Thread: Changed my own tire today

Changed my own tire today

Went to Bash's today and changed my first streetbike tire. I recommend that if you have acess to a tire machine, you do it too. The hardest part of the whole ordeal was not scratching the rim.

After the tire change, we changed the oil and filter. Bike maintenance is pretty easy, even when I was doing it in my own garage, but super easy with a lift. We also changed my brake fluid and put in high altitude brake fluid. I originally bought my bike in Phoenix and every since I have brought the bike to Colorado, my brakes have been alittle spongey. Now they are tight and grab really good!!! If you have moved from a lower elevation, I recomend you replace your brake fluid with high altitude stuff.

Re: Changed my own tire today

What brake fluid did you use???

I can't remember the brand, but the bottle was white with a blue mountain on the label.

I would be curious to know what this fluid is as well. I have never heard of anything that is designated as "high altitude" brake fluid, although the different specs of fluid (DOT 3, 4, 5 and 5.1) have different molecular structures and gasification rates so they will inherently act differently at different altitudes.

I hope you didn't put DOT 5 in it, this is silicone based fluid that is not compatible with glycol based (DOT3) or Borate Ester based (DOT 4 and 5.1) fluids, one of which came in your bike from the factory (probably DOT 4). When changing from one to the other the system needs to be disassembled and cleaned, and all rubber seals replaced (because they are saturated with the "other" fluid)
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

Dallas, I changed my own underwear today! Oh, and Bash helped me change my blinker fluid in the race bike last night and only charged me $50.00 for high-altitude blinker fluid!
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

Quote Originally Posted by mushin_man39 View Post
    Dallas, I changed my own underwear today! Oh, and Bash helped me change my blinker fluid in the race bike last night and only charged me $50.00 for high-altitude blinker fluid!
    Now you are just making shit up because:

#1 - Your race bike doesn't have blinkers!

#2 - Bash charges a flat rate of $75 for full blinker fluid replacement!!

#3 - Your bike is in my garage, so you and Bash did a little breaking and entering to perform said acts on your bike!!!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

"Do you.. Mushin Man... accept this decree of shenanigans?"
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

Damnit, busted. But I am gonna add Dallas as a sponsor for welding up the frame on the race bike, for real. I thought my season was over.
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).