Thread: Need for Pueblo-- 2007 ZX6 fuel pump/gas tank ASAP PLEASE

Exclamation Need for Pueblo-- 2007 ZX6 fuel pump/gas tank ASAP PLEASE

Terra MRA #112, whom many of you know and love and who won Novice GTU last go around at Hastings and is in the chase for First this year just had a bad bit of luck. His fuel pump failed this afternoon. He has checked at all dealers and no one has the fuel pump.

So, here is what he is asking from you or anyone you know (call your bud with that new ZX6) that will help. You never know, you could have a good story to tell at the bar if he ends up taking first this year.

TERRA is asking for your fuel tank. Which he will remove the fuel pump from and then buy you an brand new pump and have it installed. He'll then see that the tank gets back on your bike. Plus, I'm sure he'll share some damn fine tequila with you too! Seriously, he needs your help.

Have a heart. Help a racer and damn good guy.

If you can help, call me at 303-961-5672 and we will make arrangements to get the tank from you.

Most sincerely,
    Pilot
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Re: Need for Pueblo-- 2007 ZX6 fuel pump/gas tank ASAP PLEASE

He needs to post it on the MRA board, people might have a spare or know a sutible sustitute.

Damn, I hope he finds one, he is running short on time.....

He couldn't talk a dealership into taking the pump off of a new bike? I can't say which ones, but I have "heard" of one doing this.....they just go and order a new part and replace it later.
    Last edited by Slo; Fri Aug 10th, 2007 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    Damn, I hope he finds one, he is running short on time.....

He couldn't talk a dealership into taking the pump off of a new bike? I can't say which ones, but I have "heard" of one doing this.....they just go and order a new part and replace it later.
    We're working on that angle, too. It's just that it was so late in the day.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Im so sorry TERRA, and thanks to pilot for reaching out, bad timing man! I wish I had a newer 6r..I would do that for you. Timing is a big thing, but I also would have wished for more notice to see if I could work something at Colorado Powersports ...where you bought the bike. You cant control time or the circumstances of your needs. I wish I gave you my cell so you could call direct, but we are both at the last minute. Dealership closed an hour ago, and its locked up til tuesday. Ill be there tomorrow to say hi, hope something comes thru for you. We want to see you in the title hunt! Good meeting you a few sundays ago at the dinner in Pueblo.

Just wanted to pop in for a couple, before heading out to VIR for R2SL, and spread out some Kudos for everyone that supported me this weekend...

As this thread indicates, my 2007 ZX-6R race bike developed fuel delivery problems earlier in the week and we initially felt that it was due to the new kit ECU and Akrapovic cans... Power was cutting out from 13,500RPM to redline, which made for some white knuckle corners (close high sides) when the chassis unloaded due to sputtering power...

Bart and Brian put it on the dyno and tried to stress test it but couldn't replicate the problem... They tweaked the air/fuel ratios hoping to solve it through holistic tuning...

Unfortunately, on Friday, it was finally determined that the fuel pump was getting stressed from the heat and pressures in the gas tank after running 4 or 5 laps...

Friday, around 3:30pm, I was in need of a fuel pump ASAP... Though I could have raced with the existing pump, I would have had to race outside of my powerband and keep it below 13,000RPM - not good... Though I will say that after I beat on it with a mallet, I was able to run to around 14,000RPM before it started to cut out...

At the 11th hour, after many calls were made to every dealership between here and Denver - and a couple in California, it was apparent that no one was going to have this part in stock, and I could not red label it in as it was past the 3:00pm cutoff time for a Saturday delivery... Earliest would have been Tuesday...

Eirawen stepped up to the plate and contacted Grand Prix Motorsports and explained the situation... We were after one of the fuel pumps from one of the show room bikes... Unfortunately, Tony (General Manager) had left for the day and Chris (Parts Manager) could not get authorization for the surgical procedure... Also on Friday, Pilot went out of his way to post up a plea for help with this thread...

On Saturday - Pilot kicked into gear (at the track) and spoke with Tony and explained the situation directly to him... From there, Tony said he needed 15 minutes to think it over... At that point - we were all sweating bullets, and that 15 minutes felt like 15 hours... Tony came back with the answer we were all hoping for...

From there, a whole series of events kicked into motion, with 9+ people trying to get my bike race ready... Late in the day, the part finally arrived at the track for installation... Sadly though, it was too late in the day and the track had closed so there was no way to test it... In Sunday morning practice, I pushed the bike pretty hard and the motor felt really strong with no stuttering - that raised my confidence that it would survive the race, even though I felt the need to be a little conservative in the corners as the sudden power loss could happen at any moment... Losing power while driving out of the apex is never a good thing, and can set you up to feel like superman as you are launched off the bike in a high side...

At this point, I would like to thank all of the people that poured in their support in helping me get the bike race ready...

Faster! (TK Motorsports):
    Bart and Brian, for their genuine and heartfelt concern in trying to isolate and fix the problem both in the shop and at the track...

Bart even took my race bike out on the track, after I had it hot enough that the problem was evident... Upon which he would come in and hook to the ECU to try and tune out the stuttering...

These guys are truly passionate about the sport and give themselves above and beyond what anyone could *ever* expect!

Grand Prix Motorsports:
    Bill - Owner
    Tony - General Manager
    **For authorizing the surgery
    Chris - Parts Manager
    **For getting the ball rolling
    Mike - Service Manager
    **For actually performing the surgery

They came through for us at the 11th hour, when no one else could... It was amazing the lengths they went to in coming up with the fuel pump - even though they took the risk of having the bike off the showroom floor on a Saturday...

My Pit Crew:
    Eirawen - for getting the ball rolling with Grand Prix Motorsports (GPM)
    Pilot - for sealing the deal with GPM
    Christina - for transporting the part from Denver to Pueblo

I would also like to thank the various people that I ran into at the track that knew of my situation, offering their condolences and wishing they could have helped...

On race day, after the first couple laps, my confidence increased that the problem had been mitigated, thereby allowing me to push the bike harder... This brought forth a 7 second lead, and everything just felt right... However at the end of the race, I ended up taking 2nd place, with Ron Baird (373) having a truly amazing run... Ron was absolutely on fire, running 1:36's (WOW!), and reeled in my lead when I was working on negotiating through lap traffic... In turn 10, heading for the checkered, he made a ballsy move and took a bumpy line as I had the smooth line occupied... On the outside, he rode out the bucking bronco and got it upright enough to really pour on the juice... By the time I caught a glimpse of him in my peripheral with what he was doing, it was already too late and he out drove me to the finish... In the end, that is what racing is all about, and Ron stepped up to the plate that day and truly earned that 1st place... I tip my helmet to you Ron for an exciting and amazing race...

All of the above is why I'm hooked on racing... There is so much excitement, as well as the trials and tribulations (and even disappointments), and it really will tell you a lot about yourself and your friends... The MRA really is like one huge family, with everyone trying to help out each other in whatever way they can...

Thank You!

--
    Terra
    >>>He who dies with the most toys is still dead.<<<
    Black 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R
    Black 2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R (MRA #112)
    Blue 2006 Yamaha WR450F
    Black 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC (URD SuperCharged)
    Black 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX
    White 2002 Horton "The Wedge" 16' trailer

Awesome, glad to see so many ended up pulling through for you!!!!

Jay, you woulda loved it. Especially wrenching after dark at the track on Saturday night. I now know why everyone goes in their trailers at sunset. Fricking bloodsucking mosquitoes! It was one hell of a race!

Rider Workshop-USA

Nobody missed the bike on the floor on Saturday. It was dead slow anyhow. Glad everything worked out!

Quote Originally Posted by Κανελλόπουλος View Post
    Nobody missed the bike on the floor on Saturday. It was dead slow anyhow. Glad everything worked out!
    You don't know how much it really was appreciated. Now, if I could only afford a ZX6 we'd have two in the docks.

Rider Workshop-USA

Hahaha .. I know the feeling. I have to walk around with them shining at me all day in the showroom.