Thread: dirt bike registration/title/street

Board Newbie

dirt bike registration/title/street

I'm looking for a light "dual sport" for some trail riding, but need to be able to street it to get to the trails.

Anyone familiar with conversion/registration policies in Colorado? I'm looking at a '96 Honda XR400R. Already has a head and tail light. Not sure it's ever been titled.

Thanks

You will need a brake light switch, (either front or rear activation will work) a rear view mirror, a working headlight, and a bicycle bladder horn. Some DMV places will actually inspect the bike for these items, so make sure you have them. The XR's have a rear tail light already, but you must have a switch on your front or rear brake which will activate the tail light when you brake. You will fill out a form at the DMV and they may or may not inspect it, and you'll be on your way.

Or you could buy my XT: Click Me
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Board Newbie
    Your XT is half the price, but it looks like twice the bike, if you know what I mean.

Tell me about it though. Looks like water or oil cooled?

Air cooled. Bulletproof- same as the XR. ~325 lbs and the low end power of a wooly mammoth. Handles GREAT in the canyons and will go through or over ANYTHING. Advantages to an XR400 are that it's already titled and you can remove stuff to make it suit you instead of putting stuff on to make the bike legal. It already has a decent electrical system so you wouldn't have to rewind the stator. Front suspension is air- I'm not sure how it compares to the XR but it has 10 inches of bounce.

Advantages of an XR is that there are a TON of aftermarket products out for it. It's lighter and equally bulletproof. But then you also have to hassle with making it legal. Either way, they're both good bikes.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Dirt bike registration

Dont forget to get insurance,as it is required to get a plate.

Late Bash
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Board Newbie
    Thanks for the tips.

Sounds like the biggest hurdle will be getting this past the wife...

Re: Dirt bike registration

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed
    Dont forget to get insurance,as it is required to get a plate.

Late Bash
    Nope. They can ask but you don't have to produce it. That law was on a temporary basis, and as far as I know has not been extended yet.