Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Group Riding Etiquette

Group Riding Etiquette

Recent rides have raised questions in my mind, as well as some frustrations. Maybe it's just me... guess we'll find out. This is a good spot to add the cursory advice to read "THE PACE"

I tend to move around in the pack to see what others are doing. I will make these transitions after stops or when safe to do so. I have seen others make very bad passes from 3rd or 4th position to pass those ahead of them and the car holding everyone up. Should the lead riders have moved over to pass aswell it might not have been pretty.

When in traffic on a good road instead of just tailgating I tend to back off quite a ways so that I can at least get a good run through the corners as they come along. I have even had others in the group pass me on my right when doing this, right before the corner then they keep going slow. I will often go to the very back of the pack to do this without concerning others and can still have a good ride even from the back.

Tailgating but not wanting to pass. Back off bitch we are not drafting. If you start out 50 ft off of me and your are still there after the corner then we are going the same speed and should I need to brake hard you will have time to react safely. Otherwise you will be up my ass and neither one of want that.

Riding the same speed in both lanes up Central city parkway. If you move over others could pass if they wanted.

I have a lot more concerns but I have to hit the road. Been wanting to get this going for a while so I thought I would get it started before I head out for the next few days to Pagosa Springs on the Busa

Please add your thoughts or tell me if I am FOS. My goal is not to point out anyone just to start a conversation so we can all have a good time. With all the newer riders out on the rides this should be the place for this I hope. I learned the hard way over time and had a close call on the tailgating. Mark and I still joke about it now but it could have gone very bad.

if you are a newer rider and have a specific question about a situation air it up and maybe we can all learn how to handle it.

Later, Mark

Re: Group Riding Etiquette

I agree. On Sunday's ride I followed a few personal rules (and it's just me; I'm not trying to say anything):

1. Don't pass the ride leader. I never passed Pilot nor would I.

2. Give plenty of opportunity for others to pass before I go. In two places I gave the riders in front of me the chance to go first. When they didn't, I signaled, moved to the far left of the passing lane so if they decided to move over we wouldn't be in danger of crashing and then passed briskly.

3. When I know someone behind me should pass, I move over, slow down, and hand signal to them to pass. I did that to the guy on the orange/black gixxer and one rider moved over to the right and slowed in front of me (I moved over to the center lane but should have actually moved to the passing lane; my fault there).

Normally I'm going on less brisk group rides so this sort of situation doesn't normally come up.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

This is why I generally ride alone or with those I know well.

"Pick up the Pace."

Finding one's own position in the pack can be challenging. Now, when you go out for a ride with the usual suspects you have a good feel for who runs lead and who likes sweep. Usually on smaller groups, three to four bikes, the pace/position is fairly constant.

When it comes to larger groups (like last Sunday's run) the greyhound mentality starts to kick in and the pace becomes a race. When with this type of group I prefer to run at a pretty good clip (it keeps the pack spread out). But, I know a few riders that like to "rabbit" and get out in front once that segment is under way. The hounds then catch a sniff of this action and it is "off to the races". Or, should I say, "HERE COOOOMMMMEESSS RRRUUUSTY!!!"

As for myself, I've found that "chasing" after quicker riders has pushed my skills envelope to higher levels.

When it comes to passing, I prefer to mention it at a break stop so people will keep and eye out for it. Then I like to see that they can notice me in there mirrors before I make a break for it.

When I'm being passed I like to use my left hand to give a little wave to the passing rider. If nothing else I'm acknowledging their actions and they know I"m most likely to stay put.

Corner entry is another issue. If the pack is tight (no time for sightseeing) everyone tends to key on the lead rider going into the turn. Just watch any GP race and you will see them pop up, like popcorn one at a time, as they head into the turn. For myself, I use a late braking. style. This can catch some riders off guard as I come into turns fairly hot and to the outside.

Once I'm at my turn point I'll flop the bike over quickly and get to my maximum lean angle as soon as possible. Now, for riders that don't have this type of style and like to smoothly go around a turn in a wide (see graceful) arc, this can spell trouble as they may need more run out on the exit. If these type of riders are following me and don't know of this quick turn-in technique it can spell trouble for them.

No matter what you do, remember that you must ride your ride and pay attention to what is happening to you first. Then, take a bit of that spare attention and acknowledge the other riders actions. Also, don't be afraid to talk with another rider about each others style. Communication is the key to a safer ride.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I think communication is key. Anyone that opens it up to pass riders ahead, without signaling or following the suggestions above, is a danger.

I was riding once, in a large group in C. Springs. We were all slowing down to enter back into town, and some idiot in the back decides to open it up down the straight-away. This was on two lane road, with oncoming traffic. He blew past us so fast, and so close, I swear I felt his elbow rub mine. My first thought was "asshole squid", which I was right as he got really loose when he tried to slow down.

I also ride near the back. If the pack slows, I slow. I came to enjoy riding with others, not to race them.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

We had a close call on the SoWeCo ride. Open right sweeper with LOTS of sight distance. One rider, who was following a cage, decided to pass. I was positioned about 100 yds. behind and could see the whole scenario unfold. Rider begins to pass car with no clue to oncoming traffic (there was a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction). Fortunately the oncoming vehicle saw the rider and applied enough brake to avoid a collision. The rider had committed to the point of no return (there was NO run off further to the left) and had to brake as well and return to the original position behind the original vehicle.

There were two riders between me and the rider that was attempting to pass and made the error in judgment. Both riders began shaking their heads in unison as the offending rider began his pass. The witness of this incident had no issue with speaking up about the 'momentary laps of reasoning' and basically gave the squidly maneuver a solid .

We all went to breakfast after and discussed some of our group members other riding faux pas. It turned into a learning experience for all those involved.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

A lot of good resources on the web.... this one not exactly sportbikes, but the rules should still apply. http://www.gwta.org/rider_ed/grpridinggd.htm
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

This is a great thread! I usually ride alone or with one other person, and every time I go on a group ride it turns out to be stunt city or a penis contest.

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    As for myself, I've found that "chasing" after quicker riders has pushed my skills envelope to higher levels.
    Just wanted to confirm this. I agree, especially on the track. I find myself being a little more conservative on the track if I'm one of just a few. But add a cart or some other riders, especially if they're faster/better and I'll be pushing my limits.

Also on Sunday's ride, I felt I was doing 7/10 as far as control is concerned. It was all very comfortable and well within my limits. Two items gave me a tiny tiny bit of pause.

1. I mentioned it to you, when you slowed a bit more than I expected as we entered the 25mph corners. I think that was what you were saying above in that you come in fast and then slow and lean way over. It was a bit of a surprise and I slowed down without issue (I also kept a little farther back after that ).

2. A long sweeping corner I was taking at a pretty high rate. I wasn't going too fast or anything but it was a little stomach _whoops_ until I felt under control again.

I look at the video and especially when I passed the radioactive hazard truck on the curve. The video looks especially bad, however I was able to see way around to the far curve so knew no one was coming.

Good info as always though.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Whenever I try and follow a faster rider I end up going across lines or otherwise riding dangerously. I can ride way too fast for the street (read: fast enough I could get a pair of silver braclets) so whenever someone is pushing too hard or making me want to ride too fast I have to make myself slow down and let them go. Speed is for the speedway.

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

Um, save it for the track? Enjoy the scenery? Don't be a retard and let testosterone rule your ride?
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

I always appreciate it when the pace setters (leaders) of a group ride keep it sane, it's not an ego showdown..... take that sh#t to the track. The main thing for everyone should be "ride your own ride".

a lot has to do whether your on the street/freeway or in the canyons.

back home i used to ride in huge ass groups all the time. on the streets if you don't know the people your are riding with, give some extra room. sometimes that doesn't work. usually it's all man for himself. in a perfect world people would all ride stagered. now when i'm rolling deep with my club, usually 65 bikes, we'll ride in 2x2 formation.

the canyons are a different story. it's good to know who the quick ones, the milder, and either slow or beginners are before you take off. so you don't run into the problems of people wanting and having to pass. if i'm stuck behind someone slower on long sweepers, i'll try to hug as much as the double yellow and pass them on the left, and i'll do it quick. if it's more tight, i usually get behind and to the side of them so they can either see me in their review mirrors or hopefully sence there's a bike behind them. if that doesn't work usually a little rev or honk of the horn does the trick.

if i see someone comming up behind me, i'll move to the right and let them go.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    I always appreciate it when the pace setters (leaders) of a group ride keep it sane, it's not an ego showdown..... take that sh#t to the track. The main thing for everyone should be "ride your own ride".
    you're right 100%. but some peoples pace might be sane to them and nutz to others. i used to ride with a group of 3 other guys and we would ride pretty quick, not track quick, canyon quick. but to others we were riding fast and insane.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I'm a troll. Ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post

+1 lol
    ---
    [URL="http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=4538"]help us out[/URL]

all posts are made via my beautiful iPhone
    [URL="http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=4538"]

[/URL]

I'm a troll. Ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by denverbusa View Post
    Recent rides have raised questions in my mind, as well as some frustrations. Maybe it's just me... guess we'll find out. This is a good spot to add the cursory advice to read "THE PACE"

I tend to move around in the pack to see what others are doing. I will make these transitions after stops or when safe to do so. I have seen others make very bad passes from 3rd or 4th position to pass those ahead of them and the car holding everyone up. Should the lead riders have moved over to pass aswell it might not have been pretty.

When in traffic on a good road instead of just tailgating I tend to back off quite a ways so that I can at least get a good run through the corners as they come along. I have even had others in the group pass me on my right when doing this, right before the corner then they keep going slow. I will often go to the very back of the pack to do this without concerning others and can still have a good ride even from the back.

Tailgating but not wanting to pass. Back off bitch we are not drafting. If you start out 50 ft off of me and your are still there after the corner then we are going the same speed and should I need to brake hard you will have time to react safely. Otherwise you will be up my ass and neither one of want that.

Riding the same speed in both lanes up Central city parkway. If you move over others could pass if they wanted.

I have a lot more concerns but I have to hit the road. Been wanting to get this going for a while so I thought I would get it started before I head out for the next few days to Pagosa Springs on the Busa

Please add your thoughts or tell me if I am FOS. My goal is not to point out anyone just to start a conversation so we can all have a good time. With all the newer riders out on the rides this should be the place for this I hope. I learned the hard way over time and had a close call on the tailgating. Mark and I still joke about it now but it could have gone very bad.

if you are a newer rider and have a specific question about a situation air it up and maybe we can all learn how to handle it.

Later, Mark
    I like to ride with the guys that wheelie infront
    ---
    [URL="http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=4538"]help us out[/URL]

all posts are made via my beautiful iPhone
    [URL="http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=4538"]

[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by mushin_man39 View Post
    Don't be a retard and let testosterone rule your ride?
    Suggestion. You could whip 'em out and measure 'em before the ride, then there's nothing to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by uberwench View Post
    Suggestion. You could whip 'em out and measure 'em before the ride, then there's nothing to prove.
    Sheesh! Everyone knows that it is not the size of equipment that you have, but rather the way that you ride it that counts ...!

1948-2011 - R.I.P. Lifetime Supporter Scruff Dog's Avatar

I can honestly say that I have never been on a group ride where I didn't end up riding faster than I normally would riding alone. So why do we do it? I suppose its because of the beer or the lunch at the end of the ride.

For you new riders - its my opinon that the worst thing you can do is to get your feet wet on a group ride. Just get out there on your own and inch your way into riding skills.

I personally, would like to see a separate forum section for people who were dedicated to riding at the speed limit to occasionally 10 over.
    Last edited by Scruff Dog; Sun Jul 8th, 2007 at 05:09 PM.
    2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2001 Corvette Z06

I would be up for that, or at least state the pace of the ride in the post. I can't afford to get another ticket or wreck again.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

It takes a whole lot to get into a group ride where you don't have a clue who the people are you are riding with...gah!

My suggestion would be that if someone does that (um me...last year, first big group ride with the N-C crew...scary), to maybe speak up and ask questions and let everyone know your current skill level. Also, find out who is at what level in the group so that maybe you can pick your position. I got stuck in back of the pack a whole lot last year, but I was quite happy about that. This is something that is not typically done on group rides at the pre-ride meet, even when someone new joins. I think it would be in the interest of all concerned to let the new guy know the various skill levels of all the riders.

One plus about riding in groups is that you tend to improve your skill level, inch by inch...well, that's what I did at least. Sometimes, it's hard to hold back and stay at a certain level, too, which is what got me into trouble last Labor Day. I pushed a tad too hard. But that's not the point. The point is, when in a group, do your best to not let the speed of other riders dictate how you ride. I still ride my own ride, but have improved immensely in my skill in the past year and can say that it is more than likely a result of going on group rides.

Short 'n sweet version?: Talk it up before you ride.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

I usually ride alone as my weekend mornings are taken with family type stuff
    On the rides I have been on, I have started towards the back and slowly work my way through until I find riders who appear more comfortable. The problem with this is that I will not pass anybody I am not familiar with while cornering, you just never know how someone might react to it and I won't put them in that position. Some riders feel the have to haul ass down the straight roads between the corners. My usual solo ride will consist of riding the corners hard, but not hard enough that I need to be grabbing the binders at any point. In the straights, guys on thier bicycles are passing me as I'm not there to surpass my previous lap, just ride a fun ride with the corners.
    One group ride that was particularly enjoyable was where denverbusa (Mark?) ended up leading, a guy on a green 996 chasing him, and I was following a guy on a 675. The pace was pretty quick and the guy (I'm horrible with names) on the 675 was a real smooth rider hardly grabbing the brakes and held real steady cornering speeds. I don't know the roads very well on the P2P ride, so having someone very smooth to follow made it an enjoyable ride.
    B-King- no longer

I would be up for that, or at least state the pace of the ride in the post
    It sux to go on a group ride that doesn't fit your skill level wether it be too fast or too slow... maybe collectively we could come up with some sort of rating system like the Homeland Security Levels... HAHAHAH LOL!!!!

I jacked their chart and made a similar version for "PACE". Now maybe some brief definitions of the categories relating to years of riding expereince, mph over, canyon carving experience........ I'm a photoshop addict and thought this was funny, and then thought this might actually be useful!?!?!?!?!?