Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing-How did you get started?

Racing-How did you get started?

Hi everyone,
    As some of you know there is a loyal group of folks who religiously go to IMI to race around in circles. The natural progression is to move from going in circles for fun to going in circles for little plastic trophies. I'm proud to say that is exactly what I am doing.

That being said, I'm wondering how the rest of you managed to get started racing?

I have an inexpensive motorcycle, trailer, and gear and I'm still not done.
    Did you start with a 10,000 dollar loan and go racing or did someone die and leave you a pile of cash?

So as I said, I've got the bike all race prepped, the helmet, leathers, boots, gloves and I'm still looking at $1000 dollars before my first race.
    Back protector $110
    Tire warmers (used) $225
    Transponder (used) $240
    New set of Bridgestones BT 002 $200 (TFOG!!!!)
    MRA license $100
    AMA license $40
    Race fee for the first race??????

Thanks,
    -Doug
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Racing-How did you get started?

Good luck with your efforts man, that's all I can say. I've never raced, but got lots of racing buddies, and to see and hear what they put into each weekend (not only money), is quite astounding.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by All-Labout-me View Post
    New set of Bridgestones BT 002 $200 (TFOG!!!!)
    For a set? After smoking how much of what? Is that some sort of a special one-time deal, or is that their normal price?

If so, I need to switch back to Bridgestone.

Seems ludicrously low on price. But thats freakin awesome if you can get it.
    Last edited by Jayock; Fri Jul 20th, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

When I started out I was single so I had some decent disposable income. Did minimal prep to the bike (some race glass off EBay... that was about it). Had a good couple of seasons but realized after a while that the expense and the inevitable crashing just wasn't worth it... The competitive aspect of racing didn't equate to fun for me, whereas the no-pressure and friendly aspect of track days did. Moral of the story -- ask yourself why you want to go racing, and determine if that reason is worth the costs and risks...
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

I didn't do the $10k+ startup that a lot of folks do. I got a <$2000 MV legal beater for a bike, a cheap trailer and a good set of custom leathers. No tire warmers, no EZUP, no generator... minimal as hell. Begged/borrowed/(didn't steal though) for shade, etc. on race weekends that first year.

Every year was a bit more stuff - better bike, tire warmers, generator, EZUPs, another newer/better bike, covered trailer, another newer bike, bigger trailer, bigger truck to pull said trailer... you get the idea.

$1000- before you start isn't bad.

The good news is - everything else seems cheap after you start racing.
    ###############

Geoff Snyder
    MRA #76 (formerly #828 )
    Bike: '07 GSX-R1000

Quote Originally Posted by mra828 View Post
    The good news is - everything else seems cheap after you start racing.
    Why? Cause you are pullin in money?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Bullet View Post
    haha because nothing else can piss away money faster than racing!
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

So I just ordered the tires for my GSXR 600 from Jim at TFOG.
    Bridestone BT 002 in a Type 3 120 front 180 rear. $95 front $122 Rear.

Wooo Hooo TIRES!!!

Now I'm almost ready for the Aug 6th bike night at Pueblo or I might try to get down to Pueblo for the practice session on the 10th. I'm not sure if I have to have my MRA license in hand to do that session.

-Doug
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

You have to have an MRA license or have otherwise taken a class with someone at Pueblo before you can go on the track period.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

All over that. I attended the Ricky Orlando school of driving.
    I now know that I'm faster if I don't try to look all cool in the corners while putting my left hand on my hip and hanging my helmet on the helmet lock.
    All I can say is WOW... who knew???

-Doug
    Doug Labout Sr.
    Semper Fi
    MRA Novice #379
    Low Vagueness racing

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"

Quote Originally Posted by All-Labout-me View Post
    So I just ordered the tires for my GSXR 600 from Jim at TFOG.
    Bridestone BT 002 in a Type 3 120 front 180 rear. $95 front $122 Rear
    Like Geoff says, go as cheap as you can at first and borrow stuff off others when you can. Pick up more gear as you go, it's much easier that way then to buy it all at once.

**Edit**
    I'll be damned, just talked to Jim and that is the correct price for Bridgestone type 3's!!! Unfortunately he can't take Bridgie contingency checks (got about $800 of those to spend) and can't do slicks but that is cool for SS classes, endurance or just a little less sticky tire... Thanks for the info on that!!!
    Last edited by Hoopty; Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 at 10:49 PM.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Five years ago I got a serious speeding ticket on HWY 67. The cop who wrote it said: "They make tracks for that kind of stuff". Two weeks later, I was at Second Creek Raceway for my first track day.

I got an old FZR600 and put around $1K into it. Got a less expensive set of leathers, a top of the line helmet, and went with that. When I started it was not unusual to see someone show up with a pickup truck and a friend. No tire warmers, no trailer, no canopy, pump gas. I realized, just like PG Rider, that I preferred track days and hanging out to racing. My problem was (and still is) that I don't really care about fighting for position, and it is a lot of money to spend for something you are not going to really try to win. Especially if you crash.

Now I race supermoto because it is still in the pickup and friend stage, it is cheaper to get into, and a lot cheaper when you crash. So far I have been down 3 times and have yet to replace anything on the bike. I still suck though because I still don't care if I win.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Bullet View Post
    I wish... I never even considered that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lel View Post
    haha because nothing else can piss away money faster than racing!
    That's what I meant.

Skiing? Golf? Scuba? Surf Vacations... all look cheap in comparison.

Bicycle racers crack me up... my wife races mountain bikes, and I constantly hear those people complaining about the cost of racing. It kills me ... a couple Gu packs and a clean razor is all those guys need to buy each weekend.
    ###############

Geoff Snyder
    MRA #76 (formerly #828 )
    Bike: '07 GSX-R1000

Bicycle racers crack me up... my wife races mountain bikes, and I constantly hear those people complaining about the cost of racing. It kills me ... a couple Gu packs and a clean razor is all those guys need to buy each weekend.
    Downhillers need a carton of cigarettes, too, at least.

<threadjack>Geoff! How you been?!! Did Jeanine do Snowmass, and if so, how'd it go? because results STILL aren't posted. PM me!<threadjack>

Racing is quite a bit more expensive than just doing track days. It can be an expensive eight laps. You can defray some of the costs with sponsors, contingency $$, etc (not that *I* would know from first hand experience ) - but having an elderly rich relative that you didn't know about die and leave you cash is a huge help...

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"

Quote Originally Posted by uberwench View Post
    but having an elderly rich relative that you didn't know about die and leave you cash is a huge help...
    Damn I need to find me one of those. Any idea where I could dig one up?
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

It's been said, start cheep, borrow stuff. But do repay the favor!
    The MRA group is a great bunch of people. Ask and you will recieve.
    Have you worked a corner yet for the MRA? I recomend this. You will learn alot! They will buy you lunch and pay you money!
    The way I got started racing was doing 2nd Creek track days untill I got bored with just riding around. The competition part of racing is addictive, and a hell of alot more fun. The streets got, and are still boring.
    Money? Inheritance helps, if you don't have a good paying job. Buy stsuff used. Stuff like tire warmers, generators, tools, etc. can be found in good condition for more than half what it would cost you new.
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

yeah racing is expensive like the dampner I got for my bike and now I'm looking at getting a new bike;-S but don't let that take away from the oppertunity of knowing your the best out there and kicking everyones ass.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik View Post
    yeah racing is expensive like the dampner I got for my bike and now I'm looking at getting a new bike;-S but don't let that take away from the oppertunity of knowing your the best out there and kicking everyones ass.
    Are you drunk or what? You have no fucking idea of what you're talking about,
    Last edited by Bueller; Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik View Post

Duh..........
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Same as most I guess. I did track days on the R1 and picked up a good old R6 for about $2400. Spent a few hundred more for a couple things like a damper and some clean up on the body work. Rattle-canned the sucker and called it good. I picked up things as I went as well. Too much money to buy it all at once. Having friends that support you helps too. I can't thank Brizz enough for the trailer and support he's given this year. My semi-mates that I pit with (Hoopty, Bob, & Joe) are awesome and are always helpful every weekend. Great group of people to be racing with for sure. The MRA is a great thing to be a part of. As far as paying for it, I just save all that I can between races and do what I can come race time. Last race in Hastings I couldn't afford new tires, so I ran take offs (Thanks Mark & Tammy at Vanmar!). They went kinda greasy in the second race of the day,(130 track temp doesn't help) but even though I had to take a little of the pace, I was still racing! I guess that's all that matters to me.

EX-MRA #719

- 502 - RIP Gene, you will always be an inspiration.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstien

ahhhh Good ole IMI.... I also started there.... I remember my 1st time I put my knee down and I was hooked.. I spent a little time at IMI then gave SCR a try around 2002, 2003. After a coouple trips there I noticed I was keeping up wiht some yellow plates that were out there often. Who knows if they were "fast" or not but since they had a plate and I was keeping up, I figured why not give it a shot???? At least I would not come in last right... (Which was my only goal) haha

Took the MRA class (in the pooring rain) Bought a used already race prepped bike, Harbor Freight trailer, Cheep little generator, Tyre Sox warmers, and a cheep Teknic suit, and gear... Only thing of great value I bought right off the bat was a good helmet and bike. Granted it was barely used but it was far cheeper to buy an already race prepped bike then to build one and there is nothing that will cost you more than fixing probs on race day cause of somthing that went to hell. (Not that that cant happen anytime though... ) It goes with out saying on a good helmet..... cause you will crash at one time or another... We all do and its a part of racing.... Protect the noggin)

As far as budget.... Well Im well sponsored by Visa. For some reason they love to sponsor me and I never have to send them my race resume. The bill can be as heavy or light as you are willing but will never be cheap. Depending on how many races you run in a weekend, its roughly 185-205 or more to register for races and Sat practice. , plus fuel.... You can run pump and get away with 10 gal for a race weekend.... or you can pay 11, 14, 24 +bucks a gal for any type of race fuel you want. Dont forget fuel for the generator.....
    Next stop...tires.. this will by far be the largest part of your budget... at least it is for me. I run 1 set of new tires each Sunday. Depending on a sponsor or price you find... This can be a wide range of price up to near 400 a set..... Some guys run more than 1 set in a weekend or find that 1 brand doesnt work well on a certain day.. (Thats a different topic)

My 1st year I spent including bike ~12K. (I ran 6 races of 10) This year I decided I buy a new bike and build it ground up. Ground up was far more than 12K for JUST the bike..... so I guess you can see the value of buying a bike already done. Since you have one already you are a head of the game.

Some other misc expenses are oil (You are gonna want to change often, racing is far worse on oil than the occasional track day) Brake pads... Yes racing goes through those much faster as well. Some folks run 2 sets in a season.. some run a new set every Sunday race day... Thats all you..... Lastly there is your travel budget... Since most races are at least Pueblo or farther, travel costs can ad up to. If you have a way to stay at the track it will save you lots of dough in hotel fees. If not Super 8 it all the way. Also you may even be able to find other riders with space in their trailer that will happily let you ride with them and spit the gas bill. I cant tell you how splitting a ride to Hastings, NB 3 ways will save you moola......

Anyway, best of luck should you give it a go... I know if you do, there will be no end to the amount of money you are willing to spend. My 1st race ever was PPIR where I took 25th ...... and was hooked. Even in the back it was more fun than I had ever had and I couldnt wait to do it again.......
    Last edited by BlueDevil; Mon Jul 23rd, 2007 at 07:17 AM.
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

..The good news is - everything else seems cheap after you start racing.
    Old saying:
    You can become a millionare in racing....... if you start with 3 million.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Ive always heard it:

"Do you know what the fastest way to make a million dollars racing?.... start with two."

But so, so true.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock