Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to go racin'! But I don't know how....

Re: I want to go racin'! But I don't know how....

You can pick from the un-used numbers....

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    If you get your MRA novice license, what will be your 3-digit race number? Everyone here is gonna have to edit their signatures haha. Good luck on it, I should see you out there....
    Are you racing yet Jay?
    What classes?
    (And what # so I can drop that gay #56 from my sig line.)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Well DK, the way I see it, you are going to need 3 things to be successful that you may not already have:

1) Talent
    2) A good bike (try to avoid anything whose name starts with a "K" as they are unreliable - see KTM)
    3) A bikini for Shortcake to wear around the pits.
    3.a) Lots of other girls in bikinis for around your pit - sort of like Team Hunter, except without all the STDs.

Ha ha ha. Aren't I funny?

I would go 1 piece suit. The tire warmers are optional - no one used them back in my first Novice year (but then gasoline had just been invented) - but they give you all sorts of hero-confidence in turns 1,2,3. For spares, I would go with the stuff that gets bent and you need - clip ons, levers, foot controls, steering damper (if it is one of those side mounts). Nothing worse than breaking a brake lever on the last lap of practice and missing all the races. It turns out that I haven't said anything new, but I have enjoyed reading my own advice.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    So I've decided that I'm going to do a couple races in the MRA schedule next year. I'm going to register for Sportsman and Novice GTU.
    Congrats, that's great!

I have to toss my .02 in....run every class you can. Ride up in Novice and run both Amateurs too. You won't regret it.

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcake View Post
    Fine! I'll be your #2 fan. But only if I get a scooter out of it to ride around on at the races.

HELLO KITTY VESPA!!!! DO IT!!!!
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Thank you for your insight Adam, but could you elaborate on a couple items for me?

1) Talent - I have none, however I have lots of money, part of being fast is looking fast right? For now I will spend my money on gidgets and gadgets to impress people in the pits. Impressing them on the track will come later

2. Good Bike - I will peal off the "K" in "Kawasaki" and race a "Awasaki" then. Plus eliminating the "K" will save weight and surely make the bike faster right?

3. Bikini's - Is in necessary these match the color scheme of my race bike? Also do I need to supply umbrella's of the same fashion? What do bikini girls actually do besides hold my cold Monster drink?

303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

[quote=Filo;212101]Well DK, the way I see it, you are going to need 3 things to be successful that you may not already have:

1) Talent
    2) A good bike (try to avoid anything whose name starts with a "K" as they are unreliable - see KTM)
    quote]

Race under the name Optimus Prime and ride a Suzuki, you'll do great!
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    HELLO KITTY VESPA!!!! DO IT!!!!

You can tow your tire wagon with it! Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinCO View Post
    You can tow your tire wagon with it! Do it!
    See David, everyone thinks this scooter thing is a great idea. With all that money you have you can buy me one . If you do, I'll round up some more umbrella girls for you. We should also talk to Earl and see if you can get hooked up with Monster.

Jeanna

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

David, get ready for a 3 space number plate that nobody wants and don't forget that ugly yellow background. #56 or anyother two numberplate are reserved for Experts.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

And .02 more.....so now I'm up to .04.....

Tire warmers are great, but the real expense is the generator to run them. Can you spunge a generator off someone?

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Thank you for your insight Adam, but could you elaborate on a couple items for me?

1) Talent - I have none, however I have lots of money, part of being fast is looking fast right? For now I will spend my money on gidgets and gadgets to impress people in the pits. Impressing them on the track will come later

2. Good Bike - I will peal off the "K" in "Kawasaki" and race a "Awasaki" then. Plus eliminating the "K" will save weight and surely make the bike faster right?

3. Bikini's - Is in necessary these match the color scheme of my race bike? Also do I need to supply umbrella's of the same fashion? What do bikini girls actually do besides hold my cold Monster drink?

Pretty much nothing unless you're on the front row
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

DK don't buy used! You know that Ash!

I need an umbrella girl like you Ashli. Afterall, from what I can tell Dave just rides? You actually: remove/install tire warmers, get Dave's gear ready, paint and mount his race plastic, install front tires even after Dave lost the spacer, fill the bike with gas, etc.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Race it!
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

I have neither...wanna help me out? I will wear a bikini, but that would probably scare more people off than attract the attention (though people do like looking at train wrecks, so who knows).

Good luck on the racing...yes on the 1 pc suit and the tire warmers.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Race it!
    I KNOW WHAT I WANT FOR XMAS SANTA!!!!!
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    I KNOW WHAT I WANT FOR XMAS SANTA!!!!!
    I'm not santa, but you can sit on my lap baby
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

You seem to have plenty of cuties to hold your umbrella! But if you ever run out you can always rent some like the pros....

www.umbrellagirlsUSA.com

If you don't own a 2-piece do you think it would be better to just buy the one from the start?

How much are the entrance fees for race day? How much more does health insurance cost?
    2003 GSX-R750 Angry Marmot Motorsports #256
    Voted "Best Smelling Exhaust" May 2006

Quote Originally Posted by *KEN* View Post
    How much are the entrance fees for race day? How much more does health insurance cost?
    $130 for the first race, $20 for each after.

Some tracks have a surcharge of 10-20.

License, transponder are more. Then if you get into race tires, brakes and travel expenses it gets really fun!!!!

Health insurance doesn't change for racing (atleast through my employer) but life insurance did. It was definitely less than a 10% increase.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

A 1pc suit is definately necessary... seen too many zippers break apart on a crash, get rash because of it. 2pc suits are nice for track days here and there can you race in them? of course, is it a smart idea? absolutely not.

As for tire warmers, do you need them? no... do you NEED them.. YES! If you want to be remotely competitive, if you want to not have a cold tire crash you aboslutely need them. Practice sessions are 12 mins long. At pueblo thats about 4-5 hot laps (MAX) before the flag is back out again. Without tire warmers, in colorado the first and last race of the year, figure on two GOOD laps to warm up your tires at least. So this leave you 2 maybe 3 laps (doubtful if your trying to warm up your tires the first 2 laps)... keep in mind most places that people go down that have cold tires is turn two... a left hander after the left side of the tire hasnt been touched since turn 7 and a long cold straight away = bad things.

So you are looking at 2 practice laps a session... so 4 practice laps before the race, and then a warm up lap and turn 1 in a pack w/ tires that arent up to temp. That does not equal smart racing.

We make enough stupid decisions racing! start off with a few smart ones and get some good gear and accessory stuff

lel
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Oh as far as costs... chalk up a G a weekend for racing. Between Tires, entry fees, food, gas, race gas, logging, etc... there you have it. On a budget your still looking at $500 avg a weekend AT LEAST.

For some reason everything in motorcycle racing just seems to cost that magic number of about $1000 bucks.

lel
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM