Thread: Oh deer!

Oh deer!

Heading west bound on Pleasant Park Rd near Conifer I had a deer run out of the weeds on me. He was a young buck with fresh velvet on his 4 points. I managed to nudge the right grip and swing the bike around him as he tried to scramble to a stop. Oncoming traffic, two trucks and a car nearly collided as they slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting him. That was as close (see inches) as I've come to hitting a deer. Rick, 98rc54, was following me and said he wished he would have had that one on tape~ car tires squealing, deer hooves scraping and dust flying everywhere as I just floated on by.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: Oh deer!

Pilot, you're just a magnet for bad things to happen bro.

Glad it was just a close call.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

the deer are out in force lately...I hit one (kinda similar?) a month or so back, found a few tufts of fur stuck under fairing bolt and touched it with my hand as I slid past.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Hey all. New member here. I have been lurking a while, but it's time I start posting, I think.

I ride to work every day past Red Rocks and I'm always afraid of a deer jumping out of those trees.

Now that the deer are in velvet, the boys are out and moving into new territory. You might have notices that you see more bucks these days than you do does. As we move closer to fall, you'll start to see them more frequently during the day (as opposed to dawn and dusk) when they're out looking for the ladies. The rut for Deer isn't in full effect until November, so it's only going to be worse for the rest of the summer.

Anyway, glad to be here... I'm looking forward to some of the group rides. I guess I'll do a real introduction on the "New Members" thread one of these days.

That's crazy pilot and beotch yours is even crazier. I once made contact with a deer while riding my mountain bike! Then tonight one jumped right up onto the street in front of me. Good thing I don't have more than a drink when I ride the bike!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

One of my two deer stories:

I sliced a deer in half on McClure Pass once. Got a ticket too.

For leaving 500' of skid marks
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Glad to hear you are out on the streets again, Pilot!
    I've never been that close to a deer on a motorcycle, but I, too have been within 5' on the mountain bike, where there was definately less than 500' of skid marks...

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Pilot, you're just a magnet for bad things to happen bro.

Glad it was just a close call.
    Now saying stuff like that is just going to scare the wee folk, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch View Post
    the deer are out in force lately...I hit one (kinda similar?) a month or so back, found a few tufts of fur stuck under fairing bolt and touched it with my hand as I slid past.
    On a different subject: Thought I saw you at the bowling alley last night. Turned out to be your twin.

Quote Originally Posted by arcatacat View Post
    Hey all. New member here. I have been lurking a while, but it's time I start posting, I think.

I ride to work every day past Red Rocks and I'm always afraid of a deer jumping out of those trees.

Now that the deer are in velvet, the boys are out and moving into new territory. You might have notices that you see more bucks these days than you do does. As we move closer to fall, you'll start to see them more frequently during the day (as opposed to dawn and dusk) when they're out looking for the ladies. The rut for Deer isn't in full effect until November, so it's only going to be worse for the rest of the summer.

Anyway, glad to be here... I'm looking forward to some of the group rides. I guess I'll do a real introduction on the "New Members" thread one of these days.

Good post up.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    That's crazy pilot and beotch yours is even crazier. I once made contact with a deer while riding my mountain bike! Then tonight one jumped right up onto the street in front of me. Good thing I don't have more than a drink when I ride the bike!
    Yes, how would you control throttle with a drink in each hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    One of my two deer stories:

I sliced a deer in half on McClure Pass once. Got a ticket too.

For leaving 500' of skid marks
    Your shorts are big enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by yueh View Post
    Glad to hear you are out on the streets again, Pilot!
    I've never been that close to a deer on a motorcycle, but I, too have been within 5' on the mountain bike, where there was definately less than 500' of skid marks...
    That's because your shorts ain't as big as Jeff's.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    <snip>
    Your shorts are big enough for that.<snip>
    Back in 1984, when this incident occurred, my shorts were a whole lot smaller
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Back in 1984, when this incident occurred, my shorts were a whole lot smaller
    that was before Enzyte.

Rider Workshop-USA

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    that was before Enzyte.

Bingo.

thankfully you didn't hit it or it would have caused some major damage.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

thinking about mounting these to the front

Rider Workshop-USA

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Man Pilot, sorry to hear about all the excitement you've had lately brotha! Glad you're ok. I'm not so worried about deer, it's the brain-dead cell-phoners I'm more concerned with!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

hey close call man glade to hear that u didnt hit it and that u r ok that would of been crazy to see if u did get it on video

ja - I split a group of 4 deer on 7 coming down toward Lyons a couple 'o summers ago - was in the middle of a curve - couldn't really do much so I held my line - and went right between 2 of them on the road. I rolled off the throttle - came to a stop and tried to stop shaking.

yeah.... I hit one a few weeks ago going over squaw. I came around a corner at a pretty good clip when he just came out from behind some trees and I clipped him with my right hand. Always wondered what I would do if that happened and I guess I found out.... glanced at him, kept on the gas, tried to swerve (I think) and just strait hit him.

I was lucky enough that he turned back a little so that I just hit him right in the head with my right clip on, but it was hard enough to bend the brake lever further down than my fingers could reach so I guess it locked the front for a moment and then he got spun enough to hit the rear of the bike as I started to fishtail pretty bad. With eyes up the whole time I managed to just keep on riding.

Saw him in the mirrors spinning in the road behind me and as I kept on riding trying to figure out if my hand was broken I started to feel bad for him so I turned back around to see if he was still alive . Came up on a dazed deer that finally got up and ran off after about three or four attempts. Got home and the wife looked at me crazy and asked what had happened. I asked why she wondered and she pointed at my coat with blood all over it. I was lucky.
    [B]'03 749s #639 [/B

Nice job with the avoidance maneuver Pilot, a definite "glide" through the surrounding chaos. Would have made a cool video. The guy in the pickup looked like he was about to vapor lock - bambi probably did.

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

Yeah! What 98rc46 said! You shoulda took a picture with one hand as you cruised through the confusion!
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

Quote Originally Posted by mushin_man39 View Post
    Yeah! What 98rc46 said! You shoulda took a picture with one hand as you cruised through the confusion!
    I would have but I was busy making a dry martini at the time.

Rider Workshop-USA