Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding the twisties with respect

Read Only

Riding the twisties with respect

So, this is my first ever post, however I've been a reader for a long time now. Since I started reading on this site, I found several of the posts entertaining, and some concerning, and judging the average maturity factor of many posts, I decided that I would likely not fit in with this crowd, so I never bothered to come to a MoCo ride, etc.

So, I was out this weekend riding on Sunday, and the gf (a newbie this year) was riding with me (on her own bike). And she'd already come along pretty well since the beginning of the season, and thus we were keeping up a spirited pace from Nederland out to Lyons.

Then some friggin moron on what I think was a black R6 (couldn't really tell), appears in my mirrors and is not only riding my ass, but standing on his pegs, swerving back and forth accross the road demonstrating both disrespect, and his ignorance. Even though, I am sure to him... he was demonstrating his need to get by me (even though I was already keeping up a decent clip at 15 - 20+ mph over the speed limit). This dipshit was riding with a buddy on a KTM I think?

So, I decide to ignore this numbnut and just ride my own ride. Five minutes later, he roars past me (at nearly 110mph) at the enterance to a left hand sweeper, not only scaring the living shit out of me, but also risking his own life by crossing the double yellow at the enterance to a corner.

About 500 ft later I slow down... pull over to the side to let what I assume is numbnut #2 on the KTM go by.

I then resume my original pace only to catch up with these morons as numbnut #1 is riding wheelies behind a SUV he had caught up to.

I back off to keep my distance from this chump, and then they go screaming past 3 cars and 2 other bikers in a no passing zone, at which time I was praying for a cop to be rounding the next corner (and I hate cops).

So, I thought this might be a good time for a post about why I don't ride with you guys, why I never will.

If you must go that fast... go to a track. I really don't care if you kill yourself, I just feel bad for the other innocent people that will get hurt by people riding like this. I feel bad for people who have to pay higher insurance premiums because of morons like this.

In fact, I even feel bad for the people who get stuck in traffic for hours when the police and EMTs are trying to find pieces of your body out on 119.

-- AJ

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Riding the twisties with respect

Hey AJ,

I'm not sure who the guy you speak of was, and he may well post here, but what you describe isn't the type of riding that we condone, promote or organize. The club has a huge range of personalities and I know that there are lots of riders here that ride the way you do. (I'm one of them). This last weekend we had a huge track day at Pueblo where 63 of us participated. Many took on further riding education during this day and learned how to be better, safer riders. In 6 hours of riding on the track we had only one person fall down and that caused no collateral damage. This is the kind of event we organize. Anyone here is free to post up a ride they are doing, but you'll see quickly the good ones and the bad ones. I invite you to give (some of) us a chance. I'm certain you'll find people you'll like riding with.

Best to you

Scott

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

This post makes me sad.

By all means ride with whomever you feel most comfortable - even if you choose to ride with nobody at all.

However, please do not catagorize us all into the same catagory of this one particular disrespectful, dangerous, ass hat.

It's really not fair to all the folks on this board who are great riders, great teachers and great friends.

Hope you have better experiences in the future.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Aj,
    Considering that you live in Erie, perhaps you might go out to IMI sometime and meet a few members there. I'm sure that you'll find that they are, in general, a decent bunch.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Read Only

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonneLass View Post
    However, please do not catagorize us all into the same catagory of this one particular disrespectful, dangerous, ass hat.

It's really not fair to all the folks on this board who are great riders, great teachers and great friends.
    True... and after re-reading my post I can see why it could be taken that way. However, it wasn't meant as a generalization about everyone on this site, just an observation and a rant. If you don't fall into the category of disrespectful, dangerous, ass-hat, then I am sure that you'll agree that there's still a bunch of disrespectful, dangerous ass-hats among the folks riding the twisties every weekend.

AKA "Devaclis"

There ARE a bunch of people like that. I see them every day. You are going to miss out on a lot by ostracising an entire community of riders, most of which are dedicated to rider education and safety and elevating our public image in Colorado.

Enjoy your rides!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awilbur77 View Post
    If you don't fall into the category of disrespectful, dangerous, ass-hat, then I am sure that you'll agree that there's still a bunch of disrespectful, dangerous ass-hats among the folks riding the twisties every weekend.
    Agreed. And that's why I don't ride too much up there and I'm pretty selective about who I'll ride with on the streets. I ride pretty damned conservatively on the streets. I'm usually riding with my brother in law who just started riding last year so we take it nice and easy. I get my need for speed filled at the track. You'll find quite a few in the CSC who share that mentality. As Pilot said, if you're in Erie come on out to IMI and meet up with us. I've taken to going there on Saturdays since the crowd is smaller.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Read Only

IMI - hmmm... might have to try that. I'd be a newbie at the track though. Anything I need for the bike to do that? I got the gear/leathers already.

Well of course they must be members of CSC, they were on sportbikes. I just love the general stereotypes and categorization people use. As was said above, you should actually meet up and ride with us sometime before making statements like that.
    '03 CRF 230 / '04 SV 650S / '05 CRF 450R - Arvada CO.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

I hear you man, there are a bunch of asshats out there that ride like they're in a gp race and are generally a menace to everyone around them.

I also agree that you should not judge a club or a group by a few jackasses, and am slightly offended by your statement that you would never ride with me or any of my friends because of someone (that may, or may not be in this club).

I invite you to come out to the Morrison Conoco on Sunday for our noob ride. This is going to be a very slow paced ride aimed at teaching some of our newer riders good lines and techniques. This would be an excellent opportunity to meet some of us and join us for a nice, safe ride.
    Check out the canyon carving section for more info.

Hope you can make it, if you do look me up.

--Brian
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Oh yea, that's a good idea B. Come on out on Sunday.

It will be a very well mannered group and will prove your first post wrong about us.

And if someone does decide to "act up", they are gonna get lit up like the god damn forth of July by me personally (yea I'm so bad at 5'4), with I'm sure a few people standing behind me agging me on.

Come play!
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

IMI - hmmm... might have to try that. I'd be a newbie at the track though. Anything I need for the bike to do that? I got the gear/leathers already.
    $35, and fold in your mirrors (or remove) and you're good to go. Let a little air out of your tires if you feel like it.

Your first time out, ask a not-noob to show you the "line" around the track, and explain protocol for passing and exiting, as well as what to do if someone crashes. Maybe watch a few laps before you head out. Ask anyone out there on two wheels for advice, people are generally happy to help out.

i know these types you speak of.
    they are very few(if any) in this group.
    i ride mostly in the northern section,but make my travels across the board.
    i have yet to find one person in this group that i dislike or feel go out of their way to be dangerous.
    there are many that are far more capable than i,but i never push myself to become them.

the general type you speak of would most likely be not allowed on the next ride if (he,she)were to mis-behave in the fashion you speak of.

i'm no angel,but damn sure wouldn't risk people around me for a little bit of fun.

BTW...the northerners are having a newb ride up and through trail ridge road on august 19th.
    we leave awfull early,but it would be good to show you that not all of us are asshats.
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

AKA "Devaclis"

The term asshats offends me. The verbal stunting is in this thread dangerous and uncalled for.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Smack my hand then give me a hug brother. I started it.

2005 SV650S Street

would you prefer bumhuggers????
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

AJ, I agree with many things you said, but you have to remember also, your 15-20 over the limit could be seen by others on 2 and 4 wheels as reckless no matter if you thought and felt it was still safe.

I get "spirited" as well when I am up there, but that's a big reason why I try to stay at a track now whether it be the infamous IMI or trying to move on to bigger tracks now. My streetbike won't allow me to go as fast through the turns.

If you can come to IMI this Saturday, let me know, whether it be to ride, or just come out and observe, get a feel of what goes on there and see how some of the CSC'ers are. I think you'll find that most of us tend to agree as far as riding opinions.....

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

AJ,

I think this statement is what made your post appear to be a generalization about everyone on this site:
    So, I thought this might be a good time for a post about why I don't ride with you guys, why I never will.
    I also took offense, for reasons already refuted by others. I think you've got the point, so I won't beat a dead horse (hopefully nobody else will either).

Keep the rubber side down.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Read Only

OK I get the point. Yet, another point, there are likely some "ass-hats" like that within CSC... but do you think they are going to own up to it. Doubt it. Ass-hats remain quiet with threads like this, because after all they are ass-hats.

So don't be an ass-hat, come on out with some of us and I am pretty sure you will see a different side from what you originally thought.

I'm a fucking
    Last edited by Bueller; Tue Jul 31st, 2007 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I'm a fucking
    F-duck!!! He beat me to it!
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Whats a twisty?
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

I have actually ridden more than I post (quite obvious for those who are proficient in mathematics), and have never witnessed the wheelie behind the SUV move. I have seen the passing over the double yellow into a blind corner, or the passing on the inside in a blind corner, however none of those people ride twice with the group. As a disclaimer, of course, the people on the rides are not always CSC'rs, sometimes some stragglers show up, decide a group ride sounds fun, and end up being of the chapeau-derriere sort. I hate all generalizations, anyway.

I do, however appreciate the work of a word smith, i.e. ass-hat. Damn creative, original, and the stuff that keeps posts like this jovial.