Thread: Brake Bleeding question??

Brake Bleeding question??

Ok so I replaced my lines, and used a speed vac to get the fluid down through the system, and now I am going to do the pump and release method from the brake lever to finish off bleeding the system. When I pull the brake lever in do I have to close the bleeder valve everytime I want to release the lever, or can I just keep pumping and releasing with the bleeder valve opened the whole time, and after about two reseviors of fluid, just hold the brake lever down and close the bleeder valve?? Thanks
    Let's Ride!!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar
    This sorrta walks you through the process. Check it out:

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

unless you have speed bleeders (aftermarket product) you have to close the bleeder valve before you release the lever.

Set the lever adjuster so that the lever is furthest from the bar
    Pump the lever three or four times and hold it against the pressure
    Open the bleeder valve (the lever will go to the bar as the fluid/air somes out the bleeder valve)
    Close the bleeder valve
    Release the lever, pump it a few times and repeat the process

if you leave the valve open when you release the lever the negative pressure in the system will draw air back into the caliper through the bleeder valve. speed bleeders are a "one way" valve that eliminate that possibility.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Thanks guys. I have a speed bleeder, but I just want to finish off the process manually. I am getting a lot of air through the bleeder valve itself, with my speed bleeder, but if I do it manually, no air goes through.
    Let's Ride!!

I bet air is getting through where your hose connects to the bleeder valve. That isn't going to hurt anything - no air will get into the system. And if you are doing it manually and no air escapes your probably good to go. I would try them out.

And yes, you have to close the valve before you release the lever when doing it manually, because if you don't it draws air back into the system.
    00' Hayabusa