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

I can't stop staring at your stupid avatar. so i'm gonna just throw one in there that no one has mentioned.

Honda makes a very nice XR650 and i've never heard anything bad about it, + it's super versatile.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/355906444.html
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

True, that is one of the best avatars I've seen. It's hypnotizing (sp). Do you have the full version of that?

Yamaha made the 4 strokes start easier begining model year 03. That's why I say go with the 03 and newer. They changed the cams or something.
    XR650 is a great bike, but it's heavy on the trails.
    '01 SV 650 S
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Yeah... you pretty much do have the best avatar in CSC history.

Oh, and get a Yamaha WR Paul.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

just to stray slightly from topic, but not really.... are you and deb done with street riding then?
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

I've got other avatars I'd like to use but I don't want to disappoint the CSC faithful...

I'm basically set on a WR450 -- just looking for a good deal at this point. The 4th craigslist link above seems great, although like R1chie mentioned I'm nervous about whether its been raced.

Suki -- not done with street/track, just looking for something different to get into!
    Paul G.
    2005 R1