Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Side starting out at 75 MPH

Talking Hi-Side starting out at 75 MPH

Well, overall I can say it was a fun ride this past Sunday. I rode out with a great group of riders. We traveled westbound in the general direction of Steamboat Springs. On the return ride things didn't fair so well.

While traveling eastbound on State 134 over Gore Pass I had to take evasive maneuvers.

The turn: uphill, right-hander, off-camber at the top 1/3rd and there was sand in between the wheel tracks. Not heavy but enough to create an issue for the uninitiated (knew of this sand as I had been on this road three times earlier this year).

The pace: Quick, er, very quick. Spacing between bikes was, for the most part, good enough to keep the en eye on the action ahead without having to ride up each others tails.

Traffic: Very light, but there just happened to be a cruiser coming in the opposite direction.

My friend, in front of me, (as he later noted) fixated on two things… the sand and the cruiser. Now the sand in itself was not that bad. But, it was the first sand to be seen on this stretch of road. The cruiser was having a hard time with the turn and his footboards were touching down (remember, this is an off-camber turn, so it makes it easy for the inside gear to touch down. Especially if one is off the gas, not keeping the body’s centerline inside the bikes and on the brakes, as it appeared the cruiser was).

Suddenly, my buddy in front crossed over the yellow line and just behind the cruiser (lucky for him there was no oncoming traffic). Traveling behind him I had a good line and was well set in the left wheel track. My body position was correct and I was on the gas keeping the suspension in the sweet spot.

I was looking through the turn and watching the action in my periphial vision. As my buddy started to regain control he cut back across the yellow and into my line. He had nearly reduced his speed by half and my approach speed was now double his.

I had a hard choice to make and make it fast indeed. I had two options: one, to t-bone him at around a 35 MPH closing speed or, two, go to his left. There was no oncoming traffic so I chose the lesser of two evils. Trust me, If there had been a car coming the other way I would have got hard on the brakes, counter steered more into the turn and hoped for the best if I had hit him.

I had a split second to do the following:

I immediately pushed hard on the left grip while at the same time rolling on a bit more throttle. As soon as the bike was upright I moved my body back to neutral and squeezed my knees hard on the tank.

Next, I rolled off the throttle while at the same time inversely applying the brakes. I only had about 30 feet of pavement to get hard on the brakes without overdoing it and ending up in a tank slap.

Now the edge of the paved road ended and I was traveling over forest access road 11 which just so happened to intersect 134 at that turn. At this time I stood up moto-cross style and kept my weight on the balls of my feet and my hands firmly but ams relaxed on the grips. The bike, all 675 pounds of it, was now pretending it was a Dakar. Well, the little bit of dirt road I was on soon ended and there was a drainage ditch (swale) on the far side. I immediately compressed my body to ride through the ditch. At this time I’m guessing I was doing about 60 MPH! Somehow I managed to make it through the ditch but I did feel my forks bottom out on the other side.

Next, the bike and I un-weighted off the suspension and I had no braking whatsoever for about 20 feet. When gravity took effect I cranked hard on the rear brake to let the tire start to dig in. I realized that if the front were to lock up I would pitch over going way too fast and there was a stand of aspens looming ahead. Luckily for me, I had a bit of a clear path through the trees and I did my best to steer right of the first stand of sticks.

A low hanging branch was blocking my view and as my helmet passed through I saw what looked to be a 10 inch diameter aspen in my direct path. I knew that my closing speed was so great that if I were to hit it head-on that me and the bike would be in bad shape. By now my speed was down to 30 to 35, I’m guessing.

All that training I’ve been taking (Lee Parks- Total Control, Fast Freddie, Ricky Orlando, discussions with friend and fellow riders, not to mention several books, movies and countless miles) continued to act upon me. Some call it muscle memory or “go with what you know”. I didn’t want to do the following but I had no choice.

I pushed hard on the right grip while at the same time punching on the front brake. This immediately caused the bike to dive out from under me. As soon as it started to fold away and friction made it do that fast, I let go of the handle bars, pulled my arms up and across my chest, tucked my helmet’s chin bar tight into my chest, pulled my legs up into the cannonball position and went for a high-side ride.

I saw the words Kawasaki on my tank drop out from under me and out of the corner of my left eye the dusty bark of the aspen flew by. As soon as my forward momentum decreased and gravity won I sank toward the ground my feet snagged into the dirt and rocks and I must have tumbled end-over-end 3 to six times. I came to rest on my ass still tucked into the fetal position.

Again, training took over and although I wanted to jump up I began to methodically do things step by step. I looked around with my eyes, not my head, to see where I was. Then I began to “feel” my body. Nothing felt out of place. I started to wiggle my toes and fingers and then move my arms and legs a bit. No issues. Then I checked my neck and back. Once I felt I was in order (this all took about five seconds) I looked over my right shoulder to see what was going on with the other bikes.

They were coming to rest and kickstands were dropping down fast. I looked at their faces and they (three riders) were all bug-eyed. I guess it was kind of a shock to see what had just happened. I then looked back at my poor bike. There she was upside-down covered in dirt, rocks and weeds—just barely resting with her nose cowling against that aspen.

We got her back up on her feet and pushed her through a ditch and back up on the road. The rest was the usual stuff, check the mechanicals and get her up and running for the ride back, some 125 miles, to Denver.

How did it feel you may wonder? Well, first off I felt very comfortable through the whole thing. Hell, I may have been laughing and yelling WOOHOO under my visor. No, my life didn’t flash before my eyes. My eyes were too busy assessing the situation. It all happened soooo fast. My guess is that it all too about six seconds from beginning to full stop. But it was in Techincolor!

Training and safety gear paid off big time. Not to mention the ruggedness of my big-ass ride. Thanks Kawasaki for making it a tank.

The end result: some cracked plastic, a broken mirror stem and sore shoulder.

You might think, man, that was one hell of a day and glad to be done with it. At least I did. But, nooooo, not to be had. Later, on the way home at I-70 and the
    Empire exit one of the other riders in our group went down and his bike got run over by a car. But, my friends, that is another story.

I guess I’ll end up with this thought for you. Next time you’re wondering what you should spend your money on, that cool gizmo, or rider training, go with the latter.

Regards,
    Pilot

P.S. pics to follow
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Re: Hi-Side starting out at 75 MPH

WOW.... Glad you are ok !!!
    "“Don’t have good ideas if you arent willing to be responsible for them” - Alan J. Perlis"

Wow.. that's a hell of a story!! Glad to hear everyone's ok

Lunch at Mango's in Red Cliff

Where you can just see my tires start to bite in. Speed maybe 70. Notice that somebody painted the word "SLOW" on the road.

Time to ride moto-style! about 60 mph.

Through the ditch and into the woods! 40 MPH

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Damn branch blocking my view. Uh OH! Is that a tree on the other side!?!

Can you say "High-Side Time!" 30+ MPH

Just barely a nick in Mother Nature. (wipes sweat off brow)

Somehow I managed to plant some flowers on my rear caliper???

Rider Workshop-USA

And the winner is! US! We didn't die! My buddy holding my mirror in his hand. You can see my windscreen cracked in half.

Lots of cracked plastic. Bummer.

Later that day....

But, that is another story.

Rider Workshop-USA

WOW ....

another good note is .... Always wear your gear... !!
    "“Don’t have good ideas if you arent willing to be responsible for them” - Alan J. Perlis"

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Sounds nervous. Glad you, and the bike, are OK
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

If it wasn't so hot that day I would've been riding with you guys. WOW... better to read about the wrecks than to see such things. I'm glad to hear that at least you are okay.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Glad to hear your OK and communicating your experience with others. Definately a good read!

Was it just me or did everyone have a near miss this past weekend?
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

DAMN!!! Pilot I am glad you are alright. When you PMed me I was thinking how can I get out of the two hours of work I have to go on this ride. In a selfish sort of way I am glad I went to work. Hope all heals fast.

Q
    2000 gsxr 750

Pilot,

Did you "use" your helmet?

Glad you are ok. I can imagine.

Robb
    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

'06 Ducati 749S - Black with White Tail / '04 KTM 950 Adventure

Man that sort of sucks. I mean that you did a great job using your training and skills to absolutely minimize what could have been much worse and of course that you went down.

I'd wanted to go to the Total Control class last week but didn't think I could wrangle the bucks. I'll be saving the pennies though. Sounds like a good class to take.

Thanks again for the ride. It was an excellent day over all.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Newbie...Again!!! Lifetime Supporter ZX Rider's Avatar

Anybody can crash while turning, try doing it while going strait, like me.J/K
    Pilot, I'm glad you are OK. Sunday turned out to be horrible day.
    I wanna thank Pilot, Terra, Rick and Patrick for all your help.
    You guys are great.
    2010 ZX-10R

sorry to hear of your encounter with fixed objects. your training and gear were the key factors in your survival. there are many damaged trees at Deal's Gap. glad that you could drive away from this one.
    --cheers--
    bus_henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

Holy crap. After that narrative, I was picturing a much larger space. Glad you're OK Pilot. Damn.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    I did not have a near miss this past weekend.

Pilot, glad you're OK. I've been on the board for a number of years now and cannot remember a year where there were more crashes. It's been a bad year that way and we all need to keep our awareness up and try to avoid falling down. Riding = good crashing = bad.

s

Quote Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
    WOW ....

another good note is .... Always wear your gear... !!
    10-4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Sounds nervous. Glad you, and the bike, are OK
    I still gotta get the plastic fusser out and start the repair process. I'll let my Zed know that your Zed sends the best. BTW, if you hear some strange noises around your bike tonight pay no attention. Just parts gremlins out looking for plastic. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post
    If it wasn't so hot that day I would've been riding with you guys. WOW... better to read about the wrecks than to see such things. I'm glad to hear that at least you are okay.
    Trust me, I'd rather it not happen to anybody. But, I had to play the hand I was dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    Glad to hear your OK and communicating your experience with others. Definately a good read!

Thanks Dave. I didn't post up right away because I wanted to think about what to say and how to say it. So many of these posts, about "hay rides" turn sour. Also, I've spoken with several people at dealerships and have been hearing that there were quite a few accidents and tickets this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ChefQ View Post
    DAMN!!! Pilot I am glad you are alright. When you PMed me I was thinking how can I get out of the two hours of work I have to go on this ride. In a selfish sort of way I am glad I went to work. Hope all heals fast.

Q
    Q, it would have been good to have you there. Right now, I'd like to crack the kinks out of my neck but I'm afraid if I give it the usual twist my head will pop off.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMotard View Post
    Pilot,

Did you "use" your helmet?

Glad you are ok. I can imagine.

Robb
    No scrapes on the lid. I think I did manage to hit a rock with my shoulder though.

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    Man that sort of sucks. I mean that you did a great job using your training and skills to absolutely minimize what could have been much worse and of course that you went down.

I'd wanted to go to the Total Control class last week but didn't think I could wrangle the bucks. I'll be saving the pennies though. Sounds like a good class to take.

Thanks again for the ride. It was an excellent day over all.

Carl
    BTW, one of the other riders (who has taken TC) commented on how good your body pre-positioning was as you set up your corners. You'll be a natural fit in the course.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX Rider View Post
    Anybody can crash while turning, try doing it while going strait, like me.J/K
    Pilot, I'm glad you are OK. Sunday turned out to be horrible day.
    I wanna thank Pilot, Terra, Rick and Patrick for all your help.
    You guys are great.
    I think that any less of a man would have munched it under that SUV. It looked as if you ripped up asphalt with your hands coming to a stop. S- you've had one hell of an interesting life. Good getting to know you at the DOT yard. And thanks to Patrick for driving up to pick up 10R after AAA dropped the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by towneh View Post
    sorry to hear of your encounter with fixed objects. your training and gear were the key factors in your survival. there are many damaged trees at Deal's Gap. glad that you could drive away from this one.
    --cheers--
    bus_henry
    I think I'll go back and nail up the broken parts of my bike to that aspen, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post
    Holy crap. After that narrative, I was picturing a much larger space. Glad you're OK Pilot. Damn.
    Yep, I covered some ground pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    I did not have a near miss this past weekend.

Pilot, glad you're OK. I've been on the board for a number of years now and cannot remember a year where there were more crashes. It's been a bad year that way and we all need to keep our awareness up and try to avoid falling down. Riding = good crashing = bad.

s
    Absolutely Scott--lots of bungles this weekend. No wonder NHTSA is delving so heavily into safety and training. Companies like T3RG (rider training here in Denver) are making good headway on new programs and getting tons of riders properly trained. I believe last year that they trained over 4,000 students in Colorado. I'd like to thank Colleen, Steve and all their instructors for the important work they do.

Rider Workshop-USA

Member Yearly Supporter SixnChange's Avatar

whow Pilot!! I know that corner cuz I grew up not 30 miles from there--they just repaved it...
    Glad you made it out ok!! helluva story!
    ---------
    '05 R1 in Yamaha Blue
    word

The things that I learned in the Total Control Class and applying them on the street has helped me on several incidents and the one that I remember the most was the that save my life..... I will share it sometime... I wont hijack this thread....

Glad both you and ZX Rider made it through with just minor injuries (yeah - the gear really pays off). Nice riding with people that do what ever they can not to take out another rider.

Got to plug the Total Control class as well (the vision and line selection drills sure helped me with that corner). Hopefully more people will take the class so the Denver area can get the higher level TC classes as well.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    BTW, one of the other riders (who has taken TC) commented on how good your body pre-positioning was as you set up your corners. You'll be a natural fit in the course.
    Well thanks I wish folks would just come on up. I'm not shy and will yak about bikes all day. I'm always looking to improve and anyone who happens to be more experienced and can provide any adjustment advice would be welcome. Sometimes I ask stupid questions (heck, sometimes after asking I whack _myself_ in the back of the head ) but it's because I want to know something and don't have enough knowledge to even ask the right question.

Anyway, it's good that you guys are ok. Gear and training win out every time

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Whew.... good reading.. .... Glad you made it through Pilot
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Glad you're ok, Pilot. My Zed sends her regards.