View Poll Results: Toughest turn at Pueblo?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn 1: right hander, decreasing Radius

1 4.76%
  • Turn 2: to the left and slight downhill

0 0%
  • Turn 3:, down, left and up

1 4.76%
  • Turn 4: to the right and over the hill

2 9.52%
  • Turn 5: compression to the right

1 4.76%
  • turn 6: A and B to the right and right again

1 4.76%
  • Turn 7: a leftee ==the button hook with a patch

9 42.86%
  • Turn 8: right and xclr8 out

1 4.76%
  • Turn 9: Sharp to the right at the gates

0 0%
  • Turn 10: Back on to the front staight over the drags

5 23.81%

Thread: What was the most challenging turn for you at Pueblo?

What was the most challenging turn for you at Pueblo?

and why? Did you improve over time or want some more of it to get it right?

Last edited by pilot; Mon Jul 30th, 2007 at 02:00 PM.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Re: What was the most challenging turn for you at Pueblo?

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    and why? Did you improve over time or want some more of it to get it right?
    Turn = 4
    Why = Beause it took so long to walk out there.
    Improve time = I think my time got slower, but i did make it back in record time when it started raining.
    More = He||s yeah!
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Sunday was the second time I rode PMP.
    Strange thing was that it was completely different turns I had trouble with on the two days.

1st time worse corner was #3, due to the track dropping out of sight and the straight out of #4 pulling my sight (and line) wide.
    Sunday it didn't happen once.
    Maybe because I was really concentrating on not letting it happen.

Sunday I only got the line right on #7 maybe twice all day.
    (That patch freaked me out, though it never effected the bike).

And #9 was harder this time than #10.
    The reverse of the first time out.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Probably 4 or 7... Scraped my toe on 4 every time if I wasn't setup just right, and on 7, I was always missing the line. 10 onto the straight wasn't terrible, it was just god awful bumpy....

Difficulties:

Turn 1: Coming in at the wrong place at the beginning and almost running off into the weeds. I got a talking to by Sasha about being way off my line (again, too enthusiastic ). I immediately slowed down and got under control since she said I nailed turn 2. The next time around and from then on I think I nailed it.

Turn 6b: The problem was with the boots I guess. Since my left ankle gets a bit painful, I got stiffer boots which does seem to help but it restricts my ability to shift easily so dropping into second causes me to shift around quite a bit on the bike. Once I'm set up, I got the apex just right.

Straight away: Since I unplugged my lights, I lost the tach and speedo so I didn't know where I was. I could feel the bike, well not lugging but I was under the power band vs right in it.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

My first time out at PMP on 2-wheels.... Can definitely work on getting better on each turn out there. Turn 10 is the one that really played mind games with me the most.

Lots of time in the future to work on all turns haha.

In looking at your map, if that's what the line's supposed to be, I was missing it on turn one and turn ten.

I came in farther to the left and flattened the top right of the corner coming a little wider as I exited but smoothly coming into turn two (a little sharper angle).

On ten I was aiming for the yellow arrow to the left of the track so I was coming in pretty far on the left, aiming (basically) for a pair of lighter patches (concrete I think) in the track. It seemed to work. Folks were taking the line you have there and I was able to take the corner a bit faster.

I'm pretty sure both of those were how I was instructed (real sure on 10, not so sure on 1). Sasha had us wait, wait, wait and then take the turn on a couple of the corners and I picked "landmarks" of spots where I should be on the curve trying to lay out the lines I was supposed to be on mentally.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Turn 4 was the most difficult to get my line and speed right.

Wish I could string together 45 minutes of riding to keep hitting it more than 5 or 6 laps in a row.

Will have to return to work on it.
    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

'06 Ducati 749S - Black with White Tail / '04 KTM 950 Adventure

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

I don't like turn 7 (personal demons on that one) and I almost got pitched off the bike due to a bad line and hitting a nasty bump on turn 10. I like exit 1 into 2 and 3...also 5 up into 6...those were just fun. I slid the rear on brake at least 1-2 times per session going into turn 9 too.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Turn 4 -

For me, it requires lots of precision when speed go up. A blown line can be ugly. It's not haul azz like 5 & 6, or slow like 7. It's a turn that CAN be fast, but I'm not close yet.
    Last edited by kixx; Mon Jul 30th, 2007 at 02:47 PM.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Yeah, 7 was the toughest one for me too. Not sure how slippery that patch would be when getting on the gas and I wasn't in the mood to experiment. I had heard so many horror stories about 10 that I just decided not to go hard through there.

But I was grinning ear-to-ear from 1 through 6. One thing I did notice was that the gearing on my 750 seemed too tall. This was also my first time on a big track riding an inline 4. My (limited) racing experience in the mid-80's was on v-4 750's so I found myself at times out of the powerband. The v-4's are a little more forgiving in that regard.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Turn 7 - I just never felt like I could get set up for it correctly

Turn 10 - All the bumps and patches, and drag-rubber got in my head and I was always a bit nervous going through there.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Easily Turn 10. I always felt like I was creeping through there. My eyes seemed to be on everything except the apex (i.e. track patches, the shiny black drag rubber, the tower, the next group staging). I never started my turn-in late but I did start it early a bunch of times

I also always gave a little extra attention to the pitted park of the track just ouside the line on Turn 3 although I never had any problems with it.

I guess there is always next time.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Let's start hearing from some of those who have more experience with line and speed as to how we should handle some of these turns.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

The turn where Sortarican was in front of me... but after I passed him, it was all good... .. just kidding Jeff..

Turn 7 was intimidating until I brought it up with my instructor.. who gave me a good focus point and after that - it was all GOOD.. except that one time I shifted into neutral and I ran wide and coasted through .. then 3 people passed me ... doh ! LOL
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    The turn where Sortarican was in front of me... but after I passed him, it was all good... .. just kidding Jeff..
    You lie like a Blue Tic hound on a hot August day on a front porch in Alabama!

I even tried to be a gentelman and let you pit-on in front of me and you refused.
    (If I didn't know better I'd think you didn't trust me riding behind you.)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Those lines are pretty good on the first track map. Turn 10 should be squared off a bit more with the surface. This will allow you to pick up the throttle a bit earlier. Remember, bikes like to be on the throttle, if you hit the bumps while on throttle, it will be like riding a dirtbike. This will also slightly extend the straight to allow better speed. Get of the seat and use your leg suspension to make it more rider-comfortable. Then pray to the traction gods. (not really, but makes you want to)

The line on 1 is pretty good representation, but alot of people dont see it. It is so wide and sweeping at the enterance that you can use part of the turn as the majority of the braking zone. Think this way... Brake...Turn a little... Stand it up some... brake... turn in a lot. If anything, I would stay wide on the straight a bit longer than that indicates.

Turn 7 line on that map is good, but needs to run a bit more wide on the exit. Think about it this way, hit the apex late like indicated (you will see the rubber marks) then in the turn, aim for the service road. This will keep you leaned over nearly all the way to the braking zone for 8, and will feel odd at first, but it is the fast way to do it. (Shane Turpin makes it look like an s-turn he is leaned over left all the way till he leans over right.)
    Last edited by Jayock; Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 09:50 AM.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

I voted turn 6. I don't stay on the throttle long enough up the hill out of 5, and lose ground coming through 6 because of it. The lines are good, just need to pick up the speed a bit. Nasty habit I'm trying to break. Looks like I'm the only one who voted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
    I voted turn 6. ... Looks like I'm the only one who voted for it.
    I loved 6 a/b, but it took a couple laps to stay on the throttle through the blind a section.

Your description of #7 was dead on to what I saw a lot of the faster riders doing.
    Turn late and stay down on it, keeps you out of the patch area too.
    Just couldn't wait that late myself, at least on purpose, did it once by accident when I dropped into 1st and had to stand up and scrub some speed.
    Not the prefered way to stay on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    I loved 6 a/b, but it took a couple laps to stay on the throttle through the blind a section.

Your description of #7 was dead on to what I saw a lot of the faster riders doing.
    Turn late and stay down on it, keeps you out of the patch area too.
    Just couldn't wait that late myself, at least on purpose, did it once by accident when I dropped into 1st and had to stand up and scrub some speed.
    Not the prefered way to stay on the line.
    Yep. I stay on in through the blind spot, and even past the crest. But people like Ricky Orlando and Jeff Brown stay on way later... tough competition. I often find myself not needing to fully use the track in 6, which means I'm going too slow.

And you don't avoid the patch, the correct line crosses it, but doesn't ride all the way along it.

Yep. I stay on in through the blind spot, and even past the crest. But people like Ricky Orlando and Jeff Brown stay on way later... tough competition. I often find myself not needing to fully use the track in 6, which means I'm going too slow.

And you don't avoid the patch, the correct line crosses it, but doesn't ride all the way along it.
    True and true.

I was one of the slower riders so staying on the throttle through #6 was easy, almost had to shift up halfway through a couple times.
    But yes, never came close to running out of track so I wasn't entering as fast as the bike could handle.
    I think being paranoid about downshifting into #7 left me slower through #6 too.

And yes, I meant to say the fast line in #7 has you crossing the end of the patch on #7 but not riding along it.
    (Which I did a couple times by turning before the apex and taking too low a line on it and coming out WAY wide.)

I found myself running the Tuna Boat faster and faster up the hill from 5 over and through 6. I could use the weight of the bike to scrub off a little speed (but not much). 7 was in second gear but I kept changing lines. I've heard the best way to come in is tight on the turtle and then cut over with throttle about half way on the patch??? How's that hold up for you?

Rider Workshop-USA

I dont pay attention to the patch, so im not sure about your throttle point but I come through pretty tight on the very end of the apex, pretty damn close to the line drawn on the track map, but exit more wide. I have my knee over dirt, and tires just about touching the curbing.