Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you explain this to me?

Can you explain this to me?

Why on earth are people covering their motorcycles with fur?? Is this the new squidly thing? I didn't get the memo...

It's not just this pic, I've actually seen this crap in person

Got me bro...

I think it loos a little lame to me...even worse than the latest paint job on mine.

This is not new. There was a guy at Grand prix Motorsports that did this to his bike a couple years ago. I think it looks stupid. Got to be a bitch to get the bugs off
    '02 GSXR1000

Been seein it for years now.

Probably follows the same mentality of whoever called the shop off Alameda, "Bling Bling Custom Wheels".

Like others said, this has been going on for years. My understanding (which is pretty poor) is that stunt people "fur out" their bikes to avoid having to replace the expensive stock body work that gets beat up as they are learning (or failing to learn ) the stunts. I guess a few yards of leopard print carpet is cheaper than all new body work. Next thing you know - - posers figure if they "fur out", then they can stunt in their minds. (BTW - Don't misunderstand me - I treat stunters with such disregard because I can't do a wheelie myself and it threatens my manhood).

Another competing theory is that these bikes have been stolen from the African plains and that they are used in their native habitat to stalk the ever elusive Honda Cheetah (I thought it was funny).

I think as a homework problem, someone in the club should watch all the pop culture dealing with furred out bikes: Torque, Biker Boyz, Barb Wire, etc and post a definitive answer to this sticky issue.

3 possible reasons:

(1) Taste (lack thereof). Also responsible for velvet Jesus paintings in living rooms, leopard-skin car seat covers in green DeVille's, etc.

(2) It's cheaper than custom paint.

(3) We're forgetting that instead of being a too-cool-for-school squid who for some unexplicable reason just furred a perfectly good sportbike, he could very well be a naturalist, like Jane Goodall and her gorillas, who has just camoflauged his vehicle for immersion in the African plains for a summer of living amongst the infamous torchjob cheetah packs.

Hope that helps,

-R
    '06 GSX-R 1000
    We have here a message from the National Pancake Institute: F--k Waffles
    "Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English & bad English." -- Korben Dallas

Dang it!

I was going to do that to the 750 and now I see that it's already been done. I'll just have to keep thinking.

Has anyone done Plaid vinyl graphics or astroturf yet??

And no, my bike can't get any uglier already.

R1ch
    I think it just keeps his baby warm
    If you stunt all the time, it is probably cheaper than a paint job and replacing all that plastic. You have your girlfriend sew a patch when you go down. Or if you have no girlfriend you glue it on

It's definitely a stunter thing. The first time I saw fur (insert your favorite joke or insult here), was in Texas about 3 years ago. A buddy of mine has a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership, and 3 guys came in on bikes, with a 4th in a truck, and they bought 3 new gixxer 750s. All three had furred out their bikes. I had no clue. My buddy explained to me that stunters use obnoxious looking fur on their bikes to help protect/ hide scratches from when they drop their bikes.

I have not seen fur on bikes up here yet, but I am sure it's just a matter of time. Check ebay, there are always fur fairings for sale!

--Scott
    'Punkin'
    * I don't have a fancy signature *

Senior Member Yearly Supporter green_zx7r's Avatar
    Why is the fur man pointing at me? He's making me nervous.
    Yusuke (U-skay)
    2002 WSBK Eric Bostrom Monza Wild Card Replica ZX-7R
    2006 Track prepped ZX-6R

Always and forever will be a Kawasaki rider.

HE wants to make wild manlove to you

yep a guy i rode with back home and wrecked a bunch. just furred it so he didn't have to buy new fairings

black and chrome 2006 cbr 1000 rr
    black and chrome 05 toyota tacoma
    csc representing

If you're gonna do the fur thing, why not use a moose hide and replace your mirrors w/ antlers.

That would be cool... Right?
    Ben
    '01 ZX6R

"If you're lost, drive faster. You'll be lost for less time."

All in all I think its a stunter thing and a matter of personal taste I mean if you were a pimp that would be cool what I do find rather funny though is the occassional argument that furring it doesnt do anything to help performance and thats what sports bikes are for....from a guy with a polished frame and rims and all the other bling bling you can do to a bike of course I would never fur a bike but my fzr is getting blue velvet
    If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

R1ch
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeon2
    I do find rather funny though is the occassional argument that furring it doesnt do anything to help performance and thats what sports bikes are for
    But it does! It allow for the coefficient of refractal and deflectional differental of the aerodynamic friction to deficate over a longitual angle in conjuction with the molecular cohesion to the fir strands which allows for better stoppy stability as well as better gas milage. As long as you comb it to get the bugs out every once in a while

R1ch
    Quote Originally Posted by 600RR
    HE wants to make wild manlove to you
    I am sure the fur makes it more comfortable for non stunt activities as well.

the way i see it is that it is their bike and they can do what ever they want to do to it. i have seen some wierd ass stuff in pictures espically in regards to the sturgis rally. if i want to put four legs, tail, and a stuffed horses head (not real of cource) on my bike i will and would not care what anyone says because it is my bike and i did what i wanted to do to it.
    R.I.P. mom i will always love you

R1ch
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy
    the way i see it is that it is their bike and they can do what ever they want to do to it. i have seen some wierd ass stuff in pictures espically in regards to the sturgis rally. if i want to put four legs, tail, and a stuffed horses head (not real of cource) on my bike i will and would not care what anyone says because it is my bike and i did what i wanted to do to it.
    Ain't that America? I agree. I personally could not see my R1 in leopard skin but I am a little conservitive. I seen a guy the other day that had bull horns on his helmet. It make you kind of wonder, what kind of statement he is making though

Man, colorado really is in the dark ages. Either that was a joke to ask as question why or someone REALLY doesn't/didn't know. Fur does make a whole lot more sense for stunters than buying new plastic or painting it over, and over, and over, and over again. What's stupid is the stunter who buys new plastics every few months because he/she crashes it.

Quote Originally Posted by KooLaid
    Man, colorado really is in the dark ages. Either that was a joke to ask as question why or someone REALLY doesn't/didn't know.
    Yes, I knew the reasons why. That being said, you must keep in mind that I don't personally hang out in stunting circles and as such am not as familiar with the customs of that particular species of rider.

If I woke up tomorrow with the idea that I was going to devote my bike to stunting to such a degree where I had to cover my bike with fur, I would just go buy a crash cage and keep my dignity intact.

Knee2Ground Racing

Dan

'00 R1

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker
    This is not new. There was a guy at Grand prix Motorsports that did this to his bike a couple years ago. I think it looks stupid. Got to be a bitch to get the bugs off
    So, do they make scotchgaurd for something like that?
    -Charlotte
    -Charlotte: The insomniac spider. (It's a new species, don't ya know)!

[strike:784c95afda]Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.[/strike:784c95afda]

Quote Originally Posted by KooLaid
    ...... Fur does make a whole lot more sense for stunters than buying new plastic or painting it over, and over, and over, and over again. What's stupid is the stunter who buys new plastics every few months because he/she crashes it.
    Isn't this where the original idea for the "Streetfighter" came from? (i.e. the unfaired sportbike....)