Thread: I was the big fish in a small pond...

I was the big fish in a small pond...

I scrapped my knees today, for the first time yesterday.

It was a small, slow track (IMI), but I was getting more aggressive than I thought.

Just before I went out for a session, I stopped to chat with the other guy there with a Triumph (Thruxton). I was running pretty slow I thought learning the curves and finding my lines, when he said, "Wow, you were about an inch from the pavement on one of those last sections." So here I am going out there feeling all empowered and decide to open her up a little bit. OK, so opening her up on a one mile track means like 70 mph maximum speed.

So after a few laps, and feeling pretty good, and of course the Red Bull was giving me some wings, I started winding out second gear. All of a sudden I'm hanging off in in the last turn and I hear and feel this sensation. I think I even said out loud, what the .... My knee gleemed the pavement, and instantly I had to bring notice to this by making the devil horns with the left hand, while I maintained my corner speed with the other. It was probably the most akward knee drag in history, because there was a little show boating the moment I realized I bumped the ground. But I still can't get over the sound, that still echos in my head. Now after I got that out of the way, I forgot about the audience that didn't exist and started to ride that Triple like a molested gorilla. I ended up with some little scuffs in both of the pucks, and the knowledge that I ruled the track that day. I still couldn't pass the shifter karts, but that's another story.

I also got my first dirt bike injury after landing a whoop a little too hard (That DRZ 400 was never meant to go that high, with an unskilled rider). I did a little twist in my ankle. Nothing serious enough to gain any sympathy points, but enough to make me feel like I pushed a few limits on that bike also.

Man how I love doing track days!
    Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time.

Re: I was the big fish in a small pond...

I remember the first time I drug a knee on the track. (at SCR) It was the best thing in the world. Now I do it too much....wastes money quick on the track. Congratulations bro! Welcome to the addiction.

EX-MRA #719

- 502 - RIP Gene, you will always be an inspiration.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstien

That was a very good descrition of what it is like to get your knee down for the 1st time. You'll never forget that sound, it's unique.
    Now get your but down to PMP and ride a real track. Then join the MRA and have some real fun!
    Like Puck said, welcome to the addiction.
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

I'll definitely start heading down to Pueblo. Hopefully by winter I'll have a bike I can dedicate to a track. I'll probably start just hanging out around there to get a feel of what goes on at tracks, who the people are, what I need to have, ...

At this point I feel qualified enough to hold the umbrella, but I'm sure that there's not enough women racers that would appreciate the umbrella guy (who could benefit from some more time at the gym).

And thanks for the welcome!
    Last edited by BlackOakTree; Mon Jul 16th, 2007 at 07:21 AM. Reason: learning to spell
    Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time.

BlackOakTree,
    If you want to hang out with the MRA and make a little cash too, you should come down and Corner Marshal. You can watch all the races just a couple feet from the track. You will get to know the racers and see how they take their lines through a corner. Besides all that the MRA really appreciates the Corner Marshals. Without us there is no racing.

-Doug
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

Awesome man, glad to see you had a great time, now for the addiction haha.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOakTree View Post

At this point I feel qualified enough to hold the umbrella, but I'm sure that there's not enough women racers that would appreciate the umbrella guy (who could benefit from some more time at the gym).

And thanks for the welcome!
    Umbrella Boy resumes, with pics will be considered... although I am still waiting to hear back from Chris Pontius/PArty Boy
    1+ on the corner worker gig, though. We need good people, and you can get a first hand look UP CLOSE...