Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Group Riding Etiquette

1948-2011 - R.I.P. Lifetime Supporter Scruff Dog's Avatar

Re: Group Riding Etiquette

I believe the dangers of group riding simply boil down to the primitive instinct to keep up with the herd. You don't want to fall behind, nor do you want to slow up the riders behind you. It's easy to say "ride your own ride", but that's rarely going to happen when you're caught up in the moment. Throw in a machine that's constantly taunting you to give it it's head, and it's no wonder we read and hear about all of the accidents involved with the group ride.

A possible solution, clearly define the kind of ride your group is going to have. This should be based upon posted speed limits. The group is either going to ride the speed limit, or it's going to exceed it in various increments. Now, at least you know what you're getting yourself into. My two cents.
    2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2001 Corvette Z06

I usually ride the twice the limit in corners rule too, but ever since I wrecked, I can't trust the tires on the street. I have to be on a track to lose the chicken strips.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post

I can recall riding at about the limit of my street comfort level to keep up with Cathy only to noticing she was balancing her checkbook and txt messaging friends on her cell while navigating a decreasing radius turn.
    (Yes she's that quick...and yes, I'm that slow. )
    You forgot about me turning around backwards while in that turn to take your close-up shots...sheesh! Do I need to remind you of everything?!

Ha...j/k.

I keep my hands on my handlebars at all times while riding...oh, wait, um...cept for when I'm relaxing with one hand off...oh, and then there's the shaking of the throttle hand after riding for 100 miles to get the cramping out...oh, and then...

Again...sorta kidding.

But, I do like those curves...most definitely.

I also like the post about communication being key in group rides.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by Scruff Dog View Post
    A possible solution, clearly define the kind of ride your group is going to have. This should be based upon posted speed limits. The group is either going to ride the speed limit, or it's going to exceed it in various increments.
    ...you're one of them, aren't you? No, I'm something else...

It's a trick. Get an axe.
    ~~~ ~~~

"I say let the sky continue to fall on those that expect nothing else, and let the sky continue to be limitless, for those of us who will settle for nothing less." Barn in a sublime moment (well-done!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    +19 to 24

... more than that's just asking for trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Now what?

Whatever you damn well feel like.
    Proud pilot of the one and only 1994 Kaw EX500 "Failstrom" adventure-mo-dealie!

IBA# 20672

WOW...
    Great responses by all!

Even got the canyon -vs- stunters talking with no need to get Scott in here... excellent show!

Speed of a group ride or the pace will always be a question and I see no way of getting around that. I recall my first group ride and went a little faster than I should have but the comment was made to me "if you can keep up" well I did but that is why I remember several of the corners and the sensation in my stomach to this day. As oppossed to my comments of ride your own pace and we will gladly wait at ... I rarely set myself up as the ride leader but have been asked to and will take into consideration who is in the group when I lead.

I am looking for more input on how to handle situations that come up on a ride. Too fast is easy to handle. You go slower than the pack and if they don't want to wait then they are assholes and I wouldn't want to ride with them anyway.

Regarding Conoco departs:
    When it is the usuals on the ride we often skip the talk, we all know where the destination is but don't have an organized leader. More of everyone just saying you go ahead... No you please... no really you lead. Has more to do with not wanting to be the first to get sprayed with the Radar

I will try to consolidate this into some form of single line items but I gotta do some work first to pay for having too much testosterone on Wolf Creek pass.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

We (group of 10) rode Wolf Creek two weeks ago and had soooooo much fun
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Group riding in the canyons is probably one of my favorite activities, and at the same time one of my least-favorite activities.

I remember my first group ride about 2 years ago. It was the newb ride and it was raining. We went up through Golden Gate Canyon and I remember feeling nervous, but at the same time comfortable being at the back of the pack. Got some good advice on my riding (thanks Bob) and all in all had a great time.

Fast forward to the present day. I've been the Sunday ride leader more often than not lately and I feel pretty comfortable up there. I've read "The Pace" several times and that's really how I like to ride. I generally keep my pace at no more than 15 over (Never go faster than you can afford to get a ticket for) and keep the speeds up in the corners. I don't like going 100+ on public streets (oh, I have), it just doesn't have that same thrill for me as when I'm going 50 through a nice corner and getting out toward the edge of the tires. I've had several people thank me post-ride for a good pace.

Some observations/advice from many group rides I've been on:

1) WEAR YOUR GEAR. Not really been an issue in the past, but I have been on rides were some got a little too hot and the removal of gear began. Need to keep it on all the time.

2) RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. This can not be mentioned often enough. Don't get in over your head. I will stop at every turn-off to make sure we have everyone and I will NEVER get irritated that I have to wait for you. I will get really pissed off if I have to go get my truck and trailer to pick up that piece of shit you just wrecked because you wanted to look cool and were in over your head.

3) Use your head. Don't make stupid passes that are completely unnecessary. I've seen people force passes only to continue to be stuck behind traffic. If there's a line of cars don't force it cause it's just not going to get you anywhere.

4) Keep spacing. When you're in the canyons keep a nice gap between you and the guy in front. I'm definitely guilty of this and have almost crashed a couple of times mid-corner when the guy in front had to check-up for one reason or another. You don't want to be the guy who crashes into the back of someone cause you were "drafting".

There's a lot more, but that's all I've got time for. Just remember, it's not a race out there. There's no trophy or trophy-girl waiting for you at the bottom of the canyon, there's only the rest of the group wondering when the hell you're going to quit being a jack-ass.

See ya on Sunday!

--Brian
    Last edited by McVaaahhh; Tue Jul 10th, 2007 at 05:29 PM.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I always leave a HUGE gap between me and the next rider, even when I'm riding with people I trust. If they go down, I have plenty of time to avoid them and usually stop, and if they're going slower in a corner I don't nail them from behind. I see people trying to stick a nose in on the guy in front of them some times... I don't understand it.

It is hard to have riding etiquette in groups larger than 6. I think any more than that, and it is not possible to ride in one group with etiquette without being dangerous or cutting other motorists off while trying to stay in a close group.

I'm a troll. Ignore me.

we should change this thread to : "Group Running Etiquette" aka... run from the popos

should you use the shoulder?
    ---
    [URL="http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=4538"]help us out[/URL]

all posts are made via my beautiful iPhone
    [URL="http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=4538"]

[/URL]