Thread: Tires Replacement Time

Tires Replacement Time

I'm still new enough to the area not to know where anything is or to know any of the shops. I'm looking for a tire to replace my stock Dunlop. I don't know what tire to go with at all. I'm looking for some suggestions for a tire that I will ride canyons and hopefully soon some track with. Personal experience is great and ideas of where to look to buy/mount the tire would help out a lot. Thanks.

Re: Tires Replacement Time

Of all the tires I've run, I like the Metzler M1 Sportech and Pirelli Corsa 3 the best. I got decent mileage out of the C3's, and I loved the way they rode.

I just moved back, so I am not current on who's doing tires the best/cheapest these days.. but in 03-04 when I was here last I always went to TFOG to get tires mounted. I usually order mine online, but I'm not sure if the shops around here have competitive prices.

A suggestion: Before you get the tires mounted, check out DynaBeads (http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm). I am running them in the Buell, and I have no complaints at all. Innovative claims the beads will increase your tire life:
    "On average, about 20% - 30% more than under similar circumstances using wheel weights. The primary reason for this is that while most people only balance their tires with conventional weights only once, you are rebalancing your tire and wheel every time you drive."
    I've only had them in for a few hundred miles- I'll have more info about tire life in another couple months.

Merlyn
    Last edited by merlin; Mon Jul 9th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
    - 2006 Buell XB12R Firebolt: Elvira, the Gothic XB

"It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
    It is through beans of java that thoughts acquire speed,
    that hands acquire shakes,
    that shakes become a warning...
    I am... IN CONTROL... OF MY ADDICTION!"

Depending upon your skills and tools...

If you have the ability to pull your tires yourself (front and rear lifts) you can buy anywhere then places have pretty good mounting deals. $10 with CSC discount at faster motorsports (on 8th just west of I-25) They can also take good care of you if you want to just take it there. They are often done very quickly and have a good stock of tires usually. I think I only saves like $10 after buying at performance and having them mount.

If you don't have the tools and just want to drop off you can go to Grand Prix (County line at So. Sante Fe), they give half price (off list) on Dunlops and free mounting when you buy from them. ($300+/- for 190/120)

TFOG gets great reviews here on the board as well for both purchase and service. They are near the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. (6th and Indiana)

TFOG and Faster are both sponsors here so you can find their numbers easy enough to call.

I personally don't recommend the internet for the best deal because you are often getting older tires. Not talking major difference but if they had a born on date Budweiser wouldn't sell it. There are good dealers on the net but they won't be giving you the deal that makes it worth waiting for shipping. Some add shipping costs so watch out for that. That's just my .02.

I have had great success with Dunlop Qualifiers and Michelins Pilot Powers (not 2CTs if you have a high H/P machine). Depending on how hard you ride you most likely wont know the difference except in mileage with any of the tires.

I do not want to misrepresent myself here. With my opinion and two bucks you can get a good cup of coffee! So take it for what it is worth.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I've purchased my tires at Performance on Broadway.. decently priced IMO.. but I've heard you can get good deals on line as well..

I've used Dunlop and currently have Michelin Pilot Powers on my GSXR .. Dunlops lasted me almost twice as long as the Powers .. but it's all in how you want to ride is how you should choose your tire. I'm going to try the Michelin 2CT's this time around..

I know that Dean of Kim-n-Dean mounts tires for something around $25 .. I believe.. so you may want to check with him
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

If your still looking for tires I recommend Affordable Motorcycle Tires @ 40th and Colorado, John sold me my PP and installed for $20. I couldn't be happier.