Thread: What is god's name is a "Yahoo! Slurp Spider"??

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

What is god's name is a "Yahoo! Slurp Spider"??

So I checked out Who's Online, and in addition to the usual array of forum members and the handful of "guests" that we get, I see like 4 pages of "Yahoo! Slurp Spider" and even a "Google Spider".

I sure hope our forum expererience isn't getting proper-fucked by these things!

Ralph? Bob? Judges?
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: What is god's name is a "Yahoo! Slurp Spider"??

It's fine...
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    So I checked out Who's Online, and in addition to the usual array of forum members and the handful of "guests" that we get, I see like 4 pages of "Yahoo! Slurp Spider" and even a "Google Spider".

I sure hope our forum expererience isn't getting proper-fucked by these things!

Ralph? Bob? Judges?

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ighlight=slurp

My understanding is that they crawl through different sites on the web and feed information back to search engines like Yahoo or Google. I also think this site software, vBulletin, has allowed them for awhile, but just had them listed as "anonymous" before as opposed to actually seeing they are some kind of software driven crawler to find stuff to feed to search engines.
    Last edited by *GSXR~SNAIL*; Wed Jul 11th, 2007 at 05:10 PM.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    It's fine...

You just reminded me of the one Iraqi press secretary who used to come on TV all the time and tell us how sweet everything was going for them.

~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

one of the reasons I wouldn't put phone #'s of other personal info on the boards

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Barn, it's nice to think I remind you of Chemical Ali.

"The Americans have not invaded our borders! Their troops are not in control of this forum! Saddam be blessed, he remains in control. Praise be to Allah, do not believe the propaganda."
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I think Chemical Ali was actually a different dude. Either way though... this is your guy.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I've been running a message board for the last 9 years, and we switched to vbulletin about 3 years ago, and this was one of our first problems. Why are there 60 yahoo spiders when there's only 2 or 3 google spiders. Ultimately we decided that yahoo was a waste of traffic, and we blocked yahoo from spidering our message board. It's a simple thing to do, and it has kept the yahoo spider away. Yahoo just seems to have a real problem when spidering vbulletin sites, and can't ever get enough of it.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    .....You just reminded me of the one Iraqi press secretary who used to come on TV all the time and tell us how sweet everything was going for them...

Only Barn could cover Arachnophobia and Iraqnophobia in one thread.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.