Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You don't need a race license to ride in R2SL THIS WEEK!

You don't need a race license to ride in R2SL THIS WEEK!

Seems the word that we changed this didn't get around like I was hoping.

We've relaxed the requirements to allow more people to participate. You do not need a race license or completion of a race school in order to come out and ride! Here's what you will need:

- Full leathers, motorcycle boots, full helmet, long gloves (aka gauntlet).
    - No antifreeze in your street bike (we'll have some gallon jugs you can drain it into there, if you don't do it at your house). This is a safety thing, that stuff is like ice to bikes if it spills on the track. If you feel you need an additive, Water Wetter is good as are any of the NON-GLYCOL-BASED products.
    - We are not requiring taped lights, though it's highly suggested. We'll have masking tape there and can help you unplug them so the tape doesn't bake on. Removing your mirrors isn't required either, but again highly suggested. If not removed, pull them in and tape them.

At this point the only thing you need a race license or proof of a school for, is to use one of the R2SL loaner bikes. To ride your own, just sign up and come out!

Now ... You need to sign up and let us know when you're coming out, before you do. There isn't a deadline per se, but you should do it as soon as possible and no later than the day beforehand. Where can you sign up? You need to go to the following website, and fill out the form at the bottom to get on the list:

http://www.racing2savelives.org/race.php

How much does it cost? Well, a minimum donation of $20 for every 3 hour slot you or your team signs up for will be required, per rider. This is still way cheaper than the $45 you'd pay normally. However there are pledge forms available - if you get pledges that meet or exceed the $20 per rider requirement, you don't pay a thing! This is a great way to get some tracktime and help a GREAT cause. If you have the gear, and have a bike, there is no reason why you wouldn't want to come out!

Now, go sign up! You know you want to.

Okay so, I'm a little dense...

Let me try this scenario....

So next week comes and I some how manage to get a day off and want to ride.

Can I just show up at the track donate a minimum of 20 bucks to ride for 3 hours (being the generous soul I am, of course I'd donate more than that)?

Is it strictly the R2SL event, meaning if I come out, its not like a Test and Tune day at SCR. I can go out on the track when I want and leave the track when I want?

So, anyone that comes out and wants to ride, would actually be riding for R2SL meaning would be part of the endurance effort and would have to wait to go out? (Basically, my question about treating it like a test and tune day at SCR)

Thanks!
    '03 Harley-Davidson V-Rod

re: leathers - does it have to be leathers or are the armored nylon suits ok to wear?? (i'm assuming they're not but figured i'd throw out the ??)

if they aren't i'll try to get some leathers if i can get my bike moving (safely) again by next weekend.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Quote Originally Posted by MostroS4

Okay so, I'm a little dense...
    You're not the only one... I'm confused too.

Aside from the questions you pose (I have the same ones), is this a race? How do teams win? Most laps? Most $$ donated?

I can't get time off from work next week - but would try to come out Tues/Thurs evening if I can... and if I could figure out how this is gonna work.

geoff

Ok let me try to answer all of these:

On gear ... Textile suit is ok, doesn't have to be leather per se. But it does need to be a full-body suit (one or two piece) and zip together.

Basically what we've done with SCR is this: The track will be bikes-only all week. You CAN just show up, though if you're not there for R2SL you will have to pay $45 to ride. If you can come out though we ask that you at least sign up, it's not like we're going to hunt you down if you don't show up but it helps us know when our peak times will be and how to plan this out better. Of course if you just show up and say you want to ride in R2SL you'll be able to, but if you think you'll be able to plan ahead in your schedule, please go sign up - it just really helps us out with what is already going to be a hectic week.

The cost is $20 for each 3 hour slot you sign up for, naturally more is welcome since this does all go to help the kids. However, if you download the pledge form and get enough pledges to meet or exceed that $20, you ride for free! (Not a bad way to spend an evening, eh?) Also if you sign up you'll get the pledge form sent to you along with the rules, which you'll need to have read in advance of being allowed to go out anyway.

Regarding this being a "race": We're working on some prizes for the team(s) that get the most miles, most pledges, etc. It's not like a sprint race where it's 8 laps and you're done; it is endurance riding however since in order to have friendly competition for the most miles ridden, you have to ride for a while.

In terms of it's likeness to a true race environment - we're going to have registration there, tech inspection (just making sure the bike is safe basically, and that no antifreeze is in it), flaggers in some of the corners, etc. It's going to be a lot of fun, and of course the cause is a great one.

Thanks - that clears things up for me.

geoff

and me too... thanks ralph!!
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

No prob! See you both out there next week!

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    No prob! See you both out there next week!
    ... if i have my new front wheel you will i asked my dad if i could use one of his bikes... said that's a big negative on any of his bikes being under me on a track
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

What's the deal on the loaner bikes? What are they, does it cost extra, etc?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy
    What's the deal on the loaner bikes? What are they, does it cost extra, etc?
    We have 2 R6's and 2 GSXR 750's. No extra cost but they are first come first served, and as I said in the first post, you will need a race license or proof of school completion (Mark Schellinger will be there and his blessing will suffice) to ride an R2SL loaner bike.

Otherwise you can come ride your own, provided you have all the gear and take the antifreeze out.

Hint: Download the pledge form and get some donations, and you won't have to pay anything! The first event ever, where even the unemployed can afford tracktime.

Yeah, thanks of for the clarification!

I'm going to confirm I can get Thursday off....

In the meantime I'll go ahead and sign up....
    '03 Harley-Davidson V-Rod

I plan to ride all day Friday... I have all week next week off too.

I will cling to a team pretty soon here.

But right... now I feel like shit.
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R
    '02 Malaguti Yesterday 50

I'll be out Friday after work also to help, party, etc.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Rick T.

get well soon rick!!
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Quote Originally Posted by R1100S
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick T.

get well soon rick!!
    ditto
    Marilou

'05 Ducati Monster S2R Dark

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together... keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Would this be something I could bring my kids to watch ( they've only been around me and my buddies bikes) or would they pretty much be bored?
    03 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by 3/4gixxer
    Would this be something I could bring my kids to watch ( they've only been around me and my buddies bikes) or would they pretty much be bored?
    Well, it's not going to be quite as exciting as an MRA race day to watch, but Friday afternoon might be fun for 'em.

Cool thanks, they think it'd be cool to see some more bikes. I assume it's free to watch?
    03 GSXR 750

Absolutely free to watch! Though we are selling event shirts for $20 (proceeds to charity) if you feel so inclined.

What if Im really slow? Will I just be in the way? Id love to come out and ride but cant afford to wad my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesf4i
    What if Im really slow? Will I just be in the way? Id love to come out and ride but cant afford to wad my bike.
    People are gonna be riding for an hour at a time. You won't be getting your paint sucked off.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

So much for the first day of summer Ralph, are you bagging it today?

I need a teammate to ride a R2SL bike on Wed 6 to dark...
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy
    So much for the first day of summer Ralph, are you bagging it today?

I need a teammate to ride a R2SL bike on Wed 6 to dark...
    John, I'm already signed up to ride one of their bikes on Wed and AFAIK I am teamed up with one other rider at the moment, so give Ralphy a shout and see if he can just add you to my "group".