Thread: Wire for bolts?

Wire for bolts?

Ok I removed the bolts and such on the SV prior to giving them to Dave. While I don't necessarily _need_ to rewire the bolts, I'd like to maintain the bike in the proper condition in the event of a real event (not that I'm contemplating that )

Anyway, I checked Home Depot and Hobby Lobby and neither have the thin wire that was used on the SV. Is there a better place I should be looking to run this wire down?

I planned on checking out Checkers since it's close by and then Lowes. But I didn't want to just run around town looking for wire. Besides wasting gas, I'd rather be on the track

Thanks.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Wire for bolts?

All the race shops have it. faster/tfog etc. If you just need a chunk for now you can use some of mine.

s

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    All the race shops have it. faster/tfog etc. If you just need a chunk for now you can use some of mine.

s
    Ok thanks. I'll probably just run down tomorrow to pick up a bit (if it's $100 for a 1,000 foot spool then I'll probably take you up on your offer; otherwise ). I was checking out the list of stuff to take to track day next week (woo hoo!) and am trying to be complete.

Thanks.

Carl

they are about $25 bucks for a 1lb can... and that will last you until the end of time lol
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

The best place I have found for general hardware is ACE (A&A Trading post) they seem to have most things that the big box (Lowes, HD) stores don't
    13 BMW F800GS, 01 Suzuki DRZ 400S
    "It's not about the destination. It's about the ride"
    www.colorado2wheels.com

Quote Originally Posted by gregs04wrx View Post
    The best place I have found for general hardware is ACE (A&A Trading post) they seem to have most things that the big box (Lowes, HD) stores don't
    Well the one up in Lafayette had _places_ for the wire but they only had a single spool of 24 gauge wire left. I grabbed it and it seems to be sufficient to wire up the couple of bolts that I'd snipped.

Is there some sort of requirement as to the wire gauge and type that has to be used?

Thanks again.

Carl

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    Well the one up in Lafayette had _places_ for the wire but they only had a single spool of 24 gauge wire left. I grabbed it and it seems to be sufficient to wire up the couple of bolts that I'd snipped.

Is there some sort of requirement as to the wire gauge and type that has to be used?

Thanks again.

Carl
    Yes...but unless you're getting ready to mount a serious racing effort you probably don't need to be concerned with it. FYI here is the spec from the MRA rulebook. You can find the whole rule book here:

http://www.mra-racing.org/PDF/2007_MRARulebook.pdf

MRA specifies .032" diameter wire twisted at 8-12 twists per inch. You should always wire the bolts so that the wire is putting tension on the bolt in a tightening direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    Yes...but unless you're getting ready to mount a serious racing effort you probably don't need to be concerned with it. FYI here is the spec from the MRA rulebook. You can find the whole rule book here:

http://www.mra-racing.org/PDF/2007_MRARulebook.pdf

MRA specifies .032" diameter wire twisted at 8-12 twists per inch. You should always wire the bolts so that the wire is putting tension on the bolt in a tightening direction.
    Thanks for the info, good stuff. I'm not mounting a serious racing effort. Just being a poser

Carl

You can also get it from aircraft supply stores. We have to saftey everything on our jets. a can of .032 runs about $10. I can bring a few cans down to PMP and a set of pliars (if you have never seen a set of pliars for saftey wiring you will wounder why you always spun your needle nose!) if anyone needs. Also, I can bulk buy for CHEAP if anyone wants to go in on a few cans.
    05 Yamaha FZ6

Quote Originally Posted by Wahh12 View Post
    You can also get it from aircraft supply stores. We have to saftey everything on our jets. a can of .032 runs about $10. I can bring a few cans down to PMP and a set of pliars (if you have never seen a set of pliars for saftey wiring you will wounder why you always spun your needle nose!) if anyone needs. Also, I can bulk buy for CHEAP if anyone wants to go in on a few cans.
    I need a new one!
    Wire can that is.
    Last edited by Bueller; Mon Jul 23rd, 2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: clarification

Something like this?

Carl

those are them. don't both with the mannual return they are more hassle then anything else. The automatic return is the way to go. You pinch the wire and lock the pliars then just pull out that top handle and it spins the pliars. Makes life MUCH easier!! I can get the pliars at a discount rate as well if anyone in interested. I'll check today on pricing for the pliars and wire.
    05 Yamaha FZ6

Ok kids, so a 1 Lb can will run $7.76 and a 5 Lb is $32.78 as far as the pliars go it's $50.70 for a manual return and $54.60 for automatic. I could possibly get them a little cheaper if we get a few orders.
    05 Yamaha FZ6

Thats a hell of a price on the wire...

The pliers run about $25 bucks through faster.

lel
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

You can get cheaper pliars if you wanted. They start in that same price range, but wear out quickly and are REALLY stiff. I went through a few pairs on the cheap guys before i learned that lesson.
    05 Yamaha FZ6

Oh, and everything is tax free since I buy on a business account
    05 Yamaha FZ6