Thread: my first time at the track in years....

my first time at the track in years....

I've dragged cars at the track but that was years ago. Dragging the bike down the 1/4 is a whole different story. The only thing constant between when I race cars/bikes is my lack of consistency, LOL.

I had a lot of fun.
    My traps were anywhere from 104-117
    60's anywhere from 1.9-2.5
    ET was anywhere from 11.9-17.3 (don't ask, HAHA)

I guess I just need more practice to gain consistency. I also learned some things about the bike and I need to change a thing or two that kept bugging me. I hope to get back at some point. I know the pig has a mid 11 in it.

I also had fun racing shawn/sean (not sure how he spells it) but he had a slightly modded tiller. Just met him while I was there, he is from p-town, not sure if he is on here. really nice guy. I would have liked to hear the two twins racing, probably sounded pretty cool.

anyway I also hope to get to pueblo to race the other track. I need a lot more skill for that though, and more gear.

good times

Re: my first time at the track in years....

Glad you had fun at the drag strip..... It just takes more seat time.

ok went to the track again last night.

previous best (from the 22nd, first night at the track)
    11.98 @117 with a 1.99 60ft

new best (from the 29th, second time at the track)
    11.77 @120 with a 2.06 60ft

I know I can get a 11.6 out of it. my launch and my 1-2 shift are getting me but I am getting better. scuba steve ran my bike and pulled an 11.6 something on it, hes a better rider than I, thats for sure, plus the weight difference doesent help me, LOL. more incentive to lose weight.

I have sprockets that need to be put on, and I have no form of tuning so with those things, and some more rider skills I am going to see where I am at in relationship to 10's as that is all I want to touch really.

Are there not many draggers on these forums or are people just not commenting on how slow i am?

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixr2 View Post
    Are there not many draggers on these forums or are people just not commenting on how slow i am?
    I prefer road courses myself. I would think an RC51 would turn mid-10s once you got your technique down.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I don't think your doing bad at all, especially just starting off. You may want to hold off on the sprockets to work on your technique more, once you get better and more consistent times, then goto the new sprockets and see how much of a difference they make especially off the line. But then enjoy trying to keep the front end down especially in the first two gears depending on how many teeth you change out.

Yeah, I would love to get the pig to somewhere more suited to its liking (course) but like I said in the first post, I still need to pick up full leathers, and the track kinda intimidates me. I have to get leathers anyway (they wouldnt let me run anymore at PMI because I kept trapping 120's. so I will pick up leathers and then I will have one less excuse on why I cant go to a track. yeah from reading, it seems at sea level 10's arent too hard. I doubt there are many if any rc51's that drag around here so I dont have much to compare to.

jay,
    that is what I was thinking. I started hitting consistant high 11's the other night and am feeling much more comfortable with launching it and shifting it now. but I definitely can still improve. I already have the sprockets. I picked them up because I needed a chain badly and figured might as well while I am in there. well see.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I prefer road courses myself. I would think an RC51 would turn mid-10s once you got your technique down.

Dirk

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixr2 View Post
    Yeah, I would love to get the pig to somewhere more suited to its liking (course) but like I said in the first post, I still need to pick up full leathers, and the track kinda intimidates me.
    It'd be cool to have you out there. I've actually been considering getting an RC51 for a track bike.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I used to drag race cars 2. Never been out on the bike think I'll have to give it a go next year. Do need a drivers license to run ?

I can't remember at any time while at PMI, that they asked for my license. Maybe someone else can give more insight.

I'll just keep this going as I have posted in here with other things. Also seems I am one of the only ones into dragging bikes (at least on CSC)

So last year after two or three track visits I ended with a best of
    11.77 @120 with a 2.06 60ft

That 60' is terrible and I know I can click off better, 1.9/1.8 would be nice if I could get it consistent.

Since then I have done a 520 chain conversion with both sprokets changed as well. A whole new bike, it will actually pick up the front on throttle alone which it could not do before.

So now I have my intake/exhaust/gearing/minimal weight savings done. The bike is not easy to ride. The power is more of an on/off switch with all the mods and no form of tuning. It's manageable in a straight line (but not enjoyable) but in the corners it's down right nerve wrecking.

I will continue to update this thread as a progression of my bike. and eventually which seems like it will be an eternity right now, I will update my 1/4 stats. thanks for reading!

What sprocket changes did you do? Also, I may make it to Bandimere this next year a couple of times. I have to practice on the track bike, but also have my Busa that still has it's friggin cherry haha. Keep us updated on your progress......

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post

Dirk
    At sea level. Not at 5000+ feet.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

oh so true, any anyone who has ever dragged anything (bike, car, van, whatever, ) knows that. FI vehicles don't suffer nearly as bad, but NA vehicles suffer major. I have seen on average NA vehicles run about a second slower from sea level to altitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
    At sea level. Not at 5000+ feet.
    As I said I did the 520 conversion, I know the gain from that is negligible but it still is less rotating mass and every bit counts, plus I dont feel like my chain is about to snap and take my leg when I ride now, so that is good. I also went to an AFAM 15 front (down one) and a Stealth 43 rear (up 3). the stealth is a trick multiple metal sproket to save weight while still keeping some longevity (as much as a twin can have).

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Unfortuntly the thing to a good time is a good 60 ft time.
    you will not get one on that hyd clutch setup.
    I have found that to control wheelies/wheelspin and keep
    a good time is to keep the throttle pinned and modulate
    the clutch.Since the RC has what I consider a on or off
    clutch this is going to be incredibly hard to achieve.
    My old ZX9 pulled a 10:4 on 125 hp and 400 lbs on the 2nd
    run with stock gearing @ Bandi.I was two years off the track.
    The RC which I have also owned might break into the 10'S with
    some seat time but probably not much more in my opinion.

Later Bash
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

bash I never knew you dragged. you are more then welcome to come down with me next time and show me up on my bike. I have heard that countless times as far as the clutch goes being hydro vs cable. I have considered emailing thorsten to take care of this issue

Board Newbie

I plan to get out and race at Bandimere a few times this year. Hope to run under 13 on the Ducati Monster 695.

It will be nice to get more drag bike racers out there this year. They are considering have the show Pinks come out to Bandimere in 2008.
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

I thought it is all ready set-up? Pinks All-out?
    2007 Triumph Daytona 675

I am completly new to drag racing but very curious and trying to learn more. I would eventually like to give it a try (just for fun not really competitive) but have no idea were to even get started. Are there "special" bike nights at Bandimere or even just informal times where most bikers meet out there? I would probaby want to come out and watch a few times to kind of get an idea of how everything works etc. Or even better is there any kind of motorcycle drag school or anything (I have heard of some back east and in CA but nothing out here of course)?

Thanks for any info,
    Kory

Thanks,
    kory

Question Re: my first time at the track in years....

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Unfortuntly the thing to a good time is a good 60 ft time.
    you will not get one on that hyd clutch setup.
    I have found that to control wheelies/wheelspin and keep
    a good time is to keep the throttle pinned and modulate
    the clutch.Since the RC has what I consider a on or off
    clutch this is going to be incredibly hard to achieve.
    My old ZX9 pulled a 10:4 on 125 hp and 400 lbs on the 2nd
    run with stock gearing @ Bandi.I was two years off the track.
    The RC which I have also owned might break into the 10'S with
    some seat time but probably not much more in my opinion.

Later Bash
    Interesting, what was your 60ft and trap speed? I cut consistent 1.9 60fts and some 1.8's on my stock 06 CBR 1000rr (11.01@130) and consistent 1.8's with it strapped and -1 up front (10.82@129), I think it has a 1.7 in it still. I haven't had an issue with the hydrolic clutch and kinda like it. I think a 1.8 60ft on a near stock bike it pretty respectable. I have'nt heard of anything better then a 1.7 60ft on a stock bike until you lower it and/or extend it. Most guys I see at the track on bikes are cutting 2.x 60fts. I'm just curious what you consider a "good 60ft time"?