Thread: Best dyno tuning in state?

Best dyno tuning in state?

I did some mods to my bike a while back, TFOG did the installation and faster did the tuning. Ultimately they both did a fine job because the thing hasn't blown itself up after over 4000 miles -which I half expected to happen-, but the torque curve on the thing is ridiculous its almost a straight line up from 5K to 6K followed by an immediate fall resulting in a large "spike" right at 6K rpms, it also runs very poorly below 2K rpms (it won't idle without constant attention and compensation with the throttle).

I don't think peak power is down much... but then I'm not totally sure there. At any rate I've been told by a few people they've never seen a torque curve like mine and I think I should get a bit of "fine tuning" done - not necessarily for more power because I need to maintain a safe a/f ratio (very rich) but for a less "spiky" delivery and better low end.

Any recommendations? I am unaware of any shops besides harley in the springs with dyno tuning capability are there any with lots of experience?
    00' Hayabusa

This is how Da South Side does Tounge Piercing.

Re: Best dyno tuning in state?

Talk to Frank at SR Tuning he is the man

i think his # is 573-4443

I'm sure if that is wrong someone will be along shortly to correct me

Most people swear by him but i am sure in the post after mine they will be more specific with what he can do.
    One time I got stopped for speeding on the Colordo Utah boarder
    and after a discussion with the Officer about Bannana's, pockets and glad tidings to all he let me off with a warning
    and a farewell of "I am always on this strech of highway and I will be watching for you."
    My response "I feel so much better knowing that you Officer Pennywise will be looking out for me."
    WAIT WHAT??!!!!!

Frank did great work for me as well. http://www.sr-tuning.us/

(719) 573-4443 or Cell (719) 351-6581 Email: sr-tuning@comcast.net
    Just a few of our business partners
    Last edited by Dave; Tue Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:25 PM.

a specific position or point in physical space

+1 for Frank @ SR-Tuning
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    I did some mods to my bike a while back, TFOG did the installation and faster did the tuning. Ultimately they both did a fine job because the thing hasn't blown itself up after over 4000 miles -which I half expected to happen-, but the torque curve on the thing is ridiculous its almost a straight line up from 5K to 6K followed by an immediate fall resulting in a large "spike" right at 6K rpms, it also runs very poorly below 2K rpms (it won't idle without constant attention and compensation with the throttle).

I don't think peak power is down much... but then I'm not totally sure there. At any rate I've been told by a few people they've never seen a torque curve like mine and I think I should get a bit of "fine tuning" done - not necessarily for more power because I need to maintain a safe a/f ratio (very rich) but for a less "spiky" delivery and better low end.

Any recommendations? I am unaware of any shops besides harley in the springs with dyno tuning capability are there any with lots of experience?

Ok so is this sarcasm or or some sort of back handed compliment?

I am curious what kind of mods you did. When were the mods done and when was the tuning done? Did you have this "spike" immediately after the mods or tuning? how long after the mods was the dyno done, and by who, and several more questions after those are answered. I have a lot of respect for both of those outfits so I am curious what is going on.

I am also a busa owner so the mods that could cause this kind of reaction has my curiosity piqued. Since you half expected it to blow up, it certainly sounds like much more than exhaust, PC, airbox and gearing.

Do tell details

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

T. I've been trying to call your dad back. Tell him to relax and I have it covered.
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

Since we are talking about tuners...

THREADJACK!

Anyone know of a really good race-oriented two-stroke tuner/machine shop?

Got an RZ350 motor sitting here needs some attention...

Merlyn
    - 2006 Buell XB12R Firebolt: Elvira, the Gothic XB

"It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
    It is through beans of java that thoughts acquire speed,
    that hands acquire shakes,
    that shakes become a warning...
    I am... IN CONTROL... OF MY ADDICTION!"

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

Guessing carb work. Seriously, hit Jackal.
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

Quote Originally Posted by denverbusa View Post
    Ok so is this sarcasm or or some sort of back handed compliment?
    Huh? Neither. TFOG did fine with the installation, it was a pro job. The tuning faster did leaves something to be desired but it hasn't blown it self up so I am happy, but now I want to get it fine tuned a bit.

I am curious what kind of mods you did. When were the mods done and when was the tuning done? Did you have this "spike" immediately after the mods or tuning? how long after the mods was the dyno done, and by who, and several more questions after those are answered. I have a lot of respect for both of those outfits so I am curious what is going on.
    This is not a problem that has developed over time, it has been like this since I got it back. Inspection of the dynograph by people who know produced comments like "I've never seen a torque curve like that"

The "spike" I am referring occurs at 6K rpms. Look -> (notice peak torque is at 6K rpms)

*my bike is the red lines, blue lines are a busa with pipe/PC

It is supposed to look more like this -> notice peak torque is about 8K rpms

(don't pay too much attention to peak power as it is a different brand dyno that reads higher but look at how the torque curves differ)

I am also a busa owner so the mods that could cause this kind of reaction has my curiosity piqued. Since you half expected it to blow up, it certainly sounds like much more than exhaust, PC, airbox and gearing.

Do tell details
    Yes, it is a RCC stage 1 turbo, pushing 8lbs of boost. The engine compression was lowered via a base spacer and it has alcohol injection. Now, obviously with these mods it is never going to be silky smooth but there are some pretty big discrepancies between those 2 graphs and I believe it could use some work.

Also, power from idle to 3K is very bad to the point where the bike can be difficult to ride in slow areas (not that I care about low end too much but its pretty bad).
    Last edited by Jackal; Wed Jul 25th, 2007 at 01:41 AM.
    00' Hayabusa

HMMMMMMMM

Playing a little word game this morning Jackel

If I remember right their is a new Motorcycle shop in town the word on the street is they cater to the shell and stunter (no offense to the stunter) crowd and I seem to remember that the shops name is ......

JACKEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could have at least posted under a different name +1 for originality

Not saying much about your skills if you can't fix it!!!!!!!!!!
    and after a discussion with the Officer about Bannana's, pockets and glad tidings to all he let me off with a warning
    and a farewell of "I am always on this strech of highway and I will be watching for you."
    My response "I feel so much better knowing that you Officer Pennywise will be looking out for me."
    WAIT WHAT??!!!!!

I don't think it's the same people....The shop Jackel Motorsports won't tune turbo's with a power commander.

If you want, bring the bike back by faster, and we will remap it for free if you having an issue.

Now that we merged w/ TK we also have a Dynojet dyno we can tune on as well to give a more 'socially accepted' hp number. The factory pro dyno shows that 'spike' because the weight of the dyno wheel is 150 lbs vs on a dynojet 900lb... so the spike is shown... w/o changing anything and putting it on the dynojet, it would look like the one you posted up. But again if your having problems in the bottom i am more than willing to check/redo the map for you anytime.

Where did that 254 hp dynojet equiv come from written on that print out? The print out should already be the 'dynojet' number or close to it per what prints out.

jason
    Last edited by Lel; Wed Jul 25th, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Lel,
    Maybe since it was on a Eddy Current Dyno
    somebody wrote that # down cuz this dyno reads
    low compared to the Dynojet Dyno.That is the only sense
    I can make of it.As far as the graph it looks not right.Something is askew.
    Jackel, why did you leave with it not right?Faster is stand up
    people.Why post up 6 months later?????????????????
    Weird

Later
    Bash
    Last edited by Bashed; Wed Jul 25th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by 636Chick View Post
    HMMMMMMMM

Playing a little word game this morning Jackel

If I remember right their is a new Motorcycle shop in town the word on the street is they cater to the shell and stunter (no offense to the stunter) crowd and I seem to remember that the shops name is ......

JACKEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could have at least posted under a different name +1 for originality

Not saying much about your skills if you can't fix it!!!!!!!!!!
    This is who you are thinking of...... http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=2598

Open mouth... insert.... well... whatever is lying around.... lol

PS: i dont really see any stunter/shell types there when ive been there.... usually 1/4 track guys, and fwiw treacy is a pretty decent guy
    Last edited by PhL0aTeR; Wed Jul 25th, 2007 at 06:58 PM.

06 DR650SE

If that is true then I stand corrected and I am sorry for the mistake

I will try and find something to insert into my mouth

Jackel...........The Jackel whats a little preposition between friends I was close dam it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry
    WAIT WHAT??!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 636Chick View Post
    I will try and find something to insert into my mouth
    Well that shouldnt be too "hard".....

06 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Lel,
    Maybe since it was on a Eddy Current Dyno
    somebody wrote that # down cuz this dyno reads
    low compared to the Dynojet Dyno.That is the only sense
    I can make of it.As far as the graph it looks not right.Something is askew.
    Jackel, why did you leave with it not right?Faster is stand up
    people.Why post up 6 months later?????????????????
    Weird

Later
    Bash
    Both the Factory Pro and the Dynojet dynos are eddy current dynos. You are thinking of an 'inertia dyno'... those do read different then a factory pro or dynojet dyno.

Factory pro dynos will tend to read higher on 600's in a sorta 'dynojet mode' which is what is above... and read the same on bigger bikes. This is because of the same reason that the graph looks off.

The factory pro wheel is 150lbs (so in essence more sensitive to changes) compared to a dynojet wheel which is 900lbs and the turbo is creating a lot of force quickly... so it spins that wheel up quite fast causing the spike in the torque curve. Without getting super technical, torque is work over time, and that work, either spinning a 900lb wheel or a 150lb wheel should be the same amount of energy exerted and give the same torque number, but when a bike puts that much power down that quickly... the brake in the dyno just doesnt keep up sometimes and a 'spike' shows up. Though when the computer gets done doing the calculations, it knows how many times it spun and does the figure for torque, work, hp etc it comes out to be the same peak numbers.

It is a correct curve on that dyno... if ran on the dynojet it would look like the second picture. Its comparing apples to pears still both fruits but one is slighty different then the other.

lel
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

I don't think it's the same people....The shop Jackel Motorsports won't tune turbo's with a power commander.
    Yea just to clear this up, I work at Jackel Motorsports and user name "Jackal" is not associated with us in any way.

On another note we specialize in high performance sport bikes and we love doing custom turbo, nitrous, supercharger tunes. We also will not let a bike leave our shop untill it is tuned right.

Something feels funny on this post.... all this Jackal vs Jackel stuff....

Anyway Faster did my map and I had a common prob with idle on an 06 R6.. They made a minor correction the lower RPM's under 3K and I was on my way in minutes.....

I could not be happier with the map and the ability to fix my problem in minutes... Hell I hardly had time to harrass Jason and I was ready to roll......
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post

Anyway Faster did my map and I had a common prob with idle on an 06 R6.. They made a minor correction the lower RPM's under 3K and I was on my way in minutes.....

I could not be happier with the map and the ability to fix my problem in minutes... Hell I hardly had time to harrass Jason and I was ready to roll......
    So he obviously didn't tell you about the $50 I paid him to cut back your HP a bit??
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

Its as simple as we are not associated with each other at all. Oh and 636chic we are going on 3 years of awesome business